The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!!

I believe you could go play by play picking apart every single throw that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make, given the proper...motivation.

You could. Find the video and I'll do it. And you'll see that they're capable of reading defenses and making adjustments. Wouldn't take long. Didn't take long to show what Cam Newton is all about. With the proper...motivation people will understand that he's not for the Dolphins.

LMFAO @ the notion that you "show(ed) what Cam Newton is all about".

The whole "high school offense" argument is boring. And toothless.

2nd Play: You can see that Cam's first read isn't open, and Cam has to throw elsewhere and then it's intercepted.

I'm pretty sure that interception wasn't his fault. The throw went right through the guys hands.
He made the right read and nice throw on that play

1st Play: Direct flip to his far left receiver. Pre-snap, Cam knew exactly where he was throwing the football.

2nd Play: You can see that Cam's first read isn't open, and Cam has to throw elsewhere and then it's intercepted.

3rd Play: Cam knows where he wants to throw pre-snap. That option isn't there so he runs.

4th Play: Watch the playaction. Cam has zeroed in on the far receiver as soon as he playactions. Never made any other read. He knows exactly where he wants to throw the football.

5th Play: Cam identifies the blitz to his right side. Comes right back to his left to the back out of the backfield. He knew exactly where he was going with the football pre-snap. Designed screen.

6th Play: Cam's first option is taken away. He then has to look elsewhere. Georgia got there just a little too early but they read Cam perfectly.

7th Play: Playaction. Again, Cam knows exactly where he's going pre-snap. Designed read option. This is a lot of what Chip Kelly and Derron Thomas did this season that made them so successful. Fake handoff, QB steps up, then steps back and fires over the middle.

8th Play: Rolls to his right, locked onto his intended receiver the entire time.

9th Play: Rolls to his left. His intended receiver is blanketed and Georgia brought more than Auburn could handle. Again, pre-snap he knows where he wants to throw the football.

10th Play: Makes one read and it's the guy the play is designed for. This is Gus Mahlzan's MO. This is how his offense works. Very, very simplistic.

11th Play: Same as the 7th play only this time he locks on to his intended receiver and waits for him to get open.

12th Play: Designed playaction screen play. Lineman pull and allow the blitzer to go free. Cam knows this when he rolls to his right and knows he's gonna have to get rid of the football quickly. Gus does a very good job of explaining to his offense how defenses will react to his playcalls.

13th Play: Probably the best pass he throws in this video. Playaction pass but it appears that Cam makes more than one read for this first time in this video and delivers a strike for six.

14th Play: Cam throws left to the intended receiver. Pre-snap Cam knows where he wants to throw the football. Auburn receivers do a great job of getting open due to Mahlzan's system.

I'm sure the rest of the video is similar but I'm done with it. This is the Auburn system. This is how it works. If you look at Gus Mahlzan's career, he has been very very successful with his QB's and WR's. Cam doesn't have to make reads, doesn't have to adjust, rarely runs for his life in the pocket. These are things he will face in the NFL on every single play. Not all of these kids in college are five stars. The dudes in the NFL are the best of the best. Cam has to be capable of understanding complex NFL systems and read complex NFL defenses.

the camera shows him looking outside comes off of it and throws a catchable ball inside middle to #80 (not a check down option) and the ball should have been caught...how do you bang newton for that play??? he went from his initial read to his secondary and threw a good ball that the wr flipped up in the air...

I also thought I saw signs of him anticipating pretty well, and throwing it before the guy was really open. The more I look at him, the more I become pleasantly surprised.

i'm not saying the kid will make it in the pros...but i know one thing...the kids immensely talented and has physical tools that are off the charts

that's really all it comes down to for me...i need a qb and he's one hell of a talent

I've stayed away from all the Cam Newton discussions because I really am torn on what I think about him. It's like imagining you have a shot at the most beautiful woman in the world, only you can't shake the fact that she's a complete train wreck liable to ruin the next few years of your life. The problem with investing a first rounder is it's not having a weekend fling, it's having a baby. And not the sanitized, I-realize-I-actually-love-you-like-in-Knocked-Up kind of baby. More like I-have-to-kill-you-like-in-Match-Point-because-you're-pregnant kind of baby.

It really is the kind of thing with Newton where whenever I watch him play, I start to believe a little bit. Maybe he really is that guy we've all been waiting for. That quantum leap player. But then after I turn it off and start thinking about him, start putting everything together, on the field and off, he's Akili Smith... another one year wonder with a rocket arm, great accuracy and mobility. A lot of people were sold on Smith in 1999, let's remember, and he went #3 overall. Phil Simms still talks about him. And then I put the tape of Newton back on, and I start believing again.

But like CK, the notion that it's a "high school offense" doesn't really get to me. I mean, if it's really that simple, why can't anyone stop it?

Because you need a Cam Newton, that's why, and everyone knows -- even his detractors -- that guys like him don't come around very often.

The "he only makes one read" thing is common complaint for college quarterbacks, but first of all, it's never as true as people say it is. And secondly, plenty of guys who had that said about them went on to be successful.

My sense of this is that pretty much everyone is fully blown away by what they see of Newton when they watch him. The question is completely about what's locked up in that smiling, skating on the edge of eligibility head of his. In my opinion, it's virtually inevitable that someone will fall in love with him and take him high. Probably more than one person. The Bills are sitting at #3, but it would not shock me at all to see Mike Shanahan make a call to John Elway to deal for the #2 overall pick. Not a bit.

Though I consider Blaine Gabbert to be my slam dunk #1 quarterback, it would not surprise me at all to see Newton go ahead of him. History says at least one quarterback will be taken in the first three picks of the draft. It's happened every year since 2001 (Chad Pennington went 18th in 2000).

If Newton is there at #15 I am 100% for it. I can't imagine Miami having a better shot at a QB with his skill set any time soon. Leadership, makes plays with his feet, has shown he can throw 100 mph and throw a touch pass.

Really, what isn't to like about Newton as a player? Unless, you just don't like him for personal reasons...How does throwing the laptop out the window not translate well to the NFL? Shows he makes a quick decision to get rid of the ball when about to be caught.

1st Play: Direct flip to his far left receiver. Pre-snap, Cam knew exactly where he was throwing the football.

3rd Play: Cam knows where he wants to throw pre-snap. That option isn't there so he runs.

4th Play: Watch the playaction. Cam has zeroed in on the far receiver as soon as he playactions. Never made any other read. He knows exactly where he wants to throw the football.

5th Play: Cam identifies the blitz to his right side. Comes right back to his left to the back out of the backfield. He knew exactly where he was going with the football pre-snap. Designed screen.

6th Play: Cam's first option is taken away. He then has to look elsewhere. Georgia got there just a little too early but they read Cam perfectly.

7th Play: Playaction. Again, Cam knows exactly where he's going pre-snap. Designed read option. This is a lot of what Chip Kelly and Derron Thomas did this season that made them so successful. Fake handoff, QB steps up, then steps back and fires over the middle.

8th Play: Rolls to his right, locked onto his intended receiver the entire time.

9th Play: Rolls to his left. His intended receiver is blanketed and Georgia brought more than Auburn could handle. Again, pre-snap he knows where he wants to throw the football.

10th Play: Makes one read and it's the guy the play is designed for. This is Gus Mahlzan's MO. This is how his offense works. Very, very simplistic.

11th Play: Same as the 7th play only this time he locks on to his intended receiver and waits for him to get open.

12th Play: Designed playaction screen play. Lineman pull and allow the blitzer to go free. Cam knows this when he rolls to his right and knows he's gonna have to get rid of the football quickly. Gus does a very good job of explaining to his offense how defenses will react to his playcalls.

13th Play: Probably the best pass he throws in this video. Playaction pass but it appears that Cam makes more than one read for this first time in this video and delivers a strike for six.

14th Play: Cam throws left to the intended receiver. Pre-snap Cam knows where he wants to throw the football. Auburn receivers do a great job of getting open due to Mahlzan's system.

I'm sure the rest of the video is similar but I'm done with it. This is the Auburn system. This is how it works. If you look at Gus Mahlzan's career, he has been very very successful with his QB's and WR's. Cam doesn't have to make reads, doesn't have to adjust, rarely runs for his life in the pocket. These are things he will face in the NFL on every single play. Not all of these kids in college are five stars. The dudes in the NFL are the best of the best. Cam has to be capable of understanding complex NFL systems and read complex NFL defenses.

:lol: Wow...reading this version I thought Cam would have ended up 0-14 with 14 interceptions. I guess Georgia must have the worst defense in the country given how poorly Cam played.

How in the world did Cam end up going 12 for 15 for 148 yards 2 TD and 1 int (which LITERALLY went between the WRs arms)? Oh, and he also ran 30 times for 151 yards and 2 TD. Auburn put up 49 points.

I wish Miami had a QB as bad as Newton.

I've stayed away from all the Cam Newton discussions because I really am torn on what I think about him. It's like imagining you have a shot at the most beautiful woman in the world, only you can't shake the fact that she's a complete train wreck liable to ruin the next few years of your life. The problem with investing a first rounder is it's not having a weekend fling, it's having a baby. And not the sanitized, I-realize-I-actually-love-you-like-in-Knocked-Up kind of baby. More like I-have-to-kill-you-like-in-Match-Point-because-you're-pregnant kind of baby.
:lol:

This whole "Cam is going to have to learn complex NFL systems" is a bunch of crap. Dan Marino wasn't exactly Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein in college, and he didn't do great on the Wonderlic, but he could flat out play....there is a big difference between football smarts and college smarts.

Cam Newton is 6'6" and 250+ and very fast and tough to bring down. If he is there at #15, I would take him. I think we could end up drafting two QB's to back up Henne, or we draft one and bring in a vet. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Cam Newton with a lot of upside potential over stiffs like Locker and Mallet.

the camera shows him looking outside comes off of it and throws a catchable ball inside middle to #80 (not a check down option) and the ball should have been caught...how do you bang newton for that play??? he went from his initial read to his secondary and threw a good ball that the wr flipped up in the air...

Never said it was Newton's fault. And I don't think it was Newton's fault. The only thing I was pointing out was that Cam had to make an extra read. And he's not accustomed to that. That's all I was pointing out. That was a very catchable ball.

:lol: Wow...reading this version I thought Cam would have ended up 0-14 with 14 interceptions. I guess Georgia must have the worst defense in the country given how poorly Cam played.

How in the world did Cam end up going 12 for 15 for 148 yards 2 TD and 1 int (which LITERALLY went between the WRs arms)? Oh, and he also ran 30 times for 151 yards and 2 TD. Auburn put up 49 points.

I wish Miami had a QB as bad as Newton.

Dude...seriously?

Did you miss the entire point of my post? My post wasn't made to slam Newton's ability because he certainly has it. What I was pointing out is how Cam goes about getting done what he gets done. He knows the play call, knows where he wants to throw the football, ball is snapped, he immediately locks on to that receiver and throws the football. If that receiver isn't open he will generally tuck it and run. He's very good at this.

Different ball game in the NFL. Doesn't work that way with the big boys. So there's a lot that he's going to have to change, adjust and adapt to. And that goes back to the ability to learn at the next level.

This whole "Cam is going to have to learn complex NFL systems" is a bunch of crap. Dan Marino wasn't exactly Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein in college, and he didn't do great on the Wonderlic, but he could flat out play....there is a big difference between football smarts and college smarts.

Cam Newton is 6'6" and 250+ and very fast and tough to bring down. If he is there at #15, I would take him. I think we could end up drafting two QB's to back up Henne, or we draft one and bring in a vet. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Cam Newton with a lot of upside potential over stiffs like Locker and Mallet.

If we draft TWO QB's in this draft then this front office is completely retarded. We have to many holes on this team to be DRAFTING two QB's trying to hit on ONE. That's bad business practice.

Learning a complex NFL system is a bunch of crap? Are NFL offensive systems simple or complex? Dan Marino wasn't exactly Einstein, true. But again, let's not use the 1% rule to defend your love for Newton. There are plenty of guys who have scored poorly and flopped in the NFL.

What I say about Newton, how is that any different than what you say about those two "stiffs" in Locker and Mallett? Ryan Mallett "could flat out play" so what's wrong with him? Not saying I want Locker or Mallett because I don't. Personally, I wouldn't gamble on any of these QB's in this draft.

Back
Top Bottom