The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread

TuaClockSomewhere

Active Roster
Reaction score
Fire him! with the talent on this team we should be a top 10 team no doubt. the playcalling is absolutely terrible. the linebackers are playing 8 yards off the ball. the team is not physical what so ever. someone please fire this guy he has no clue what hes doing as a head coach.

i have been saying since the year started next coach will be wipple

Firing him would do nothing. Let him take his famed recruiting class until the seniors. If it doesn't produce a national title game appearance, then fire him. But firing him now would do more harm than good in my opinion.

Firing him would do nothing. Let him take his famed recruiting class until the seniors. If it doesn't produce a national title game appearance, then fire him. But firing him now would do more harm than good in my opinion.

agreed - plus his 2 co-ordinators call most the game anyways - as long as he can recruit, he can be our "figurehead" coach all he wants

Randy Shannon is clueless. But as I've said plenty of times, he
is one hell of a recruiter.

i have been saying since the year started next coach will be wipple

I am sick of Mark Whipple getting a pass. This loss is more on his shoulders than Shannon's I think...and you'll NEVER find me supporting garbage *** Randy Shannon. But Mark Whipple's offense has been so Goddamn predictable since about week 4. And for the last couple of weeks of the season, he's done nothing but attack downfield and go for the home run shots time after time after time. Short routes across the middle of the field with guys like Jimmy Graham are absent now.

One particular play that just set me off was the 3rd and 2 play when Harris went deep to I believe Javarris James and Harris overthrew him. It was a sure six if Harris doesn't overthrow his man. It's not the play call that I have a problem with, it's what happened afterwards. If it's 3rd and 2 then obviously you've decided at that point what you're going to do if you don't get it. Well, we didn't get it and we punt the football. If it's 3rd and 2 and you KNOW that if you don't get the first down that you're definitely going to punt, DO NOT throw the football deep. Pound the football with Damien Berry for two measley yards.

I spoke with Damien's uncle and aunt just before the game...I gotta tell you dudes...Damien and his family aren't happy with the lack of playing time he gets considering his production when he's in the game. It's not fair. Damien is a good kid. He's quiet. He's very humble. He's never in trouble. Doesn't hang with the wrong crowd. Doesn't break even the smallest of team rules. He's never late to practice. He does NOTHING but what is asked of him and he never complains. Teams around th country would LOVE to have a kid like this. And Shannon lets him sit on the bench in favor of Graig Cooper and Javarris James.

I am sick at what I saw last night in the Citrus Bowl. We let a slow *** Big 10 team with nothing but white boys from thousands of miles away come to the Motherland and walk our *****. This is the most unprepared I have seen this team all season. You get a month to work and this is what you put out there? Your offensive line fails on damn near every play to protect your QB who ran for his life all night play after play. I'm embarrassed.

Randy Shannon is clueless. But as I've said plenty of times, he
is one hell of a recruiter.

Is he really? Is he? Or was he at one time and we still like to believe that he is? He has done NOTHING to impress me lately. He has lost our top recruit, Louis Nix, to Notre Dame. His recruitment of Todd Chandler has become such a black eye that it's beginning to affect Miami's relationship with Miami Northwestern. Miami Northwestern has fed Miami for YEARS now. He still struggles to pull recruits from St. Thomas Aquinas in Lauderdale. He didn't even give Jahkari Gore an offer and LSU pounced on it. The "State of Miami" fence that Schnellenberger worked so hard to build is being chipped away piece by piece by the Florida Gators.

Shannon knows how to speak to inner city kids. He does. I give him that. He knows how to relate to kids. But at the end of the day, you can't say, "Below .500 ACC record. 21 - 17 overall. 0 - 2 in bowl games" any other way. Kids don't know a lot but kids aren't stupid either. Kids want to win. Kids want to play. And kids want to go to the League. Shannon isn't winning. Shannon isn't playing the kids who deserve it. And Shannon isn't sending kids to the League with major potential either.

It's time we ALL open our eyes and see that Randy Shannon is nothing but a nice guy who is reserved for the most part, did a great job HIMSELF of getting himself to where he is in life but is not a leader of men.

Shannon's ability to recruit, as JCane has stated, is quite a bit overrated. On top of things, Miami isn't exactly a hard sell.. It shouldn't be either. As for his coaching, the numbers speak for themselves.

Take a look at Ron Zook. He could recruit for days too, but his xs and os just weren't satisfactory for Florida standards. Put a coach in there, and they became a National Title team. I don't think the U is that far away, I think if you bring in a coach who knows the xs and os and the Canes are back in the Dance again real soon.

I don't mind losing. I really don't. What bothers me is the fact that we lose because we're pissing our talent away. Shoker can't coach for ****. And if he loves this University and the football program the way I do and the way he claim to, he'll step down. He's in way over his head right now.

JCane, who would you like to see the Canes go after as a possible replacement? In your ideal world, if you were running the ship, who would you take a run at?

I got a few names I think would return the U to prominence.

By the way, you guys want to talk about recruiting, look no further than how empty desks up in Tallahassee are running circles around the Hurricanes right now in the recruiting game. Florida State got a TON of STUD recruits when Mickey Andrews and Bobby Bowden stepped aside. Damn kids didn't even know who their defensive coordinator was going to be and stud linebacker Jeff Luc goes all in with the Seminoles.

Meanwhile, in Coral Gables, Rondo Shoker sits quietly in his office with his arms folded and no plan of action.

I'm sick of thse Shannonigans.

As of right now today I would make a run at Kevin Sumlin or John Harbaugh. Maybe Gary Patterson of TCU. Patterson could possibly bring Dick Bumpas with him. Dick Bumpas wa a guy who was thrown around the Athletic Department last season as Bill Young's replacement. I think #1 most attainable and best option out there for the money is Kevin Sumlin of Houston, though. Sumlin is a great coach. He's defensive minded. Going from Houston to Miami would be an upgrade. He'd make more money as well.

By the way, you guys want to talk about recruiting, look no further than how empty desks up in Tallahassee are running circles around the Hurricanes right now in the recruiting game. Florida State got a TON of STUD recruits when Mickey Andrews and Bobby Bowden stepped aside. Damn kids didn't even know who their defensive coordinator was going to be and stud linebacker Jeff Luc goes all in with the Seminoles.

Meanwhile, in Coral Gables, Rondo Shoker sits quietly in his office with his arms folded and no plan of action.

I'm sick of thse Shannonigans.

Exactly.

Miami SHOULD be on par with Florida and Florida State in terms of recruiting and standings. At this stage, if you look at the last five years, they've won roughly the same amount of games that South Florida has.

Things need to improve in Miami, and in a hurry. This is a BCS program, who has slipped.

As of right now today I would make a run at Kevin Sumlin or John Harbaugh. Maybe Gary Patterson of TCU. Patterson could possibly bring Dick Bumpas with him. Dick Bumpas wa a guy who was thrown around the Athletic Department last season as Bill Young's replacement. I think #1 most attainable and best option out there for the money is Kevin Sumlin of Houston, though. Sumlin is a great coach. He's defensive minded. Going from Houston to Miami would be an upgrade. He'd make more money as well.

Good names, although I'm not sure Harbaugh would leave Stanford for Miami. I could be wrong.

I like Sumlin. He's done some good things in a short period of time at Houston.

Few names I'd like to see as coach of Miami:

Skip Holtz -- As much as I couldn't stand Lou when he was at Notre Dame, and it'd be awkward seeing his son coaching the U, I am unbiased when it comes to good coaches. Skip is a star on the rise in the coaching ranks, coaching UConn to a good record in Division IAA, then restoring East Carolina's program.

Mike Riley-- He's done a very nice job making Oregon State a perennial bowl team and they've remained competitive in the Pac 10.

Kyle Whittingham -- Has maintained the success started by Urban Meyer, and built his own legacy at Utah.

Jon Gruden -- His name was linked to the Notre Dame job, and briefly the Florida job before Urban Meyer decided he was taking a "leave of absence". I think Chucky would flourish in the college ranks and his familiarity with Florida, NFL success and Super Bowl rings would help in his recruiting efforts.

Is he really? Is he? Or was he at one time and we still like to believe that he is? He has done NOTHING to impress me lately. He has lost our top recruit, Louis Nix, to Notre Dame. His recruitment of Todd Chandler has become such a black eye that it's beginning to affect Miami's relationship with Miami Northwestern. Miami Northwestern has fed Miami for YEARS now. He still struggles to pull recruits from St. Thomas Aquinas in Lauderdale. He didn't even give Jahkari Gore an offer and LSU pounced on it. The "State of Miami" fence that Schnellenberger worked so hard to build is being chipped away piece by piece by the Florida Gators.

Shannon knows how to speak to inner city kids. He does. I give him that. He knows how to relate to kids. But at the end of the day, you can't say, "Below .500 ACC record. 21 - 17 overall. 0 - 2 in bowl games" any other way. Kids don't know a lot but kids aren't stupid either. Kids want to win. Kids want to play. And kids want to go to the League. Shannon isn't winning. Shannon isn't playing the kids who deserve it. And Shannon isn't sending kids to the League with major potential either.

It's time we ALL open our eyes and see that Randy Shannon is nothing but a nice guy who is reserved for the most part, did a great job HIMSELF of getting himself to where he is in life but is not a leader of men.

Let's put some things into perspective for a minute. Who were our worst players this year? I'd say Pipho, Sharpton (except the past 2-3 games), and Randy Phillips. Jacory showed some improvement over last year, Hankerson and Harris showed major improvement, and Sean Spence probably regressed. And the team won two more games.
It's not what we're used to, that's for sure. We're still losing to teams we shouldn't be, teams that we overmatch, as far as talent goes. But come on, this is a work in progress, and as cliche as it is, you ARE only as strong as your weakest link. And we have several of them.
I'm not giving Randy a free pass by any means, but as I said before, Randy's won at every level - as a player, as an assistant. I think it's fair to give him the chance to succeed as a head coach. I can see why everyone's getting antsy, and I'm not saying a national championship is in the near future, but I think Randy at least deserves a shot. For a guy who means so much to the U, I don't think it's too much to ask.

Back
Top Bottom