The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread

From the Herald (12/30) -

"• Look for Randy Shannon's new contract to be finalized shortly. He will get a four- or five-year deal with a raise from his reported $1 million annual salary."

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/1402374-p2.html

Hey KP..
How much leash does Randy have?
Or is 9 win seasons going to be the new mark of excellence at
Miami?
What are Randy's goals going to have to be in the next 2 years?
This isn't a swipe,I just feel Shannon reminds me SO MUCH of
Shula when he was at Bama.

If they don't want to fire him yet and want to see his first recruiting class graduate...that's one thing...

However, this amounts to rewarding him for doing next to nothing....

I want everyone to turn their attention to Ted and Namor's replies in this thread. It's funny how when you aren't emotionally attached to the team how much perspective you have and how you can see something for what it truly is. Shannon is the same damn coach as Shula. 9 wins is the mark of excellence at Miami now. Randy Shannon is being rewarded for accomplishing nothing.

You want perspective? What is it about a .500 ACC record, 21 - 17 overall, and 0 - 2 in meaningless bowl games do you people not understand? Miami fans are delusional. I've seen more rational thought from baboons. It's not hard to see that Shoker isn't the guy.

But as long as the program is keeping its nose clean, Shannon gets the praise and should. The program is making positive headlines on the field and in the classroom. Shannon gets the praise and should. Players are graduating in record fashion. Shannon gets the praise and should. This is GOLD for Presidet Shalala. She is ESTACTIC with the results of the football program. She wants Randy here forever because it's reflecting well on the University in general and it's burying the 1980's. Miami is a prestigious private school with high academic standards. "The Harvard of the South." Academics will always trump athletics at Miami.

And in case you haven't heard, the Florida State Seminoles have cherry picked Matt Elam, a five-star Gator commit, from the Gators this morning. Matt Elam is a STUB DB from West Palm Beach. With Urban Meyer's future in confusing limbo right now, the Seminoles came hard after that kid. So you're looking at a secondary with Greg Reid and Matt Elam over the next three years in Tallahassee. And they're licking their chops watching film on Jacory Harris. In the meantime, this is what's going on in Coral Gables...

"Things just didn't happen our way," Shannon said. "I can't explain why."

That's your coach. This is who is leading your program back to the "promise land." A guy with now fuggin' clue.

I want everyone to turn their attention to Ted and Namor's replies in this thread. It's funny how when you aren't emotionally attached to the team how much perspective you have and how you can see something for what it truly is. Shannon is the same damn coach as Shula. 9 wins is the mark of excellence at Miami now. Randy Shannon is being rewarded for accomplishing nothing.

You want perspective? What is it about a .500 ACC record, 21 - 17 overall, and 0 - 2 in meaningless bowl games do you people not understand? Miami fans are delusional. I've seen more rational thought from baboons. It's not hard to see that Shoker isn't the guy.

But as long as the program is keeping its nose clean, Shannon gets the praise and should. The program is making positive headlines on the field and in the classroom. Shannon gets the praise and should. Players are graduating in record fashion. Shannon gets the praise and should. This is GOLD for Presidet Shalala. She is ESTACTIC with the results of the football program. She wants Randy here forever because it's reflecting well on the University in general and it's burying the 1980's. Miami is a prestigious private school with high academic standards. "The Harvard of the South." Academics will always trump athletics at Miami.

JC..like I've many times the canes are my second favorite team so there is
a little emotion involved for me.
But the other night playing against Wisc...I was in shock..
This canes team is full of great athletes but it seems if they don't like
to get physical...and that comes from coaching.
A team is supposed to take on the coaches demeanor.
At Bama we all wanted Mike Shula to do well..he was one of our
own..just keep us out of trouble and bring us back to respectability,
which he did...but after 5 years he was doing the same stupid things over and over..He just could not make that next step.
And we gave him a silly raise and extension,just to have to fire him the next year.
I'd hate for Miami to go through the same thing and it looks just like it.
Shannon is the same as Shula....one of your own,good recruiter,good
coordinator,will keep the program respectable but just not head coaching
material at a big time program.
Don't let loyalty blind you...pull the band-aid off quick and the healing
will start quicker.

I say give one more year and if they aren't in a BCS game next year he's gone.

well I think Randy Shannon was part of the reason the dolphins had a good defense Shannon needs to be coordinator perferably as a defensive coordinator with the fins.
I will tell you who you should go after and that is Bob Stoops or Les Miles. ok maybe not Les Miles but RC Slocum would be a great get for you.

or maybe you can have Sparano as a fin fan I wont object .

well I think Randy Shannon was part of the reason the dolphins had a good defense Shannon needs to be coordinator perferably as a defensive coordinator with the fins.
I will tell you who you should go after and that is Bob Stoops or Les Miles. ok maybe not Les Miles but RC Slocum would be a great get for you.

or maybe you can have Sparano as a fin fan I wont object .

Why the hell would Bob Stoops leave Oklahoma for a program with high academic standards and less money? Oklahoma is a premier job. Miami is not. Miami has ALWAYS been a springboard job.

Randy Shannon as defensive coordinator for the Dolphins. What? Have you seen Shannon's prehistoric "bend don't break" Cover 2 defense that is currently FAILING him? Let me give you an idea of what it looks like these days...

bloglandfillnew-1.jpg

* I think Shannon is here for a long time, for the reasons detailed earlier in this thread. He'll graduate players, win 7-9 games and generally keep the team out of bad headlines. For Shalala, that's plenty. Anyone who makes apparently safe but truly masochistic choices like joining the ACC and abandoning the Orange Bowl isn't the caliber to oust a football coach and actually replace him with someone better.

* The Champs Bowl outcome was hardly a surprise. I default to everything I posted about the Virginia Tech game in the Canes season long thread. Miami simply can't cope with downhill blue collar teams. We come prepared to win easily, fast athletes in an open field. That opening kickoff was right up our alley. Once the game evolves into something else, actual trenches dispute, it's almost unfair. We prefer hand warmers. Please, Wisconsin, run sideways.

* Our recruiting is not going to match expectation when we're playing in the current dump at the edge of the Calder barns. You can forget that for as long as we're tenant. I don't care what the recruits claim, the ones who supposedly love the place and its NFL ties. It's the easiest handicap of all time, other than Mike Leach with fewer than 30 rushes. There's no way a kid is going to sample on campus stadiums with amazing atmosphere and find them lacking compared to a rented and empty glorified warehouse in the middle of nowhere. For most players it will be a minor issue or non issue. But in such a competitive environment you can't afford to forfeit a few percent here and a few percent there. That's what we manage with a coach like Shannon and a home venue like (fill in current name).

Hey KP..
How much leash does Randy have?
Or is 9 win seasons going to be the new mark of excellence at
Miami?
What are Randy's goals going to have to be in the next 2 years?
This isn't a swipe,I just feel Shannon reminds me SO MUCH of
Shula when he was at Bama.

Well, let me ask you something. How many national championships did Shula win as a player? How many did he win as a defensive coordinator? How many defenses did he coach that are considered amongst the best to have EVER played? That's not a swipe at Shula, it's just to say that Shannon is a proven winner. 9 wins isn't the mark of excellence. You guys were saying the same thing last year about 7 wins being the mark of excellence. Again, this guy's best players would be redshirt freshmen at most other schools. You simply cannot expect a guy to produce a BCS caliber squad with that. Remember when everyone thought we'd be 0-4 to start the season? Yeah, how'd that work out? Seems we all have short memories.
I don't think Randy deserves that long of an extension, and he should be on a short leash through the next two years, but I think it's downright absurd that people are expecting him to have a national championship caliber team when your seniors are sharpton, pipho, and phillips. Give me an f'in break.
This offseason is huge. Jacory needs to develop into a top tier QB, the o-line has to be extremely better, and sean spence needs to become the leader of the D again. I'm going to wait and see for one more year.

Mike Dubose won Nat'l championships as a player and as a coordinator at Alabama
before becoming head coach...
He was the WORST coach in Bama history.
He was the coach that almost got Bama the death penalty.
I pray to God that isn't the type of comparison the Shannon follows.
No one is saying its a chamionship or bust...just don't go extending him just yet.
I would just like to see Miami get a little more physical with teams.
The old days, someone ,a Ray Lewis,maybe would have took it upon himself
to clobber a tight end just for the hell of it,to slow down the free reign the tight ends
were having the other night.
I just don't see many adjustments being made.
I hope it works out..good guys should win...it just doesn't always happen like that.

Mike Dubose won Nat'l championships as a player and as a coordinator at Alabama
before becoming head coach...
He was the WORST coach in Bama history.
He was the coach that almost got Bama the death penalty.
I pray to God that isn't the type of comparison the Shannon follows.
No one is saying its a chamionship or bust...just don't go extending him just yet.
I would just like to see Miami get a little more physical with teams.
The old days, someone ,a Ray Lewis,maybe would have took it upon himself
to clobber a tight end just for the hell of it,to slow down the free reign the tight ends
were having the other night.
I just don't see many adjustments being made.
I hope it works out..good guys should win...it just doesn't always happen like that.

Ok. I'm sure there are a ton of examples of guys that have won as players and assistants and didn't pan out. But Mike Shula, the guy you said he reminded you of, isn't one of them. Shula wasn't a proven winner. Shannon is. So when Sharpton is playing instead of Brown, well maybe Shannon knows a little more than I do. And when Matt Pipho is playing RT instead of the water boy, well maybe Shannon knows a little more than I do. And when Javarris James is starting at tailback instead of Damien Berry, well maybe Shannon knows a little more than I do. I've won 0 national championships, Shannon's been a part of 3. Will Shannon build us back into a national championship team? Maybe. Maybe not. But he has more of a track record than 95% of the 'available' coaches. Don't get me wrong, I think Shannon should be held accountable, but I'm also not going to be all over him when he's been recruiting *ok* and he still has no leadership with the seniors. The only good senior this year was Jason Fox. We need about 7-8 NFL-ready juniors/seniors like Jason Fox before we're going to be competing for national titles again.

Fire Randy? He has made 2 game improvements every year . . . and now he famed recruiting class goes into its third season. Give it time . . . we are so impatient sometimes.

He will not get fired unless the program takes a big step backwards. I mean if we come out next year and don't make a bowl game, then u look at replacing him. U can't replace him now, that is crazy. Plus UM loves him for the things he does off the field and the success he is having graduating kids. Randy is going nowhere anytime soon, but like everybody else, I do want to start competing for national championships sooner than later.

It's nice that he can recruit and all, but if you can't develop that talent, then there's not a whole hell of a lot else you can do about it.

It's like me. I'm a mining prospector on the side. If I find a gold mine, full of gold ore, and do nothing to develop it to make it valuable, then what good is it?

Get Shannon on the next bus out of Miami.

Back
Top Bottom