The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Fire Randy Shannon Thread

It's nice that he can recruit and all, but if you can't develop that talent, then there's not a whole hell of a lot else you can do about it.

It's like me. I'm a mining prospector on the side. If I find a gold mine, full of gold ore, and do nothing to develop it to make it valuable, then what good is it?

Get Shannon on the next bus out of Miami.

Yeah I know what you mean. Leonard Hankerson, Allen Bailey, Graig Cooper, Demarcus VanDyke, and Damien Berry from his first class. All scrubs.

3 star Jacory Harris getting Heisman talk as a true sophomore. Travis Benjamin, Laron Byrd, Thearon Collier, all 3 star WR's making no contributions in the passing game. Vaughn Telemaque, Sean Spence, All-American Brandon Harris, and Marcus Robinson? Ugh...I'd rather have FSU's defense.

True freshmen Olivier Vernon, Mike James, and Ray Ray Armstrong? Man, I can really see your point. Shannon needs to go. He's messed up all of the great players Larry Coker left this squad like Randy Phillips, Matt Pipho, Darryl Sharpton, AJ Trump, Sam Shields, you know - true leaders that really made a difference and would have put this team over the top with a better supporting cast.

:rolleyes2:

Listen, if you guys can't see that we have some serious problems starting at the top, then I'm sorry. I don't know what else you guys need to see to get it but I've seen enough on the field this season. These players don't care. That's a coaching problem.

We let an average Clemson team with inferior talent beat us at home.

We let a garbage North Carolina team beat while Butch Davis once again ran circles around Randy Shannon.

We showed up in Orlando more unprepared than any Hurricane team I've ever seen. We were in the state of Florida. Basically a home game for us. And we let a slow *** Big 10 team beat us down. Maybe I am impatient. But with the money I take out of my pocket each year and hand to the school and that's the product I get...understand why I'm a bit impatient.

Rarry Shoker needs to go. This boat in my sig will sink very soon.

Yeah I know what you mean. Leonard Hankerson, Allen Bailey, Graig Cooper, Demarcus VanDyke, and Damien Berry from his first class. All scrubs.

3 star Jacory Harris getting Heisman talk as a true sophomore. Travis Benjamin, Laron Byrd, Thearon Collier, all 3 star WR's making no contributions in the passing game. Vaughn Telemaque, Sean Spence, All-American Brandon Harris, and Marcus Robinson? Ugh...I'd rather have FSU's defense.

True freshmen Olivier Vernon, Mike James, and Ray Ray Armstrong? Man, I can really see your point. Shannon needs to go. He's messed up all of the great players Larry Coker left this squad like Randy Phillips, Matt Pipho, Darryl Sharpton, AJ Trump, Sam Shields, you know - true leaders that really made a difference and would have put this team over the top with a better supporting cast.

:rolleyes2:

Cute that some still beat the "it's Coker's fault!!" drum after 3 years.

Harris actually regressed as the season went on. Cooper's decent, but not a top flight back.

Javarris James, McCarthy, etc., they all had great freshman debuts, but never really did anything. Oh I'm sure that it's because they were around Coker too. You do realize that Shannon was on Coker's failed staff for all of those years too right?

Give me a break. Take off the Orange and Green glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen, if you guys can't see that we have some serious problems starting at the top, then I'm sorry. I don't know what else you guys need to see to get it but I've seen enough on the field this season. These players don't care. That's a coaching problem.

We let a garbage North Carolina team beat while Butch Davis once again ran circles around Randy Shannon.

We showed up in Orlando more unprepared than any Hurricane team I've ever seen. We were in the state of Florida. Basically a home game for us. And we let a slow *** Big 10 team beat us down. Maybe I am impatient. But with the money I take out of my pocket each year and hand to the school and that's the product I get...understand why I'm a bit impatient.

Buuuuuuuuuuut JCane, how dare you criticize Shannon! It's all Coker's fault!

As usual, spot on analysis from JCane. Nice job buddy.

Damien Berry might as well be a scrub if Shannon isn't going to play him. It's not hard to look out on the field and see that Damien Berry moves the football and Graig Cooper does not. Cooper does to an extent but we're all very familiar with the Graig Cooper School of Dance.

Coaching is all about decision making. There has been a decision made to play Cooper and play Javarris over the more physical, more productive Damien Berry? Why is that? I've made some very personal **** known here about Damien Berry and if it's true, it's ****ed up on Shannon's part. I don't know if it's 100% true but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if it was.

All of that Jacory for Heisman talk was uncalled for. It was premature. We all became a Prisoner of the Moment. He was great early and faded late. That's the mental makeup of a very young QB still learning the ropes. Jacory isn't exactly the biggest, most physical QB like Tebow and Ponder either.

There's problems all over this team. We tackle poorly. We cover poorly. We take bad angles. Kids are out of position. We call timeouts because we have the wrong personnel on the field or because we have 10 men on the field. That's all coaching. Remember last season against Florida State when Christian Ponder bulldozed our linebackers while blistering us for 150+ yards? That's ridiculous. That's player development. It all starts at the top guys. It begins and ends with Randy Shannon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, you can bring in all the great talent you want, the WRs, RBs, etc., but if you can't develop them, then there's not a hell of a lot you can do.

They all have potential, but if you don't utilize that potential, then you'll just be stuck spinning your tires in the mud.

Just like my gold mine analogy. You can have a ton of gold ore, but if you don't refine it, it's just a bunch of rocks.

Who do you think our worst players are?

Cute that some still beat the "it's Coker's fault!!" drum after 3 years.

Harris actually regressed as the season went on. Cooper's decent, but not a top flight back.

Javarris James, McCarthy, etc., they all had great freshman debuts, but never really did anything. Oh I'm sure that it's because they were around Coker too. You do realize that Shannon was on Coker's failed staff for all of those years too right?

Give me a break. Take off the Orange and Green glasses.

You're the one who said Randy's not developing talent. It's obnoxiously clear that he is.

I think that Whipple regressed as the season went on. He had a good, clear gameplan early in the year. Quick plays, quick passes. Then, he decided to let Jacory sit in the pocket for more than 3 seconds, and that didn't work out too well.

And I wouldn't say that McCarthy isn't 'doing anything'. I think he's a pretty decent linebacker.

And it seems like you need a history lesson on Shannon's defenses. 5 out of 6 seasons his defenses were in the top 7 in the country. You truly think that was a problem???

Who do you think our worst players are?

Graig Cooper
Javarris James
Sam Shields
Chavez Grant
Matt Pipho

I kinda want to lump Randy Phillips in with this group as well. But these are our primary issues. Cooper could do well if he wouldn't dance around so much but that has always been his problem.

Damien Berry might as well be a scrub if Shannon isn't going to play him. It's not hard to look out on the field and see that Damien Berry moves the football and Graig Cooper does not. Cooper does to an extent but we're all very familiar with the Graig Cooper School of Dance.

Coaching is all about decision making. There has been a decision made to play Cooper and play Javarris over the more physical, more productive Damien Berry? Why is that? I've made some very personal **** known here about Damien Berry and if it's true, it's ****ed up on Shannon's part. I don't know if it's 100% true but it wouldn't suprise me one bit if it was.

All of that Jacory for Heisman talk was uncalled for. It was premature. We all became a Prisoner of the Moment. He was great early and faded late. That's the mental makeup of a very young QB still learning the ropes. Jacory isn't exactly the biggest, most physical QB like Tebow and Ponder either.

There's problems all over this team. We tackle poorly. We cover poorly. We take bad angles. Kids are out of position. We call timeouts because we have the wrong personnel on the field or because we have 10 men on the field. That's all coaching. Remember last season against Florida State when Christian Ponder bulldozed our linebackers while blistering us for 150+ yards? That's ridiculous. That's player development. It all starts at the top guys. It begins and ends with Randy Shannon.

Look man, I agree with you that Randy Shannon is doing a poor job right now. But to me, it's not worth firing him over.

Great example with the FSU game in '08. Did it happen again in '09? Yes, Ponder passed all over us, but he didn't run all over us like he did in '08.

What about with Ga Tech? Major improvements in '09, right?

I know what we all expect out of the U. We expect national championships, we expect to win every game. And maybe Randy Shannon isn't the right guy for the job, but I think he deserves a real fair shot. And that means more than 3 years, and 2 full recruiting seasons.

Graig Cooper
Javarris James
Sam Shields
Chavez Grant
Matt Pipho

I kinda want to lump Randy Phillips in with this group as well. But these are our primary issues. Cooper could do well if he wouldn't dance around so much but that has always been his problem.

So, none of those players are going to be here next year. Why would you think this team would get worse?

You're the one who said Randy's not developing talent. It's obnoxiously clear that he is.

I think that Whipple regressed as the season went on. He had a good, clear gameplan early in the year. Quick plays, quick passes. Then, he decided to let Jacory sit in the pocket for more than 3 seconds, and that didn't work out too well.

And I wouldn't say that McCarthy isn't 'doing anything'. I think he's a pretty decent linebacker.

And it seems like you need a history lesson on Shannon's defenses. 5 out of 6 seasons his defenses were in the top 7 in the country. You truly think that was a problem???

Defense was a problem to an extent. Whipple certainly regressed as the season went on. He gets a C+ from me. Why we went away from short passes over the middle of the field is beyond me. Seems like we were always looking to hit the big home run ball later in the season. Jacory had a torn ligament in his finger during the bowl game as well and we're trying to hit home runs down the sideline on 3rd and 2 to Javarris and then PUNT on 4th down.

Why?

Defense was a problem to an extent. Whipple certainly regressed as the season went on. He gets a C+ from me. Why we went away from short passes over the middle of the field is beyond me. Seems like we were always looking to hit the big home run ball later in the season. Jacory had a torn ligament in his finger during the bowl game as well and we're trying to hit home runs down the sideline on 3rd and 2 to Javarris and then PUNT on 4th down.

Why?

Well yeah, I think Randy needs to take much more control over the defense. The defenses he's had as a head coach haven't been half as good as when he was the DC.

And yeah, Whipple's play calling had been very questionable late in the year. That's why I'm not too worried about this team. I think (maybe more like hope) that the coaches are going to correct their mistakes, and the o-line will get some fresh blood, and the offensive playmakers are going to get even better. I really think we're at least 2 years away from calling for Randy's head. He isn't regressing like Coker was. He's actually improving. I know we want more improvement, but we also have to understand the lack of senior leadership this team had.

So, none of those players are going to be here next year. Why would you think this team would get worse?

I've seen nothing that makes me believe that Shannon can win more than 9 games next season. I get what you're saying but it's not enough. The schedule next season is tougher than this season. We got lucky to play a skeleton Oklahoma team. We could have easily lost to Wake Forest. We could have easily lost to Florida State as well. These were very close games. Wake Forest should have been a blowout. Even Coker blew the doors off of Wake Forest...with Kyle Wright.

Shannon's biggest problem is motivation. He's not a great motivator. He doesn't get excited. Doesn't matter if he's on the field or in the cafeteria. I've spoken to the guy. He's very quiet, very calm, very stoic. He's just not a guy who excites kids. Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, those were Miami icons. Those were appealing guys who could get a kid to believe that in his vision. Shannon isn't selling his vision anymore.

But hey, he needs time to develop these kids right? Nick Saban needed a whole two years. Dabo Swinney took garbage *** Clemson to the ACC title game in his first full season as head coach. Shannon has been here three years and we've done nothing.

Shannon hasn't even won a meaningless game...how is he going to win a meaningful game?

Well yeah, I think Randy needs to take much more control over the defense. The defenses he's had as a head coach haven't been half as good as when he was the DC.

And yeah, Whipple's play calling had been very questionable late in the year. That's why I'm not too worried about this team. I think (maybe more like hope) that the coaches are going to correct their mistakes, and the o-line will get some fresh blood, and the offensive playmakers are going to get even better. I really think we're at least 2 years away from calling for Randy's head. He isn't regressing like Coker was. He's actually improving. I know we want more improvement, but we also have to understand the lack of senior leadership this team had.

Remember when I said Jon Lovett would be the new DC and that essentially it was a puppet hire? Lovett's specialty is defensive backs. Who was the most improved player this season? Brandon Harris. But the defense is still Shannon's Cover 2 garbage. Bend don't break. It's a react defense. The defense reacts to what the offense does. Instead of preventing plays from developing, plays develop and we just hope we can prevent the offense from getting a first down in three tries. Bend don't break. Shannon has his hands all in that defense. Moreso that you guys think. Just because Lovett is here doesn't mean he's the primary shot caller. Lovett's job was to improve the secondary and stop Georgia Tech's Option offense. He did that.

Back
Top Bottom