***The Official NHL Offseason Thread*** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official NHL Offseason Thread***

unifiedtheory

Thank you #54...
Reaction score
Since the offseason is upon us I thought I'd start the "offseason" thread. I was waiting for someone else to do it but could wait no longer.

I guess I'll kick it off with an article I caught today by one of my favorite hockey writers.

LINKY.

Personal note: Damn I hope the Bruins fire Dave Lewis soon...LOL!

According to TSN, Sundin wants a 1-year pact to ensure he controls when the time is right to call it quits; when in his mind, his game has slipped below the level he's accustomed to playing.

Thing is, according to that same report, the Leafs would have happily signed Sundin to a 2-year extension and very likely could have been persuaded to go to three years. :sidelol:

I've always loved Mats and it shows how much class this future HOF'er has but how worrisome is this for the rest of the off-season ?

I mean at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see JFJ try to coax Dave Lewis out of the Boston job, convince Maggie the Monkey she can be that valuable 7th defenseman for us and bring Dave Keon out of retirement because he'd supposedly add some sandpaper and depth to our line-up.

According to TSN, Sundin wants a 1-year pact to ensure he controls when the time is right to call it quits; when in his mind, his game has slipped below the level he's accustomed to playing.

Thing is, according to that same report, the Leafs would have happily signed Sundin to a 2-year extension and very likely could have been persuaded to go to three years. :sidelol:

I've always loved Mats and it shows how much class this future HOF'er has but how worrisome is this for the rest of the off-season ?

I mean at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see JFJ try to coax Dave Lewis out of the Boston job, convince Maggie the Monkey she can be that valuable 7th defenseman for us and bring Dave Keon out of retirement because he'd supposedly add some sandpaper and depth to our line-up.

Sheesh, I'd break my leg from doing multiple cartwheels.:lol:

ALLLL I know Is that The FLYERSHHHHHHHHH WILL WIN THE CUPSHHHHHH!!!

We have Money to sign QUALITY!!! Gomez or Briere will be a Flyer along with KIMMO On D!!! We should be dangerous and young!!! Go FLyers gooo

Lindy Ruff agreed to terms on a new contract.

Details should be out within a few days.

Heard it on local sports radio.

We have Money to sign QUALITY!!! Gomez or Briere will be a Flyer along with KIMMO On D!!! We should be dangerous and young!!! Go FLyers gooo

not likely...Gomez wants to play out west i believe and who wants to sign with a non cup contender?

More Leafs news...

Mats makes it official. Sundin signs one-year contract. The US$5.5 million, one-year contract he signed with the NHL club Tuesday gives both sides the kind of leverage they need going forward.

"I think it's a good fit for everybody, just where I am at my age at this stage of my career," Sundin said Tuesday.

The 36-year-old captain threw a wrinkle into contract talks between his agent J.P. Barry and Leafs GM John Ferguson when he decided the two-year pact they were nearing agreement on should instead be a one-year deal.

"I just think I'm at the stage of my career where it feels good (to sign for one year)," Sundin told reporters on a conference call from Stockholm. "It gives me more pressure to perform, too. . . .

"I just like the frame of mind that I play one year and then I evaluate myself."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2006/09/15/1844602-cp.html

Also, The Maple Leafs gave oft-injured winger Nik Antropov a two-year, $4.1-million US contract, and signed both Russian forward Nikolai Kulemin, their second-round pick in the 2006 draft, and Swedish defenceman Anton Stralman, to three-year, entry-level contracts with Toronto.

Kulemin, 20, finished third in the Russian Super League with 27 goals in 39 games for league champions Metallurg Magnitogorsk and Stralman was named one of the top three players on Team Sweden by his coaches during the recently completed world hockey championship in Moscow.

And finally, The Toronto Maple Leafs rewarded Alexei Ponikarovsky for a career season, signing the forward to a $6.315 million, three-year contract extension.

You can tell it's the offseason when 'Izzo is talking Cup for the Flyers. :lol:

Sundin is washed up. Toronto always over pays for players

Overpaid? They got him for one year at 5.5 million.

Last year Sundin led the team in goals, assists, points, powerplay points, and shots on goal to go with being the captain. He also led them in ice time for forwards and had 20 multi point games.

27 goals and 49 assists for 76 points in 75 games are pretty good numbers. He wants to stay in Toronto and took a cut in pay to do so. I think it is a good deal for both the team and the player.

Lets go Isles! 25million plus to play ball with. Lets go Gm Garth, heres my wish list:

Smyth (5yr/31m) for our new captain!
Drury or Gomez 5-6m per...if its Briere 4.7-5.5m. Drury is clearly my first choice.
Resign Poti 2-3m per, anything more just pass
Sign Zubrus and Avery...theyre a fit with Nolan's up tempo, in your face style
Find a top tier D in a trade. We have good depth on the blueline now just upgrade the quality.

Overpaid? They got him for one year at 5.5 million.

Last year Sundin led the team in goals, assists, points, powerplay points, and shots on goal to go with being the captain. He also led them in ice time for forwards and had 20 multi point games.

27 goals and 49 assists for 76 points in 75 games are pretty good numbers. He wants to stay in Toronto and took a cut in pay to do so. I think it is a good deal for both the team and the player.

100% right on. The guys that are overpaid are Kubina at 5M and Gill at 2.5M, not future HOF'er, team captain and top 30 all-time point getter Sundin at 5.5M.

Shoalts had an interesting view in today's Globe, writing that Sundin wants to stay another year, but not two, so that he can pull a Selanne and go to a contender if things don't work out after next year.

This move leaves the Leafs with 8.5M in cap space (once again thanks JFJ), 1.5M to resign Colaicovo, sign a back-up netminder (Backstrom or Cujo) and throw the bank (6M left) at Ryan Smyth or two decent forwards.

Lets go Isles! 25million plus to play ball with. Lets go Gm Garth, heres my wish list:

Smyth (5yr/31m) for our new captain!
Drury or Gomez 5-6m per...if its Briere 4.7-5.5m. Drury is clearly my first choice.
Resign Poti 2-3m per, anything more just pass
Sign Zubrus and Avery...theyre a fit with Nolan's up tempo, in your face style
Find a top tier D in a trade. We have good depth on the blueline now just upgrade the quality.

If the Sabres could sign Drury right now for 6/36 mil they would. I think Briere will be offered more than 5.5. Though I think Briere wants to be in Buffalo and Drury wants to be in Cali. With Ruff re-signed and Darcy expected to get a new deal soon; one of the guys will be signed before free agency, IMO. My feeling is they'll tell Drury they'll match any deal if he'll stay in Buffalo rather than go home to Cali. If he declines on that Briere will be back.

The thing about Briere who has been on the record to say he doesn't have to max out to stay in Buffalo is that he owes the NHLPA to max out. I don't think Drury will have a better offensive season than he had this past year. Though I think he ends up with the Kings/Sharks and the Sabres sign Briere.

Back
Top Bottom