***The Official NHL Offseason Thread*** | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official NHL Offseason Thread***

Its Not the Point!!!! Getzlaf Perry and Penner are young bright stars for Anaheim!!! Penner is a great PF!!! He will be great!!!..... I guess In Edmonton

Ducks will match and it will put them over the cap limit. They'll have until December to shed their excess payroll. Burke will make a trade to clear cap room, there is no way he lets Penner go.

Ducks will match and it will put them over the cap limit. They'll have until December to shed their excess payroll. Burke will make a trade to clear cap room, there is no way he lets Penner go.

I really think Burke will let Penner walk!!! And he will accumulate draft picks Uni!!!! Burke is one smart GM!!! And I say He lets Penner go

I really think Burke will let Penner walk!!! And he will accumulate draft picks Uni!!!! Burke is one smart GM!!! And I say He lets Penner go
I agree, I think he's in tight because of the Neidermier scenario that's playing out.

I dunno how smart he is to be honest.

In Vancouver he drafted HORRIBLY. When he arrived in Vancouver the team was in shambles and he helped turn it around with his skills as a salesman. He got the corperate community back on board and put butts in the seats. That said, the team was a goaltender away from truly making a run for the Cup for a three year period and he never pulled the trigger.

The moves he made to "build the team" are a slight mirage. He had talent when he arrived here and pieces to move. Pavel Bure wanted out so he was forced to make the deal but it was not the RIGHT deal. Mike Keenan had a trade in place to send Bure to the Rangers but Burke torpedoed it and waited, taking a lesser deal from the Panthers.

Burke is a good trader when he actually makes the deal but he is too conservative and a lot of the "core" of that team was already in Vancouver (Bertuzzi, Nazzy, Ohlund).

The Ducks team is the same. All he did was sign Neids as a free agent (Neids wanted to play with his brother anyway) and trade for Pronger (Prongers supposed list of team that he was willing to get traded to was very limited and Anaheim was the only one on the list with the cap room and the glut of your players to make the deal). Getting Beaucheman was an accident, he wanted to dump Federov's contract. When he got to Anaheim they were loaded with youth thanks to Bryan Murray.

I don't think he let's Penner walk because he knows he can dump some salary before December to get under the cap number. He won't know what to do with the extra draft picks anyway, his track record at the draft table does not inspire confidence.

In Vancouver he drafted HORRIBLY. When he arrived in Vancouver the team was in shambles and he helped turn it around with his skills as a salesman. He got the corperate community back on board and put butts in the seats. That said, the team was a goaltender away from truly making a run for the Cup for a three year period and he never pulled the trigger.

The moves he made to "build the team" are a slight mirage. He had talent when he arrived here and pieces to move. Pavel Bure wanted out so he was forced to make the deal but it was not the RIGHT deal. Mike Keenan had a trade in place to send Bure to the Rangers but Burke torpedoed it and waited, taking a lesser deal from the Panthers.

Burke is a good trader when he actually makes the deal but he is too conservative and a lot of the "core" of that team was already in Vancouver (Bertuzzi, Nazzy, Ohlund).

The Ducks team is the same. All he did was sign Neids as a free agent (Neids wanted to play with his brother anyway) and trade for Pronger (Prongers supposed list of team that he was willing to get traded to was very limited and Anaheim was the only one on the list with the cap room and the glut of your players to make the deal). Getting Beaucheman was an accident, he wanted to dump Federov's contract. When he got to Anaheim they were loaded with youth thanks to Bryan Murray.

I don't think he let's Penner walk because he knows he can dump some salary before December to get under the cap number. He won't know what to do with the extra draft picks anyway, his track record at the draft table does not inspire confidence.

We shall see...to be determined in 10 days

I wouldn't call drafting the Sedins horrible considering the amount of first round flops Quinn drafted. But Burke's forte was trades for sure, average drafter, and very poor free agent signer while he was here.

I think GM's are giong to go after Oilers RFA. IMO, I don't think other GM's respect what Kevin Lowe has done this offseason.

I think GM's are giong to go after Oilers RFA. IMO, I don't think other GM's respect what Kevin Lowe has done this offseason.
You can look at it from different points of view. All Lowe did was play within the rules of the CBA and did something that every other GM could do. It's about making your team better and Lowe is using a tool available to him to do that very thing.

IMO Lowe messed up with with Vanek though. He should have offered Henrik Lundqvist a mega deal. the Rangers are tight against it and they would have had a tough time matching. The Oilers needed a long term solution in goal more then they needed Vanek.

He Ruined the cap for bufflao with The vanek attempt and now Penner for Burke LOOL

He didn't ruin Buffalo's cap. Signing Briere for 8/52 on the other hand will be dreadful down the road for Philly. I was listening to a Toronto station the other day and they had some hockey people on. They all agreed that somebody is going to retaliate against Burke.

Back
Top Bottom