The Official NHL Playoffs Thread!!!!! | Page 51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official NHL Playoffs Thread!!!!!

Rocky Raccoon said:
man Edmonton's goalie is playing great...too bad no one else is really helping

Hemsky has been awful...Pronger is having his worst game in 2 months...Ryan Smyth is invisible again...

Peca is playing well, so is Tarnstrom and Specek...but Jussi is keeping them in it.

Rocky Raccoon said:
by the way UT...nice job on the Yankee Stadium sweep :wink:

That was sweet!

Looks like my A's are back on track.

BTW...Staal PLOWS Spacek into the boards from behind, a CLEAR boarding/hitting from behind penalty, YET, no call.

I guess McCreary and Watson are waiting for someone to touch someones shoulder in the nuetral zone...idiots.

That Jason Smith penalty makes me wanna puke!!

He TOUCHES a guy and gets a call....meanwhile the 'Canes have gotten away with 2 boarding penalties.

Astoundingly bad officiating tonight.

The officiating was a joke and it just shows that officiating can ruin any final in any sport!

This may sound like sour grapes....I don't care. I'm not really an Oiler's fan anway...I'm just NOT a 'Canes fan.

That was the most rediculous "officiating" I think I've ever seen in a Stanley Cup game...and I've been watching this sport since I can remember (over 30 years).

Anyone who thinks the officiating was'nt poor in this game knows NOTHING about the game.

That Jason Smith penalty was horrid. The Pronger penalty was horrid. the non-calls on the two hits from behind in the third, the no call on playing the puck with a broken stick...

I'm beginning to buy into the "Carolina is the luckiest team in hockey" routine....because they are...(Koivu gets hurt, Marty Broduer turns into a bum, the Sabres defense turns into the Rochester Americans defense, Rollie gets hurt, the Oilers powerplay falls apart, the officials **** the bed)...that is a WHOLE LOT of things going your way.

They are doing good things though...Cam Ward is making BIG saves when he has to, their penalty kill is outstanding and their defense are blocking a TON of shots.

They'll likely win the Stanley Cup and Gary Bettman will have his way...another Sun Belt team winning something that almost no one there gives a damn about, that being said, and as bitter as I sound, I'll congradulate the dozen or so fans they have when they do win the Mug.

Go Oil in game 5!

unifiedtheory said:
This may sound like sour grapes....I don't care. I'm not really an Oiler's fan anway...I'm just NOT a 'Canes fan.

That was the most rediculous "officiating" I think I've ever seen in a Stanley Cup game...and I've been watching this sport since I can remember (over 30 years).

Anyone who thinks the officiating was'nt poor in this game knows NOTHING about the game.

That Jason Smith penalty was horrid. The Pronger penalty was horrid. the non-calls on the two hits from behind in the third, the no call on playing the puck with a broken stick...

I'm beginning to buy into the "Carolina is the luckiest team in hockey" routine....because they are...(Koivu gets hurt, Marty Broduer turns into a bum, the Sabres defense turns into the Rochester Americans defense, Rollie gets hurt, the Oilers powerplay falls apart, the officials **** the bed)...that is a WHOLE LOT of things going your way.

They are doing good things though...Cam Ward is making BIG saves when he has to, their penalty kill is outstanding and their defense are blocking a TON of shots.

They'll likely win the Stanley Cup and Gary Bettman will have his way...another Sun Belt team winning something that almost no one there gives a damn about, that being said, and as bitter as I sound, I'll congradulate the dozen or so fans they have when they do win the Mug.

Go Oil in game 5!

Here we go again, there were calls on both teams that were crap, and there were no calls on both sides that should have been called, put blame on the Oilers power play, all i hear is that the Canes were lucky, you had how many 5 on 3 power plays in this series? And how many goals have they gotten? 0. That is the question Oiler fans should be asking, i agree, the officiating sucks, but it is crappy for both teams, you cant blame the ref's, Edmonton has had plenty of chances to score, and to not have any shots in the last 4 minutes?

Didn't Bettmen warn that officials will be taken out if the games aren't called the same way as they are in the regular season? I don't think the playoffs have been as badly officiated as they have been in the past but still their has been a drastic change in the way games are being officiated from the regular season.

djfresh47 said:
Didn't Bettmen warn that officials will be taken out if the games aren't called the same way as they are in the regular season? I don't think the playoffs have been as badly officiated as they have been in the past but still their has been a drastic change in the way games are being officiated from the regular season.
Bettman basically told the officials that if they EVER "put the whistle away" they would get bumped.

There are many ways to look at this.

First, I'll say that I love the way the game is being played now. It is back to a point where skill and speed are a premium. You don't have to be 6'3" and 210 LBS. to be a defenseman. There is flow in the game and playmakers are rewarded. You have to be able to skate to play in todays NHL. 240 LB knuckledraggers who can only hook and hold have no place in the NHL now. That is all great.

All that being said, the new rules also reward diving. You don't have to fight through anything anymore. In todays hockey you get touched, you fall down and your team goes on the power play. That is a joke.

Last night was a perfect example. The penalty Matt Greene got right at the end of the 2nd period was a crock of ****. He had a guy bearing down on him, he stood the guy up and knocked him on his ***...and got a "holding the stick" penalty for it, when in reality it was a good, tough hockey play.

In the 80's and early 90's the officials were allowed judgement. They could sense and feel the game and call it accordingly. In todays game, no matter what the situation, they call it right down the line. They don't need judgement, they are robots.

All these penalties would'nt bother me a whole lot IF they called the obvious stuff. They miss a half dozen calls a game, every game, yet always come up with a phantom "holding the stick" call at some point.

One of a referee's main tasks is protecting the players. I just don't see a lot of that going. Again, I go to last nights game. Jaro Specek was run into the boards from behind, a play that can and has lead to serious injury, yet there was no call on the play. Yet, Jason Smith gets called for hooking with 4 minutes left on a phantom call?

The hitting from behind in these playoffs has been worse then I can ever remember and the NHL does'nt do anything about it. They won't either, until someone is paralized or killed by one of these checks.

Back
Top Bottom