the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

Got the full breakdown of height, arms, etc.

Foles has a great 6050 and 244 lbs frame with huge 10.75 inch hands but his 33 inch arms are a little longer than ideal.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Coples vs Upshaw at SOLB. Who you guys got?

If we're talking a linebacker position I believe you have to go with Upshaw.

Coples is way too big to play LB in any scheme. 6'6 281?

If Mario Williams can do it so can he.

But not ideally.

He's not the guy you want having to chase an option from inside out. Not that he'll have to do that much at the next level but some of the run duties might approximate that.

On the other hand his frame and speed would be TERRIFIC in zone coverage. He could dominate passing lanes.

Watching the NFC championship game and seeing the kid from Missouri, Aldon Smith, it reinforced my view of Upshaw at 9. Smith ended up going a bit higher than people thought last year (7th I believe). I think Upshaw may have a similar effect. Upshaw may not have the raw pass rush ability the Mizzou kid brings, but he is a more complete football player.

Also, look at the Giants, bringing pressure in waves. The Giants understand you need playmakers on both sides of the ball, something Miami is largely bereft of. Its time to solve it. The Giants have Osi Umenyiori and Tuck, and still bring in Kiwanuka. And then Pierre-Paul. Brilliant.

Upshaw would bring a playmaking element Miami needs. If we could figure out how to get Barron in here too, that would be amazing, although unlikely. I am hearing lower first for Barron. I need to see what other S possibilities are out there. You keep Soliai, get Upshaw and a safety in here, and this defense can get lethal in a hurry.

Coples vs Upshaw at SOLB. Who you guys got?

upshaw all the way...i think you can gain the edge too easy on coples if you ask him to stand up and flow down the los...i don't think thats the case with upshaw...he's got quick short area explosion and acceleration and he will run your *** down...but yeah coples would be murder in the passing lanes given that length...he's just a 43 de all the way for me though...with some kick inside package abilities

if i have a concern with upshaw its as a pass rusher...i'm just not sure i see high end edge rush abilities there...i see a lot of power and strength...but not top 10 pick pass rush tools

I like Upshaw, but he isn't Aldon Smith. Aldon Smith was a different animal, as far as playing on the line of scrimmage as a pass rusher. Didn't really think Aldon should play OLB in a 3-4 but then again, I'm not sure he's really being asked to do that much in San Fran.

I like Upshaw, but he isn't Aldon Smith. Aldon Smith was a different animal, as far as playing on the line of scrimmage as a pass rusher. Didn't really think Aldon should play OLB in a 3-4 but then again, I'm not sure he's really being asked to do that much in San Fran.

agreed...

Most of it comes down to lower body explosion. How these guys perform in the broad jump/vertical jump, etc. is what determines a potential elite pass rusher in the NFL from a potential JAG.

The game film is all on Upshaw's side. How well he tests in lower body explosion is going to give a more clear indication of his upside.

Weeden only has 9" hands...really small for a guy his size. Russell came in shorter than I thought but he has huge hands at 10".

Actually Weeden's hands are 9.5 inches and yes Russell Wilson's hands are 10.0 inches. Half an inch difference not exactly earth shattering there.

Weeden is put together very well for a quarterback at 6034 and 219 lbs, 30.5 inch arms and 9.5 inch hands. His hands aren't small for a QB, they're normal sized. Could his hands be a little bigger? Sure. Does it matter on a guy that throws a 97 mph fast ball and puts smoke trails on the football? No.

Foles has a fantastic 6'5" and 244 lbs frame with hands nearly 11 inches but his 33 inch arms are a little longer than ideal for quick, compact, versatile and consistent mechanics.

weeden was only 219 lbs...he looks bigger than that to me...i was thinking 235 lbs...heh

But where the hell is Coby Fleener? Kendall Wright is out. As you say T.Y. Hilton is out. I'm not a huge fan but Nick Toon is out. Brandon Mosley is out. Devon Still is out. Josh Chapman obviously can't participate. Mark Barron not there.

Fleener declined, so did teammate Delano Howell. Barron is hurt too.

Volin: Dolphins interview Houston WR Patrick Edwards at Senior Bowl

* The Dolphins interviewed several prospects yesterday at the Senior Bowl, and I know of one: Houston WR Patrick Edwards, a speedy slot receiver who had 89 catches for 1,752 yards and 20 touchdowns last year. He’s only 5-9 and 175 pounds, but the Dolphins are still looking for more speed on offense. One of the players that should be at the top of their draft board, speedy Baylor WR Kendall Wright, dropped out of the Senior Bowl because of an ankle injury.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...-qb-and-coaching-search-from-the-senior-bowl/

http://www.phins-spotlight.com/2012/01/dolphins-interview-houston-wr-patrick.html

good grief...stop talkin so damn much and show us some damn drills...

i think tj grahams a pro...he's quick twitch and explosive...not seeing a whole lot from these north wrs and dbs in one on one drills...

Back
Top Bottom