The plan for LT Bryant McKinnie | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The plan for LT Bryant McKinnie

Wish we'd had the bye week to work him into the lineup, but whatever this is better than the alternative. I've always had a feeling Mt. McKinnie would end up a Dolphin. Strange that it happens at this point of his career.

I hope he left his personal assistant "Sweet Pea" in Baltimore!

I wasn't going to post anymore but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't McKinnie available during free agency? Now we gave up a draft pick for him. Are you kidding me. Guys Ireland needs to go ASAP....

Jeff is really peeving me off - surprised he hasn't headed back to the CFL

pretty obvious who we are drafting in the first round next year...an LT. I really hope Martin pans out well at RT, because id hate to waste a draft pick on an RT.

McKinnie said he weighed in at 364 pounds before practice. Wow. The largest player who has ever worn a Dolphins uniform at 6'8" 364. Gargantuan.

I'm sure he has plenty of gas. I just hope he has some motivation.

His home and kin folks are here so maybe that helps. He was damn good in college many moons ago . Outland trophy good.

For what it's worth, spoke to a Ravens fan I know about this, somebody who typically gives a pretty balanced view on these things.

He thinks its a good move for us, said point blank he thought McKinnie was crucial to the team's SB run last season and would probably be at least average for us in pass protection.

So there's that.

For what it's worth, spoke to a Ravens fan I know about this, somebody who typically gives a pretty balanced view on these things.

He thinks its a good move for us, said point blank he thought McKinnie was crucial to the team's SB run last season and would probably be at least average for us in pass protection.

So there's that.

Average is better than what we're use to so I'll take it. At his size, I literally just want him to roll over defenders in the rushing game and give Ryan at least 2 seconds more in the pocket.

So there's that.

After winning the SB and then seeing lots of his friends leave he probably lost interest at the end.
Funny during the off season him and Tannehill were doubles partners in some charity event and spent the whole day together. At the time it was rumored he could sign here.
i truly hope he's come to play and I don't mean on South Beach.

This is looking at the bright side, but I do believe it to be a legitimate hope..

...Bryant Mckinnie WANTS to be a Miami Dolphin. He is playing on a 1 year contract. He's 34 but a physically dominant specimen. He will never be what he used to be, but if he can anchor the position and give Tannehill an extra second on average, and Tannehill makes quicker decisions, it can work. Doesn't seem like he wants to retire, so maybe he'll get himself right mentally and hold down LT. If he does, maybe we don't HAVE TO draft a tackle early next year. Maybe he plays well enough to merit re-signing. Maybe he holds down the fort for the year and we sign Branden Albert. I'm thinking Jonathan Martin is a better fit at right tackle. But Moral of the story: we are getting a motivated player who has been a star in the league for a long time, albeit now on the decline. I'm not sure how much worse he is than Jake Long to be honest. If he works hard learns the playbook and brings attitude to this offensive line..we might have stumbled onto a very valuable piece of the puzzle. One can only hope..

lol, funny how everytime we acquire a new oline man everyone has high hopes for the guy, but im willing to bet in 3 weeks time mckinne will be the new Colombo around this site. lol

lol, funny how everytime we acquire a new oline man everyone has high hopes for the guy, but im willing to bet in 3 weeks time mckinne will be the new Colombo around this site. lol

High hopes are apart of being a fan, fact is, any move is better than sticking with what we have. Even if it doesn't work out . . . options are limited and you have to try and do something. I have a good feeling that no matter what happens, none of us are going to be sitting here wondering why we benched Clabo.

A move is...better then nothing. I don't think anyone could have foreseen that Clabo would play as bad as he has....I (like many) thought the line would at least be serviceable with RG being the biggest weakness, but you can never quite predict when a player's ability is going to drop off and how much that drop off will be. I'm going to go into this cautiously optimistic, because. as a fan, I will take any improvement to the line even if it is minute. As the old adage goes....football is a game of inches, maybe this move will be just enough to turn those close loses into wins.

well i took a look at mckinnies work vs us to see what he has left...the good news is it looks like his feet are still pretty solid...hard to gain the corner against and he's stouter as far as being bull rushed than martin or clabo have shown to be...can get off balance and be beaten to the inside and he's not a guy that's gonna find good work in the run game every snap in fact at times you are gonna say is the left tackle really trying...in pass pro seems to lack the lateral quickness to be in good position against inside power at times but he also tosses guys like rag dolls on contact at times...

all in all i think this is gonna work out better for us than the old tackle lineup...i don't think you are gonna see this guy walked back into your qb all that often...much stouter and harder to move...and his kick slide and footwork against the outside speed rush is better than anyone could expect given his age and massive size

forget about him getting out to things in too much space...it won't happen...he's a play within a 10 foot box left tackle now...i wouldn't be asking him to cut guys much either...let him get those long arms and massive size on em

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom