The plan for LT Bryant McKinnie | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The plan for LT Bryant McKinnie

well i took a look at mckinnies work vs us to see what he has left...the good news is it looks like his feet are still pretty solid...hard to gain the corner against and he's stouter as far as being bull rushed than martin or clabo have shown to be...can get off balance and be beaten to the inside and he's not a guy that's gonna find good work in the run game every snap in fact at times you are gonna say is the left tackle really trying...in pass pro seems to lack the lateral quickness to be in good position against inside power at times but he also tosses guys like rag dolls on contact at times...

all in all i think this is gonna work out better for us than the old tackle lineup...i don't think you are gonna see this guy walked back into your qb all that often...much stouter and harder to move...and his kick slide and footwork against the outside speed rush is better than anyone could expect given his age and massive size

forget about him getting out to things in too much space...it won't happen...he's a play within a 10 foot box left tackle now...i wouldn't be asking him to cut guys much either...let him get those long arms and massive size on em

how do you feel about Martin at RT? hes better then clabo no doubt but he got beat badly at times at lt

Williams usually plays the right side probably a good 80% of his snaps. Defenses always line up thier best DL pass rusher on the right side because its usually a match-up problem. Just like how we line Wake up exclusively on the right side.
Believe it or not Martin at LT although a problem was not the biggest problem. There is a reason M.Williams eventually lined up on Clabeo's side for the final couple of drives...

Average is better than what we're use to so I'll take it. At his size, I literally just want him to roll over defenders in the rushing game and give Ryan at least 2 seconds more in the pocket.

Average would be a HUGE improvement over what we have now. So yes, if he can just be an average pass blocker, I'll do cartwheels.

lol, funny how everytime we acquire a new oline man everyone has high hopes for the guy, but im willing to bet in 3 weeks time mckinne will be the new Colombo around this site. lol

everyone has high hopes? obviously you didn't read the first thread that broke the news on FH? I'd say 90% of the people in that thread hated the move. As a Miami Dolphins forum, I would expect that everyone that is a fan of the Dolphins would HOPE that Mckinnie, or any new Dolphins player helps improve the team. What did you expect? Everyone to hope he sucks?

lol, funny how everytime we acquire a new oline man everyone has high hopes for the guy, but im willing to bet in 3 weeks time mckinne will be the new Colombo around this site. lol

I have no illusions about Bryan McKinnie, especially at this late point in his career and coming midseason onto this team.

But you can't deny that he was very effective for the Ravens, helping them in their Super Bowl run last season. And maybe, just maybe he has enough left in the tank to make a difference. Bottom line, Tyson Clabo is on pace to be the worst tackle in NFL history with 21+ sacks allowed, so how the heck can you be pessimistic about a move that rotates him to the bench?

The move may not work but it's a move that has to be tried. Of course there are those that would rather Ireland do nothing so they can bitch about it.

at his size, he better hold for 2 seconds lol

I am still wondering why we have a guy on the roster that is a backup swing tackle that has yet to sniff the field? If this guy is no help send him the **** down the road. How did he make the team anyway? Our replacement OL's are apparently not suitable for game play... Why are they still here? McKinney? I hope he's at least a band aid before RT get's killed.

how do you feel about Martin at RT? hes better then clabo no doubt but he got beat badly at times at lt

i think he'll fare better over there...also we can help him if need be...not gonna be as bad as clabo was...while not a great athlete he's much better than clabo is at this stage

I am still wondering why we have a guy on the roster that is a backup swing tackle that has yet to sniff the field? If this guy is no help send him the **** down the road. How did he make the team anyway? Our replacement OL's are apparently not suitable for game play... Why are they still here? McKinney? I hope he's at least a band aid before RT get's killed.

i think it says something that are keeping around will yeatman...i would too...potentially could have our long term left tackle there...but the light bulb needs to come on like by next training camp or he's probably gonna run out of mulligans

i would cut a lot of other guys before i let a physical talent like yeatman go and end up somewhere else in 2 years playing a good left tackle

He will be better than clabo and Martin is obviously better than clabo. Clabo was a liability.

Believe it or not Martin at LT although a problem was not the biggest problem. There is a reason M.Williams eventually lined up on Clabeo's side for the final couple of drives...

Agreed. I caught parts of the games against The Ravens and Bills. It was the right side of the OL was terrible.

Moving Martin to RT helps, but, who becomes the new ORG? Watkins? Yeatman? Garner?

In the process of typing, I had an idea... move Richie I to ORG and put Yeatman who is more fluid at OLG. Then, you have the 3 OL who can move around for traps, pulls, getting to the 2nd level, etc...

isn't an OL player pretty much plug and play, I mean pass blocking is just blocking the guy in front of you. running plays are a little more, if they are zone and involve pulling which we don't di much of

For what it's worth, spoke to a Ravens fan I know about this, somebody who typically gives a pretty balanced view on these things.

He thinks its a good move for us, said point blank he thought McKinnie was crucial to the team's SB run last season and would probably be at least average for us in pass protection.

So there's that.

Freaking awesome year 6 after spending first overall pick, 16th pick, a second, a couple 3rds and 10's of millions in free agency on the offensive line and our goal is average play!

isn't an OL player pretty much plug and play, I mean pass blocking is just blocking the guy in front of you. running plays are a little more, if they are zone and involve pulling which we don't di much of

It's more technical than that, and while I have some understanding of guard versus tackle, I'm not very good at translating that. What I do know is that if you have weak spots, mental or physical, they are easily exposed on the outside where there is more responsibility and the challenge is greater because you facing guys whose primary job is finding your weaknesses and getting around them. The left side is especially important because the best pass rusher for the defense usually lines up on the blind side of the QB. Also, the left side is less likely to have the TE there to help, because if the TE is on the field, he will most frequently line up on the right side, which is the strong side for most QB's.

Back
Top Bottom