The Problem With The Hurryup O | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Problem With The Hurryup O

LoneStarPhin

Active Roster
Reaction score
I agree it's fun to watch when it's working, and we seem to have the right personnel to be able to run it.

Butit's all about the D. Take it from an Aggie who watched first hand perhaps the best hurryup in college under Sumlin coupled with a weak D.

Even if you score quick, it tires out a D. If you DONT score, its even worse for them.

Also, the impact of one mistake on O is multiplied x5.

I think Gase understands this, and intends to use this sparingly- perhaps one drive per half (not including last minute drives), or per game. We just dont have the D to run this O often.

As soon as there's a negative play, I expect RT will immediately slow it down. It's an O that rolls downhill fast with momentum, but a big rock that will drag you down if not handled correctly. Big reward Big risk.

Last edited:
Miami has only rolled this out in the preseason. Let's take a step back and realize we haven't seen a lot of what it's capable of.

I don't believe our O has demonstrated the consistent execution and proficiency required to go fast break...

Heck, we have problems at normal speed let alone ramping it up!

Love the hurry up offense, Gase and Tannehill are smart enough to figure it out. Also our D has excellent depth to make this work, our starters may not be the best in the business but our D line and secondary is deep, and some of our back up LB's are probably better than the starters. Take Chase Allen for example, he may not be good enough to start, but he and Kwon are our two best POA guys on D, and I'm still holding out hope Anthony can at least contribute a lil bit out there. He is a great athlete after all, don't understand why he's so bad lol.

Last edited:
Miami has only rolled this out in the preseason. Let's take a step back and realize we haven't seen a lot of what it's capable of.

my point was that even if youre good at it, it's all about the D. you need
to use it sparingly. I do agree we can make it work, but in moderation.

Everything about the hurry up has been strategized for months now if you come to think about it. We are 2 deep on every position of the defensive line. That will give us the opportunity to rotate players when they are getting gassed from a couple 3 and outs by the offense

Can’t say that I agree. Miamis meal ticket on d is the sub package edge pass rush.

Best way to unleash it and hide the run game d is to score points and get leads.

Cam wake and Robert Quinn will finish on qbs if they can pin ears. Charles Harris is a wild card.

Like years past, it will put miles on the defense that matter in December.

I think Gase will be strategically inclined enough to know when to go full throttle and when to simmer down to standard speed.

In my view, the hurry up should be used when mismatches exist. Prevents the defense from subbing.
With the speed and versatility of skill positions, I expect Gase wants to do to opponents what they have done to Miami these past few years. Throw to TE and RB over and over when the defense can't matchup

I agree it's fun to watch when it's working, and we seem to have the right personnel to be able to run it.

Butit's all about the D. Take it from an Aggie who watched first hand perhaps the best hurryup in college under Sumlin coupled with a weak D.

Even if you score quick, it tires out a D. If you DONT score, its even worse for them.

Also, the impact of one mistake on O is multiplied x5.

I think Gase understands this, and intends to use this sparingly- perhaps one drive per half (not including last minute drives), or per game. We just dont have the D to run this O often.

As soon as there's a negative play, I expect RT will immediately slow it down. It's an O that rolls downhill fast with momentum, but a big rock that will drag you down if not handled correctly. Big reward Big risk.

Of all the variables in using the hurry-up, one is how long the D has been on the field. I think every HC is smart enough to take that into consideration. And, hurry-up doesn't require a quick snap - just quick getting to the line.

Back
Top Bottom