The Problem With The Hurryup O | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Problem With The Hurryup O

I wonder if theres any relation between a D pinning their ears back against a fruitless OL on 3rd and long, and a QB struggling to move the chains.

There are lots of excuses but the good QBs concert 3rd and longs all the time, just ask Andrew Luck. He has had virtually no run game, bad o-lines, trash defenses, and still produced winning seasons. Because he is great on 3rd down.

That’s the difference between bad, average, good, and great, 3rd down.

TH has always struggled in that category. We have been one of the worst 3rd down teams in his time as a QB. Can it improve? Because that’s going to be the difference if we are to make the playoffs.

in his 5 seasons, the fins have averaged 21st in 3rd down conversions %.

Not great, but far from the worst. about the 40th percentile.

really, given whats surrounded him and our coaches, i was surprised it was that good.

i agree it needs to improve alot, and i think we saw that the last we saw in 2016.

EDIT UPDATE: nah, i just checked and our conv % for those 8 games was 37/96. about 38 %.

Last edited:
Is it going to be a battle Royale like Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride? Just imagine Burke smashing Loggains in the head.:biggrin

There are lots of excuses but the good QBs concert 3rd and longs all the time, just ask Andrew Luck. He has had virtually no run game, bad o-lines, trash defenses, and still produced winning seasons.Because he is great on 3rd down.

you might be right,but i'd be very surprised if his conv rate was over 20-25%. i might take a snapshot from Luck 2016 (select a similar period to RT17 8 game streak) using 3rd and 8+.

I agree it's fun to watch when it's working, and we seem to have the right personnel to be able to run it.

Butit's all about the D. Take it from an Aggie who watched first hand perhaps the best hurryup in college under Sumlin coupled with a weak D.

Even if you score quick, it tires out a D. If you DONT score, its even worse for them.

Also, the impact of one mistake on O is multiplied x5.

I think Gase understands this, and intends to use this sparingly- perhaps one drive per half (not including last minute drives), or per game. We just dont have the D to run this O often.

As soon as there's a negative play, I expect RT will immediately slow it down. It's an O that rolls downhill fast with momentum, but a big rock that will drag you down if not handled correctly. Big reward Big risk.

To me most modern college offenses are designed to make things really simple for QBs and put all mental decisions in the hands of the coordinator.

Every NFL offense should have the hurry up offense in its arsenal. You see good offenses run a hurry up all the time that takes just as much time off the play clock as the guys that huddle every play. The hurry up gives the QB an opportunity to look at the defense line up and makes it more difficult for the defense to alter the look/personnel.

I gotta think having a TE that can actually threaten the seam AND catch the ball will help in this area. Also having a group of receivers who know the offense is supposedly going to open up the play book for once as well.

Frank Gore.....

Play action out of 12 personnel....I hope we see a lot of this.

Of course this assume we don't shoot ourselves in the foot on 3rd down with stupid penalties.

foozool13-

You were right. I compared 2016 Luck (best 8 game stretch 5-3) with RT 2016 (7-1). Looked at all 3rd downs w 8+ yds to go.

Luck converted 12/39 (30.7%)

RT converted 5/41 (12.2%)

As this came up about 5 times per game,
on avg, it translates into this difference:

over 3 games, Luck would convert a 3rd and long 5 times. Tannehill 2 times.

stated another way, on average, Luck would keep one more drive alive each game than Tannehill. (drives with 3rd and long).

Last edited:
I don't think the intent is to run hurry-up consistently. I think we are practicing now to get proficient at it, but the idea is to vary tempo. Not let the defense know how much time is has to call its play and get set, etc. Sometimes go fast, sometimes go slow, but never be predictable about it.

Back
Top Bottom