The Raiders? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Raiders?

Originally posted by HelpForRicky
It seems like every magazine about football I see right now has the Raiders going to the Superbowl. The Oakland Raiders. The same Oakland Raiders we over-whelmed last year.

Oakland is going to come out and try to do the exact same ting that they did last year. Play mediocre defense, and pass the hell out of the ball. Thats all they can do. The simple fact is, the raiders will have a tough time against any team with a solid front four. Or even a good DE. I believe the Dolphins fit that mould.

I dont even know why i even made this post, I just got sick and tired of seeing raiders raiders raiders. Lets see them play miami right now. No Chance. We would overwhelm them once again.

Im not garuanteeing Miami will win the superbowl, but i am garuanteeing the raiders won't.

Here is the thing with the Raiders. Rice and Brown don't have seperation speed, so they won't beat you with that. Rather, they ake advantage of their superior route-running to gain seperation. On top of that, they both catch anything you throw at them. With that in mind, the best way to defend them, maybe the only way, is press coverage. How many teams in the league have corners that can do this? Miami, Philly, maybe Washington, maybe Buffalo.

Additionally, if you don't have the corners, you can get away with it if you have a great front 7 to bring constant pressure. This throws off Gannon's timing and makes the slant patterns less effective. However, the Raiders have a superb OL, making it tough to do it without blitzing. What happens when you blitz? They kill you with their TE and Charlie Garner. That makes it very risky to blitz. Not many teams can get pressure with just their front 4.

The point of this? The Raiders are the favorites because there are only a few teams in the NFL that can use press coverage, or get constant pressure with their front 4. the Raiders rack up wins because they run up the score and make the opposing offense beat them by throwing the ball. This plays in to their hands because they also have a very good secondary. They are a very good offense. Until someone beats them, they deserve to be favored......

I gotta admit CW ... Baz has a point. You have a knack for turning a good thread into smack.

Hey...haven't we had this conversation before? I think we have.
I was nice about it the first time.... if it continues, I won't even bother saying anything, you'll just be forced to stay in the smack forum

how is that smack?...please tell me...I'm just pulling up the history books like these guys are...no ill will, I'm just saying Raiders have had their share of success against the Fins....man, i'm sorry...

ok, Dolphin's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, is that what you want to hear all day?...everything's not peaches and cream you know....i do this on the jet board too, and they dont take it as smack...if you havent noticed, I picked you guys to win the division

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

so you'd rather everybody just sit around and talk about how good your gonna be without any doom and gloom?....thats boring:rolleyes:

No, I'd rather you not argue against fact. FACT. The only time we've lost to the Raiders the last few seasons is the playoffs in 2000. FACT. The Raiders themselves have expressed disinterest in playing us. FACT. This defense is one of maybe 3 that can hold the Raiders offense.

Want to argue who will finish first/last in the division? Fine. Want to argue who the better team is? Fine. Its stupid to ague against fact though......

Originally posted by Bazinet37

No, I'd rather you not argue against fact. FACT. The only time we've lost to the Raiders the last few seasons is the playoffs in 2000. FACT. The Raiders themselves have expressed disinterest in playing us. FACT. This defense is one of maybe 3 that can hold the Raiders offense.

Want to argue who will finish first/last in the division? Fine. Want to argue who the better team is? Fine. Its stupid to ague against fact though......
i'm not arguing how you've fared against them...you won some regular season meetings against them...thats cool, they beat you in an important game tho...the playoffs....and to take it one farther, the game you beat them in last year ended up having no significance because they won their last 2 and got #1, and you guys lost your last 2, and missed the playoffs.....i'm not arguing that you've had success against them..i'm just arguing that the Raiders won the one meaningful game(no smack)

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

i'm not arguing how you've fared against them...you won some regular season meetings against them...thats cool, they beat you in an important game tho...the playoffs....and to take it one farther, the game you beat them in last year ended up having no significance because they won their last 2 and got #1, and you guys lost your last 2, and missed the playoffs.....i'm not arguing that you've had success against them..i'm just arguing that the Raiders won the one meaningful game(no smack)

The point is, that it was a much different team that beat them in 2002, than the one that lost to them in 2000 (ie - Lamar Smith vs Ricky Williams).
We had their number last year... we knew it...they knew it... and if we would have faced them in the playoffs... we probably would have won. We owned them in that game last year... we didn't just beat them, we shut them down.

Originally posted by WharfRat

The point is, that it was a much different team that beat them in 2002, than the one that lost to them in 2000 (ie - Lamar Smith vs Ricky Williams).
We had their number last year... we knew it...they knew it... and if we would have faced them in the playoffs... we probably would have won. We owned them in that game last year... we didn't just beat them, we shut them down.
you won 23-17, and they almost came back on you....you were dominating that game, but like the season, you let up in the second half...and btw...Charlie garner is alot better than Wheatley and Kaufman....Charlie was like 50 yards rushing and receiving away from being only the 3rd 1000-1000 man ever...also, jerry rice is better than andre rison, and jerry porter is better than whoever their 3rd WR was....its all a moot point...could you of beaten the raiders in the playoffs had you made it?....if you were at home, yes...but we'll never know

Call me stupid (you guys all do anyway :p ) but I don't see the smack CW is purporting in this thread. At least, I don't see it being any worse than Tatonka, Justafan and to some extent Clumped. However I will say this, if you are going to bring up another teams playoff history in a negative light, don't play the pity me game if it comes back to you. Because after all, Buffalo and their fans really have nothing to make fun of when it comes to playoff impotency other than their own team. Hey don't attack me though, I am just preparing for what fans all over the world say about Buffalo every day :rolleyes: :lol:

WharfRat, Bazinet and Muck, haven't seen anything from you guys in awhile although that is probably due to me not posting... Anyhow, nice to hear from all three of you!

Originally posted by Samphin
Call me stupid (you guys all do anyway :p ) but I don't see the smack CW is purporting in this thread. At least, I don't see it being any worse than Tatonka, Justafan and to some extent Clumped. However I will say this, if you are going to bring up another teams playoff history in a negative light, don't play the pity me game if it comes back to you. Because after all, Buffalo and their fans really have nothing to make fun of when it comes to playoff impotency other than their own team. Hey don't attack me though, I am just preparing for what fans all over the world say about Buffalo every day :rolleyes: :lol:

WharfRat, Bazinet and Muck, haven't seen anything from you guys in awhile although that is probably due to me not posting... Anyhow, nice to hear from all three of you!
playoff impotency indeed;) :
since 1990: Bills 44, Dolphins 34
Bills 29, Dolphins 10
Bills 37, Dolphins 22
Dolphins 24, Bills 17
may of missed a few here and there...but thats just dolphins-bills

MY Favorite stat personally is this

Buffalo 0-4 in Consecutive SuperBowl Appearances

Miami 2 Time World Champion and only team in NFL history to go undefeated.

So I ask you in the tone of Kurt Angle, " Where's your Lombardi Trophy?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Samphin
MY Favorite stat personally is this

Buffalo 0-4 in Consecutive SuperBowl Appearances

Miami 2 Time World Champion and only team in NFL history to go undefeated.

So I ask you in the tone of Kurt Anlge, " Where's your Lombardi Trophy?"
don't have one, as you know...the nfl is what have you done for me lately?...and both bills and dolphins have done nothing

Funny how you like to look into the past only when it suits your argument. Sounds like someone still has some healing to do from the early nineties.

Anyhow, enough with the past tomfoolery. I, for one have not seen your predictions, how do you see the Bills doing this season?

Since 1997, the Phins are 5-1 against Oakland. Yes, they whooped us in the playoff game. But you can't say that last season's meeting wasn't important because, at the time, it was a HUGE game. Whatever happened after the fact is irrelivant. It was Week 15 and it was the most important game to date.

Yeah, that last Bills victory over us came in the Shula era. Come to think of it, that was the last playoff game you won, period!! Talk about impotency. It's been 8.5 years. :lol:

CW, very good points, sometimes the truth hurts, you haven't come close to smack in this thread, but you have touch nerves, it's a fine line between feelings of wanting joy and knowing the truth. We haven't gotten the job done with the talented teams we've had. That's not smack, that's fact. We've beaten the last 3 ACF Champs in regular season, only to watch those teams go on to the super bowl, while we sit at home with a more talented team...It sucks, and every time you remind us, it hurts more...That the reality of your comments and why their seen as smack. Sometimes we have to step back and realize that we haven't done anything in awhile and until our team gets us out of this funk, we'll have be able to take the truth as it is, and not charge everyone who makes us face the truth as smack talkers. BTW..0-4 in 4 straight tries is a little tough don't you think, as you can see we feel your pain too.

Back
Top Bottom