The Saints/Deuce and Yes Ricky | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Saints/Deuce and Yes Ricky

Originally posted by booyeah_

Then why did ESPN just say that Ricky played last year while being 250 lb.s?

I'm assuming they read the article that started all this.....Saturday night the saints annoucers said he never played at 250 and they are right. I didn't hear them, i was at the game....but they apparently said he never played at that weight....and he didn't. I would think the people that have watched every saints game would know more than the espn annoucncers, that do 1 game per year.

Originally posted by booyeah_

Then why did ESPN just say that Ricky played last year while being 250 lb.s?

New Orleans: Ricky Williams vs. Deuce McAllister
Despite skipping the team's offseason conditioning program, Ricky Williams showed up for a post-draft mini-camp weighing 228 pounds -- almost 10 pounds below his playing weight the last two years. He also looked faster and more explosive than he has at any time since early in his rookie season.

According to observers, Williams told coaches and teammates that 2001 is going to be his breakout season. He appears to be using the injury problems that marred his first two seasons as a pro -- as well as the arrival of first-round draft pick Deuce McAllister -- as motivation for the upcoming year.

One of the nation's top prospects before his senior season at Ole Miss, McAllister's stock dropped dramatically after shoulder and ankle injuries limited him to just eight appearances as a starter in 2000.

And the Saints, who compare McAllister to Fred Taylor and Marcus Allen because of his 4.4 speed, slashing style and ability to go the distance at any time, took advantage of that slide by snagging him with the 23rd pick overall. The youngster reportedly made significant progress during a recent 14-day series of coaching sessions. But as head coach Jim Haslett noted, "There's a lot of things he's got to learn. One of the things is how we practice. How the NFL works. He's got to learn the offense. But he's a smart kid and I think he's going to pick everything up fast."

One last note here: The recent revelation that Williams is taking anti-depressant medication for a social anxiety disorder has reportedly lifted his spirits greatly.

Duece

The big run that Duece had last year for 60 plus yards, go back and look at who made the block for him. That's right, it was Ricky Williams.

just watched the game and must say yall are right he is a much different runner now.with yall o-line he may adv. 2 yards per carry.(a cheap shot i know)i did think yall would have a better line than that though.it is simply a difference of styles yall are going to the ground and pound and were going to the fun and gun.at the end of the year we will see which worked out better.i wish rickey a productive season(for alternitive reasons of course).I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A LINK OR AN ARTICLE FOR THE HASLETT RUMORS THAT I KEEP READING ABOUT ON HERE.who knows mabey it just bs?????

Re: Duece

Originally posted by IAFINFAN
The big run that Duece had last year for 60 plus yards, go back and look at who made the block for him. That's right, it was Ricky Williams.

I never said ricky couldn't block......I never said he wasn't a great runningback.....i said he can't break long runs. In his first two seasons, he didn't have a single run over 30yrds. I believe he had one last year.

Saint Greg

Saints fans are going to find out quite early that yall do not have the qb to run that offense. Fast receivers and running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, but without a smart and consistent qb, the offense will sputter. Yall are trying to be the rams, but yall don't have the guy that makes the offense such a juggernaut...Kurt Warner.

Originally posted by Fletch Longhorn
Saint Greg

Saints fans are going to find out quite early that yall do not have the qb to run that offense. Fast receivers and running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, but without a smart and consistent qb, the offense will sputter. Yall are trying to be the rams, but yall don't have the guy that makes the offense such a juggernaut...Kurt Warner.

Well.....Aaron Brooks is no Kurt Warner, i'll give you that. But i'd have to disagree. I think he will do fine for us. He'll go through some growing pains as all young QBs do......Heck even Brett Favre and Peyton Manning have thrown 20+ INTs in a season....Peyton did it last year, as a matter of fact.

Mike Dicka drafted Ricky to build the team around him. The current management wants to build the team around Aaron.....Ricky didn't fit into this offense as well as Deuce....That's a big part of why he was traded. I don't believe they would build an offense around someone who couldn't run it.

I guess we'll have to wait and see......but i think Aaron will be fine. I'd take him over Fiedler anyday......Aaron has more potential than Fiedler.

Originally posted by J-E-T-S
To Saints Fan:
As I am sure that you watched and cheered for Ricky all of last season, can you tell the Dolphin faithful how effective Ricky was against playoff teams?

First off, I absolutely abhor the S-N-O-T-S. However, I have to give you all (Phin's fans) the main stat that might put the old RW in perspective and therefor make some of them happy.
He has more fumbles than touchdowns, 20:16. A friend of mine said, "You can't coach big hands".- David E. He is correct. I ain't gonna say that history will repeat itself, but you never know. I also have a friend that is an extreme RW homer. The problem is trying to get a decent opinion from him without feeling that Texas homer tude. It's really tough because I damn sure respect his opinion in anything but RW. His name is Coach Largent (This link has been sent to him to rebut). I was extremely pissadointed in RW. Then there is the The flakiness. Don't underestimate that part. I know you all really want him to be that 1500 yd back like us Saints' fans but a lot more depends on it than your O-Line. He seems to have a great attitude now, but last year he seemed like a new and improved RW for us as well. Just don't get those hopes up too far and enjoy the season. Oh! And F the S-N-O-t-S!

May the Playoff Gods shine upon thee and give you peace.
Ed

Ed -- the SEC homer ... .. let me ask you a question.

How many backs can you name that got more yardage from the LOS than Ricky Williams last season ??

The number is 4. In the entire NFL.

Can anyone say unreal expectations. My man Dan Marino would've KILLED for a top 5 RB. Hell, he would've killed for a top 15 RB!!!!

I know "RW is weird, RW is this, RW is that."

RW biggest problem was Ditka creating a monolithic task, and an ignorant O-Co in Mike MartzCarthy. He was weird and flaky, and though New Orleans claims to be an "eccentric" friendly place, the fan base, is for the most part from a very conservative background. They didn't like his weirdness, and he wasn't an ess-eee-cee guy, so there was no quarter for him. Like all temas there were good and bad fans, but not many that could ever except his quirkyness. While in Austin it was not only accepted but embraced. He seemed to do ok running the football back then.

So to post a reply about the fumbles, I'll go ahead and share with Phine Heaven what you've stirred up.

my quote from a previous post on the matter on whodatzone.com.

Ok --- Saints fans, let me ask you a question about the RW hatred.
[donning flame-res. suit]

So that I can get the general opinion straight ...
RW sucked, and we're all glad to be rid of him right ?? So, he fumbled A LOT, missed a LOT OF games with injury and was easy to tackle, couldn't break a long one, and was a generally weird dude. right ??

Let's see RW was all that, and still he did WHAT NO SAINT RB HAS EVER DONE !! 2 1000 yard seasons back-to-back. Oh, I know in this time of video games etc.. everyone thinks of 1000 yard season, as a simple goal, right ? Being a fan of the Dolphins gives me a great perspective on that, because though the Phins have had only had ONE losing season in my entire lifetime, we've also only had, what maybe 3 1000 yard backs ?? Maybe 4 ??

Here's some DATA to gnaw on RW haters ...

Even with the injuries, and the idiot playcalling of Danny A, then McCarthy. Even with the 4 game slide, and blah blah blah ... look at this and really mull it over ...

1043 yards per season
271 car.

364 yards rec.
44 rec.

1407 total yards per season.

Does anyone know what that is ??? It's RW average per season. Not giving him credit for per game, that's per season. Now before it gets thrown out there ... his fumbles. Even with the 3 in the one POS SF game, he was fumbling at a rate of once every 79 touches. (excluding the godfaresaken-game it's once every 105 touches.) If I have a guy that's going to get me 1400 yards (and that number will only rise in Turner's offense.) and to do that I give up a fumble every 100 + touches ... I'm not worried. Esp. when you look at his ypc after 20 + touches ...

This is for fumbles LOST, because like I said, you don't see fumbles for botched snaps, or a passes defensed stat. Fumbles that aren't lost are of little interest to me.

The stat is also misled by the 3 fumbles in the infamous EVERYONE QUIT NO v. SF game, and the two fumbles in the first season, while playing as the one armed man ...

Ed calls me a UT homer, because I live in Austin, and follow the Horns (I get to a lot of the practices, and know a coach or two), though he also knows the Noles are my team. (sorry Cane fans...).

If you want to understand more in depth Ed's analysis of RW, and his general feelings on him, by all means go to www.whodatzone.com/bb and use the search tab ... search for Ricky Williams --- by Ed, and you'll get to read through the history of his "personal" grudge with RW.

For him to call me biased in his post, while having some validity (I do love RW, and his running style) and for you to not understand Ed's biased in the other direction, would be unfair.

from Ed about RW and Saints RB's ...
Two RB's come to mind that I believe are better.
Dalton Hilliard and Reuben Mayes.

I'd say SEC homer alert, but it's fairly obvious. I'll admit that both backs were good, and under-rated, because they played for the Saints, but neither were in RW class.

Here's the thread link. Notice Saints fans (many of the same who now talk about how much he sucks, and how glad they are to be rid of him ...) were talking contract extension, and only Ed had negative things to say. (this post was made after RW eclipsed 1000 for the second year in a row, and was the FIRST SAINT back to ever do it.

Ed and I agree on some things, not on others (never RW) but I can agree 100% with this ...

F the s-n-o-t-s.

Originally posted by _Ed
I was extremely pissadointed in RW. Then there is the The flakiness. Don't underestimate that part. I know you all really want him to be that 1500 yd back like us Saints' fans but a lot more depends on it than your O-Line. He seems to have a great attitude now, but last year he seemed like a new and improved RW for us as well.
Ed

And the number one problem with RW and the Saints appears.

Who here on Phin Heaven would be dissappointed in RW (and want him traded) if he finshes top 5 in the NFL in total yardage ????

I will be just fine with it. It'd be the best Phin RB season, in a LONG time.

Oh, and for the record, in Norv's offense with the Phin D, RW will get more yardage than he did last year by a pretty good margin. Simple fact.

Originally posted by Saint Greg

I'm assuming they read the article that started all this.....Saturday night the saints annoucers said he never played at 250 and they are right. I didn't hear them, i was at the game....but they apparently said he never played at that weight....and he didn't. I would think the people that have watched every saints game would know more than the espn annoucncers, that do 1 game per year.

Tom Jackson was the one that said Ricky was heavier last year than now.

Go to saintsreport.com. It is a real Saints site with a ton of posts. You make a comment and you will get a reply in 10 seconds. It has the same format as this board and whodatzone.

Maybe you didn't know Coach Largent was doing features for whodatzone.com? It's a REAL SAINTS SITE TOO.

Originally posted by Coach_Largent

Oh, and for the record, in Norv's offense with the Phin D, RW will get more yardage than he did last year by a pretty good margin. Simple fact.

I certainly hope so.......

1200 = 2nd rd pick
1500= 1st rd pick

Back
Top Bottom