The top 4 reasons I'm guessing Frerotte won't be back now that we have Mularkey. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The top 4 reasons I'm guessing Frerotte won't be back now that we have Mularkey.

houtz said:
Frerotte proved to me that he can lead this team to a winning season. I have nothing against having him back and getting a young quarterback for him to groom.

I agree with you.... Maybe next year finding a QB.... Possibly Brady from ND?...
No aaron brooks.... please please please Not him:cry:

phinfan2003 said:
4. Linehan is gone.

3. We won't restructure his contract to give him the kind of money he wants to stay and therefore he'll be cut and signed by St. Louis as a backup.

2. Mularkey will implement his offense which I'm assuming Frerotte will know very little of.

1. Mularkey's best QB's have had completion % of 60.2, 62.1, 57.4, 56.9, and 67.4 in the past 5 years and accuracy isn't Frerotte's strong suit.

I know I'm just guessing here and I realize we'll need a veteran QB when we draft a young QB to be the long term solution but I just don't see Frerotte being that stop gap. If Holcomb is a FA (which I don't know if he is or not), he may be this year's version of Frerotte but a little more accurate.

I think there are some QB's that would be on our radar. I'd think Gerrard from Jax would be a possible guy, the Saints Aaron Brooks, as would Cleo Lemon, and really any QB out there with quick feet and a strong arm. I think we'll have someone more like a Kordell Stewert rather than a Gus Frerotte. The QB Jacobs in the draft could be a guy as well, or even Culpepper.

GWNFinfan said:
Given he knows the team and Saban, I'd prefer Gus over Brooks, and especially Holcomb and Kitna over the short term. I've never been impressed with Holcomb, his wins are infrequent and while he puts up big numbers occasionally they usually seem to be in losing efforts.

I'm really hoping that we can make the playoffs next year and make some noise in the playoffs. With that in mind, I think we are in a real disadvantage at the QB position. Lets suppose we draft Jay Cutler or some other top QB prospect. There will be a mininum of 2 years before he can make a real impact in the post season (and that's if he's great. That would put him on the level of Marino, Brady, Roethlisberger). If we keep Frerotte or sign some other vet., he'd be no more than 1 yr. player (provided we draft a rookie) and I don't think a QB of that caliber would do much for us in the post-season. If we trade for a good QB, we'd have to give up a high draft pick and who'd be out there for us to trade for?

ATS16 said:
Kind of like being drunk in a bar and seeing a chick at the other end that you'd normally wouldn't be with but due to the present circumstances, you may go after her.

:lol: Been there, but I just can't see Saban getting drunk maybe it's the Church thing? Don't get me wrong I would love a strong replacement to Frerotte but I seem him at the least as a back up for one year because of the chemistry he developed this year. Wouldn't you rather have him off the bench then a rookie? I agree that Gus will not take us to the superbowl - I saw some God awful passes yesterday and it was the difference in both games. I wouldn't count out Lemon just yet either. I think Frerotte's situation is a lot like Madison's, if Saban determines he can bring in a suitable replacement it will be done.

I'd love to see Frerotte on this team.....as a backup. I would also hope that if Saban brings Frerotte back, he envisions him being the backup and not the stop-gap until the rookie gets up to speed with things.

phinfan2003 said:
1. Mularkey's best QB's have had completion % of 60.2, 62.1, 57.4, 56.9, and 67.4 in the past 5 years and accuracy isn't Frerotte's strong suit.
If ya go by those stats, Gus is here until he retires.

daniel3 said:
I know people hate Aaron Brooks for various reasons, but Kitna and Gus over him? That's a bit harsh and unrealistic.

Yea I mean Brooks did have a couple good years and he has more TDs than Gus in his career!

I bet anything if we let Gus go not only does he go to St Louis but he will start and they will draft a QB for Linhan to groom or they will try and get someone young like Carr or Harrington, maybe even Rivers.

Saban asked Gus to do what he did and he did it well for the most part.

ELEVEN games with a QB rating of 71.7 or LOWER is "doing it well"???

Frerotte proved to me that he can lead this team to a winning season.

1- Without Sage, Gus does NOT lead us to a winning season.

2- I love how we closed out the season, but winning when it doesn't matter or people have written you off isn't quite the same.

3. Regardless, Gus wouldn't be able to do anything in the playoffs. He'd be eaten alive.

All three of them are downgrades whether they played in Mularkey's system or not.

Wait... you think Kelly Holcomb is a downgrade from GUS??? He is at much better than Gus. Look how he did this year. It's not even close. And I'm not even a Holcomb fan.

If we could bring Holcomb in to groom a rookie, that would be a BIG upgrade.

Jaj said:
Because he knows the receivers? That excuse is getting old. What the hell did that do for Jay Fiedler for 4 years...

Don't ship Gus off to yet another team, he probably has enough christmas cards to send already.....

I'd take Kitna over Brooks anyday. he's more intelligent.

phinfan2003 said:
Stewart was a bit erratic as a QB but when Mularkey was OC in 2001, Stewart had a 60.2 completion % in 2001 the year they had the best record in the AFC. The following season he kind of fell off and that's when Maddox stepped in with his 62.1 completion %.

I take that to mean that MM does a good job of improving the accuracy of his QB's, by putting them in situations to succeed. That hardly makes it less likely that Gus will be here.

phinfan2003 said:
How so? :confused: Frerotte threw for 52.0 comp. %

For one year on a new team. 18 TD's 13 Int's. Could be better and it will. And if Gus is not starting by seasons end, then everything is falling into place then isnt it? Gus starts the season. he is cool in the pocket and he can hit Booker/CC on the run now. GEt over it. Garrard is not all that. Kitna is a lateral move and we are drafting our future QB's.

finfan54 said:
i think your picture tells a story. You guys who wish for Gus to be gone keep trying.......Saban asked Gus to do what he did and he did it well for the most part. This offense needs the least amount of change that will already happen and Gus is now used to CC and co. I just do not see it happening unless Gus does not restructure.
So because Gus performed sub-par, we shouldnt upgrade? OK. One day when we lose a big game to the Jets or Pats because of Gus, I will post 10000 threads saying I told you so.

Back
Top Bottom