The top two QB's may fall? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The top two QB's may fall?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I was going to leave this one be but I was reading Jason Cole's question and answer forum and it was brought up yet again.

Q.

jc,after seing Rivers pefrormance in the senior bowl do you think he will be taken before the 20th pick? if so do the dolphins coaching staff have the balls to trade up for him or will they let him go by and draft another reeserve linebacker!
Robbie Fritz, melbourne,Florida 1/27/04

A.

That's really hard to say. there aren't a lot of teams that need QBs right now outside of the top three teams in the draft (SD, Oakland and Arizona). Rivers won't go in the top three, so he might survive to No. 20. Even then, it's hard to know right now if he's worth it. He's good. I like him, but let's look at all the draft info first.
Jason Cole 1/31/04

1. San Diego- The reason I began to doubt speculation that Marty would draft a QB is Troy Aikman said on radio this week that MARTY HAS SAID that they will not draft a QB in the first round. Then reports come out this week in various sources that San Diego will shop the pick. Combine the years of training Drew Brees to become an NFL QB with the years that Marty has left to build a winner and I don't see that team drafting a QB in round 1. I think Marty is now on a short leash with the fans in San Diego.

2.Arizona- Dennis Green was on radio Friday talking about how much he loved Josh Mccown. With that said he also said you have to have a balance on your board between taking the best athlete available and the best athlete available for your needs. I got the feeling that he was somewhat satisfied with the progress that Josh Mccown had in the final four games last year and they may make a run with him in 2004.

3. Oakland- Norv has stepped into a snake pit as we all know. He said on radio this week that he believes that you build your team around the QB. That is how important he believes the position is. He followed it up by saying that the organization has not had a chance to sit down and talk about the various needs. He said Mr. Davis may have his own idea about what the team needs. Norv never did say that the team needed a QB. He just said how important the position is to be solidified. I don't think Al Davis (who will make the decision) thinks the Raiders (one year removed from superbowl) needs are at the QB position. I also don't think Al will sit through a rookie QB. The last fellow he gave a chance before Gannon was Donald Hollas for crap's sake. A fourth year starter that didn't make it to his fifth. It's just Davis' nature to take QB off the free agent market and that is including giving up on his guy Gannon and Tuiasosopo (a second round pick).

Given all the needs of these teams I definately don't see Rivers going in the first. As a matter of fact the point of the thread is to speculate that one of the two QB's may fall into the top 20 instead of being taken in the top 10. Wouldn't that be a shocker! :eek:

I think the top two QB's will go in the top 5-10 picks.

The Cardinals - will take one of these guys if available. Dennis Green is just protecting his QB in case the Cardinals don't get one of those guys. If he says they need a QB and don't get one - he's got more difficulties.

The Raiders - It all depends on what they think of Tuiasasopo as the new QB. Gannon may last another year, but he's old and more injury prone. But, Tui performed very well before he got hurt. If they like him, they will likely go WR with the #2 pick.

The Chargers - they have the toughest dilemma. Even if they want to give Brees another shot, to pass up on a franchise QB is going to be tough. The hard part for them is they drafted Leaf and he bombed, then they traded away Vick (essentially) and he's a star.

But, there are plenty of other teams drafting ahead of us that could use a QB.

The Steelers & Bears stick out; but even the Bills, Bucs or 49ers could go that route if they liked the guy. The Bucs or 49ers could decide to release/trade their current QB's and go for one in the 1st round.

If the Steelers or Bears thinks Rivers is a franchise QB (or if one or the other two somehow fell), they would be tempted - given they don't have a great long term solution at QB.

Just my view (but, I can be too pessimistic at times!). ;)

You might as well scratch the Bucs and the Bears off..

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
I think the top two QB's will go in the top 5-10 picks.

The Cardinals - will take one of these guys if available. Dennis Green is just protecting his QB in case the Cardinals don't get one of those guys. If he says they need a QB and don't get one - he's got more difficulties.

The Raiders - It all depends on what they think of Tuiasasopo as the new QB. Gannon may last another year, but he's old and more injury prone. But, Tui performed very well before he got hurt. If they like him, they will likely go WR with the #2 pick.

The Chargers - they have the toughest dilemma. Even if they want to give Brees another shot, to pass up on a franchise QB is going to be tough. The hard part for them is they drafted Leaf and he bombed, then they traded away Vick (essentially) and he's a star.

But, there are plenty of other teams drafting ahead of us that could use a QB.

The Steelers & Bears stick out; but even the Bills, Bucs or 49ers could go that route if they liked the guy. The Bucs or 49ers could decide to release/trade their current QB's and go for one in the 1st round.

If the Steelers or Bears thinks Rivers is a franchise QB (or if one or the other two somehow fell), they would be tempted - given they don't have a great long term solution at QB.

Just my view (but, I can be too pessimistic at times!). ;)

The Bucs drafted Chris Simms last year and Gruden is really high on him, so for the Bucs to take a qb in the first round, when they drafted Chris Simms in the third round which essentially was their second round pick because they didn't have a first last year.

The Bears took Rex Grossman with one of their two first round picks last year and the when he played last year for them (later in the year) He was solid, actually he played suprisingly well. So I think it's safe to say the Bears won't be drafting a QB.

The 49er's have Garcia, Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey. I think it's safe to say that with Terrel Owens leaving, They'll be looking for a stud wr, but that all depends on FA. I do know Tim Rattay played very well for them, enough to cause a little qb contoversy/speculation. And despite all the diggs on the former UM rookie QB arm strength, last preseason all he did was play well and win. So I think if they do take a qb, it won't be in the first round, because they have a solid qb situation for their wc offensive system.

The Bills and the Steelers both scare me, the Bills because Donahoe porved last year that he'll go the unconventional route and their qb situation with Bledsoe aging ,Van Pelt the backup, and a new Head Coach with at least a 3 yr pass, I think it's safe to say QB just might be a priority for them.

The steelers, well because they always draft well (great scouting department) and Maddox didn't look like the real deal last year even with three excellent wr.

So who knows

SD will most likely draft Manning but I could see Cardinals passing up on QB and draft a positon of real need.

Originally posted by minus
SD will most likely draft Manning but I could see Cardinals passing up on QB and draft a positon of real need.

I see SD trading down, possibly with the raiders. But I see the cards deffinetly taking a QB. Think of what a talented young offense that would be. WOuld remind me of Miami's current situation. McNown may have shown something, but it's not enough to bank an entire season on.

i think Rivers is gonna fall to us....this draft is loaded, and most of the other teams drafting before us have other needs. You never know, true, but i'm pretty confident that PR is gonna fall to #20.

I don't think that either of the top three teams will take a QB. They all are so bad off and have so many needs that they really can't afford to if you think about it. Especially Arizona. I think Josh McCown has a lot of potential, just look at his numbers. And Oakland will without a doubt take Fitzgerald if Gannon is returning. That leaves San Diego. And according to Marty they aren't going to either. So then you've got the Giants #4, Washington #5, Detriot #6, Cleveland #7, Atlanta #8, Jacksonville #9, and Houston #10. None of which needs a Qb. It's definately conceivable that Ben will fall to Pittsburgh and Eli to Buffalo leaving us with Rivers. Hopefully.

Giants are going to take Manning then, they like him alot. Was heck no. Definitely not Detroit. Cleveland there have been rumors about Rothy, but I doubt it. They would rather get Shawn Andrews or Gallery whichever is still there. Falcons no(I know I messed up the order). Jax hell no. Texans no. Pittsburgh yes, without a doubt would take Rothy. We could feasibly trade into that 8-10 range and nab Rothy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure Tom Coughlin will go O-Line w/ the Giants.

No their GM loves Manning.

Originally posted by Lukin
I don't think that either of the top three teams will take a QB. They all are so bad off and have so many needs that they really can't afford to if you think about it. Especially Arizona. I think Josh McCown has a lot of potential, just look at his numbers. And Oakland will without a doubt take Fitzgerald if Gannon is returning. That leaves San Diego. And according to Marty they aren't going to either. So then you've got the Giants #4, Washington #5, Detriot #6, Cleveland #7, Atlanta #8, Jacksonville #9, and Houston #10. None of which needs a Qb. It's definately conceivable that Ben will fall to Pittsburgh and Eli to Buffalo leaving us with Rivers. Hopefully.

If Manning goes to Buffalo I will go hang myself from the nearest tree. If that even comes close to happening (and I doubt it will for many reasons) we need to find a way to trade above them and nab Eli. IF we dont get Henson.:D

Too many factors have yet to come into play here before the draft so there's no telling what's going to happen. If both Rivers AND Losman have incredible combine workouts then both will jump into the top 20 on most draft boards and will entice teams that may be borderline right now (49ers, Steelers, Buffalo, or someone we haven't thought of) to jjump in and grab one of these. Remember, Kyle Boller was projected as a second round pick and generally projected to go at about the same time or even after both Chris Simms and Dave Ragone and look what happened to him after his incredible display at the combine and in individual workouts. There's a good shot one of these guys, probably Losman, will be this year's Kyle Boller.

Eli and Ben will not make it out of the Top 5. They're QBs, teams aren't going to risk hoping that either of the two drop to them. Someone will make a move up to guarentee getting the one they want.

Back
Top Bottom