The top two QB's may fall? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The top two QB's may fall?

I think JP Losman will impress at the combines and Rivers will conjure up more questions due to lack of athletic ability (I want Rivers as our #20 pick so.) Losman has all of the physical tools to be outstanding which his combine numbers should elevate him into the 1st round and may be ahead of Rivers. I see AZ not selecting a QB which in turn pushes Rothy down further which would cause Pitt to select him or trade up a few spots to get him. I'm hard pressed to say SD would not select Manning with the first pick due to the inabilities of Brees at the position. I think if Marty was trying to show his cards at all I would look at how he handled the situation last year by putting in 40 year old Flutie. I look for to draft Manning or trade down in hopes to pick up Rivers. (Which I hope doesn't happen.) I also feel that the two specualtion picks of FA: Ricky Ray and Drew Henson will alter the draft. (Hopefully to our advantage.)

If I were SD GM:

I would strongly consider drafting Manning and forgetting about Drew Brees.

I don't see why people are keepthinking Cards must draft a QB because Josh Mcnown was impressive and has the tools you look for a in good starting QB.It will be a mistake drafting QB over other areas that really need help.I could see Cardinals trading down to pick up some extra picks.

Another addition to why they might fall.

Check out the 1998 and 1999 drafts-7 QBs were taken in the first rounds.

The following two years only two QB's were taken in the first rounds. In 2000 it was Chad Pennington. In 2001 it was Michael Vick.

Compare that to the following two years

2002-3 QB's in the first round
2003-4 QB's in the first round = 7 QBs

The Dolphins may just be at the right place at the right time.

Given what has been said from the various team sources I think Pittsburgh would be the only one to worry about.

Originally posted by minus
If I were SD GM:

I would strongly consider drafting Manning and forgetting about Drew Brees.

I don't see why people are keepthinking Cards must draft a QB because Josh Mcnown was impressive and has the tools you look for a in good starting QB.It will be a mistake drafting QB over other areas that really need help.I could see Cardinals trading down to pick up some extra picks.

Manning over Brees- no, it's pointless to draft Eli. this team has SO many holes to fill and getting a QB isn't a top need. they need DL, DB, WR, OL, as much if not more then QB. trading down and getting 2 picks is much more worth while. they can still get a QB later in round if they feel they need one. how does brees go from hving an almost 80 QB rating, to a 60 something? maybe his WR suck.. (Boston came on when Flutie was QB)?

Cards QB- i think McNown has shown some good stuff. the should not go QB, or else they're just ignoring other needs.

Then again the argument that a franchise signal caller is something you cannot pass on. And that is actually quite true.

Originally posted by Jaj
Then again the argument that a franchise signal caller is something you cannot pass on. And that is actually quite true.

Yes but how many years in a row can you pick him and give up a year later? :lol:

You're wingin out some reeeaallly stretched logic ZOD. If Eli Manning is not the guy the Chargers want they are going to trade down, not go ahead and make some other bum the #1 pick.

Eli Manning will be picked top 3, and Ben Roethlisberger top 10. There's too many teams who could use a franchise QB in the making to just let the two of them go, ESPECIALLY all the way down to #20.

The point I am trying to make is that under the current order in the draft, the kids fall based on what has been said.

Besides I think all this worrying about Phil Rivers is premature. Not only because of the Henson question which has yet to be settled, but because we haven't seen the combine results yet.

Trust me every year at the combine some guy emerges from the depths of a round 2 or bottom round 1 pick and just impresses everyone with his cannon arm. We've got a REAL likely candidate in JP Losman too. The only thing holding him back is attitude and the more teams are exposed to it, the more they'll rationalize it as the confidence of a star that sort of thing. You've got a guy with tremendous athleticism, a TREMENDOUS arm, and the guy has things to learn about being a great passer are tangible and that you can teach him (footwork, mechanics, etc). Teams might even start falling in love with Schaub a little more once they get a look at his arm which is probably a little better than Rivers.

Its just that I could have easily predicted that Rivers stock would be rising after the Senior Bowl, but the combine is the time for physical stats to shine. Rivers will run an ultra slow 40 and teams will be like "man he's a statue!" which is absurd but all the same thats what they'll do. After the combine I do not think there will be so much question surrounding whether Rivers is there at 20. The question will be more like, should we TAKE him at 20...or should we trade for Henson. Or should we go for Losman!

Well if thats the case ZOD your point was kinda weak then cuz you didnt take into account trades. I mean if you're not trying to say that there's a strong possibility Eli and Ben would fall, then why bother going though all the logic.

Its interesting that Green said he loves McCown but Norv's statements that say you build your team around the QB, I would expect that would be a strong indication that he at least will go for QB even if Marty and Dennis do not want to. If Al Davis wants to win now who is he going to go with? Marquis Tuiasasopu? No offense to him but he's not the answer. All the QBs out there are one or two years then done types...Garcia, Brunell, even Warner if he becomes available.

If River's isn't there, we should go after the UVA QB schrum(sp?) in the second round and take a WR with our first pick. Schrum had a better year than River's in '02 and wasn't that far behind him this year despite getting every Defensives' best effort against the defending ACC offense player of the year...

Originally posted by Ross
If River's isn't there, we should go after the UVA QB schrum(sp?) in the second round and take a WR with our first pick. Schrum had a better year than River's in '02 and wasn't that far behind him this year despite getting every Defensives' best effort against the defending ACC offense player of the year...

Its Schaub by the way. Hopefully it won't come to that but I expect Buffalo to look at Schaub or Pickett in the 2nd round. I really feel Rivers will be there for us to take.

if miami can't get Rivers or henson, then Losman. if neither are around wait till the 3rd for Pickett.

Has anyone considered the Pats have two picks in the 1st round, but only one real need, (Runningback). With the talent they have they have no other real needs and I wonder if they might consider trading their two 1st round picks to SD for the top pick so they can get the top RB? Just speculation.

That's what I've wondered all year....not about what they'll do with the picks, but Antowain Smith. I always saw him as a good back. Anybody else here think he'd be better if they used him right and their Oline could play the run as good as the pass?

Back
Top Bottom