The truth hurts. Finz brass listen! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The truth hurts. Finz brass listen!

OrangeBowl

Street Survivor
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
backing up homer simpson GIF

I get it, but you've got to swing for the fences. He was the best DC available and McDaniel got him. That says something too.
A couple points here, though. Usuallly, to stick with the same analogy, swinging for the fences also comes with a higher and significant statistical increase in strikeouts. Baseball is the most "situational" of the major sports.

In this situation, and yes it is a bit of hindsight, Grier and McD should have realized that we were not his first choice. There were several signs.

The only thing I find worrisome is Flo and McD are on the same trajectory when it comes to the other side of the ball. Neither could find stability. Although I believe McD is better to work with it’s producing the same. 3 years, 3 coordinator’s on the other side of the ball.

I’m a big fan of continuity even though I’m aware there have been teams who go on to do great things without it.

A couple points here, though. Usuallly, to stick with the same analogy, swinging for the fences also comes with a higher and significant statistical increase in strikeouts. Baseball is the most "situational" of the major sports.

In this situation, and yes it is a bit of hindsight, Grier and McD should have realized that we were not his first choice. There were several signs.
Always have to weigh the short-term and long-term with football decisions. Was it worth having Fangio for one season? He definitely had this defense playing well for a while (8-10) game stretch.

I'm sure Grier, McDaniel and other decision-makers felt the Dolphins had a chance.

That article is some lazy ass, revisionist history. By the time the SB was played, Gannon was far enough along with the Cardinals that he didn’t even bother leaving Phoenix after the game and was named HC of the Cardinals before Miami and Fangio became a thing.

REALITY ALERT!!
Trigger Warning for the sensitive...

I mean I agree with the premise

Our head coach lost what was important in hiring our def coordinator.

You dont want a rental

You wanna make sure he bleeds and cares about the organization

Someone was blind hiring that guy

I mean I agree with the premise

Our head coach lost what was important in hiring our def coordinator.

You dont want a rental

You wanna make sure he bleeds and cares about the organization

Someone was blind hiring that guy
If the Philly job hadn't opened up he would still be here.

Article makes a bad argument.

Bill Parcells left because of the owner change and triggered an out clause in his contract. He didn’t go to another team and effectively retired.

Nick Saban left to go back to college and became arguably the greatest college HC of all time.

I’ve got no problem criticizing the Dolphins FO but I don’t see what the first two have to do with Fangio?

I stumbled across this random podcast last week. I found it very interesting hearing the perspective of Shanahan and McVay who seem surprisingly open about things. That podcast was from the period immediately after the Rams' Super Bowl win and the 49ers' selection of Trey Lance so it's a bit dated but still very informative.

Apparently Shanahan was more or less given full authority in SF and it was John Lynch who later hit him up randomly and basically asked for a job 'doing anything.' It was hardly Lynch's own vision as GM but rather Shanahan who installed him paired with Lynch's work ethic and drive to get involved that really made things happen so well.

I think it says a lot about finding people who "want" to be somewhere and who are passionate about what they do. Shanahan, McVay and Lynch are great examples of how age and past experience aren't necessarily requirements so long as someone is willing to out-work the competition.

Chasing someone in the twilight of their career such as Bill Parcells is understandable from an organization seeking stability but it doesn't create the same long-term value that finding the next big thing does. Recall, the Dolphins interviewed and passed on Mike Tomlin. There are always guys out there.

When the Dolphins brought in Parcells for instance, it was never going to be about Parcells himself but whether his people (i.e. Jeff Ireland, Tony Sparano) and their rosters (i.e. Chad Henne) were right for their respective jobs. The Dolphins hired Parcells merely as a way to pass the buck to him in terms of all the important decisions. The hiring of Parcells therefore can't be seen as a "hit" in and of itself.

I've made the argument that trading a ton of picks and paying big money to a WR isn't really creating value. A successful organization doesn't just find good people who can often be identified through their experience and bought with big investments. A successful organization is able to find good people where others can't. That's how you create value.

Back
Top Bottom