The Truth on David Bowens' Injury | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Truth on David Bowens' Injury

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Heh, looks like some of our suspicions were confirmed. At least mine were.

From PFT......

".......But although our initial reaction to the recent mishap of Miami defensive end Bowens was cynicism, it turns out that he really did tear his ACL while changing a light bulb.

But it was no ordinary climb-turn-turn-descend deal. A league source tells us that Bowens was replacing a bulb mounted on a 30-foot ceiling in his house."

Again, I'd just like to say.....WHAT A DUMBASS!! :yell:

Originally posted by Muck
Heh, looks like some of our suspicions were confirmed. At least mine were.

From PFT......

".......But although our initial reaction to the recent mishap of Miami defensive end Bowens was cynicism, it turns out that he really did tear his ACL while changing a light bulb.

But it was no ordinary climb-turn-turn-descend deal. A league source tells us that Bowens was replacing a bulb mounted on a 30-foot ceiling in his house."

Again, I'd just like to say.....WHAT A DUMBASS!! :yell:

You think he was looking foward to this? Come on lay off the guy.He was doing things that needed to be done in his own house and it was feak accident.At least he wasn't drunk. :lol:

FinsTV showed up invited to his house about a month ago to do an interview with him. 30ft ceiling? Well it didn't look that high on Tv, I guess that was a real dumb-dumb move.

I just feel that it was an unnecessary risk for him to take. Coaches are always reminding players to be careful with their bodies and to protect themselves from unnecessary danger. Climbing up 23 ft on a ladder to change a lightbulb is just not smart. Especially after you just signed a new contract to prove yourself.

I know he's wishing he'd made a different choice now. But it's still frustrating.

Yes it is frustrating. I looked up ACL tears in the Columbia University medical guide. That must have really hurt him falling from that height, plus all that weight. Owww! man that's a serious injury for him to have surgery on it. It says in here that when an area suffers a strain, rest and anti-inflammatory medication are recommended. I don't think he will be ready to play when they said he would.

guys give me a break i guess the players shouldnt handle steak knives either the man needed to change his light bulb had an accident leave it at that, what do you expect his wife to do it. pay some one to change a light bulb yeah right, he doesnt make jason taylor money.
crap happens just be thankful it wasnt worse. peace

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
guys give me a break i guess the players shouldnt handle steak knives either the man needed to change his light bulb had an accident leave it at that, what do you expect his wife to do it. pay some one to change a light bulb yeah right, he doesnt make jason taylor money.
crap happens just be thankful it wasnt worse. peace
Exactly

Originally posted by t2thejz
Exactly

Actually, if in fact it was a 30. ft. ceiling, it was a dumb risk to take. They have retractable tools with suction cups on the end specifically designed for changing out-of-reach light bulbs. A 260 lb. man on a twenty-something ft. ladder is nothing more than recipe for disaster.

Some of you guys kill me. It was an accident. He was changing a light bulb and you are going to dog him for it. Are they supposed to sit on the couch and watch tv during the offseason and not take the risk of huring themselves. It happens. Maybe they should'nt drive. They may get into an accident.

Or play in the Pro Bowl for that matter.

Originally posted by WeVie
Some of you guys kill me. It was an accident. He was changing a light bulb and you are going to dog him for it. Are they supposed to sit on the couch and watch tv during the offseason and not take the risk of huring themselves. It happens. Maybe they should'nt drive. They may get into an accident.

Or play in the Pro Bowl for that matter.

That's what I get out of some of these posts. Football players shouldn't do anything that they could possibly get injured doing. Sit on the couch at home, hire people to do the simplest of tasks for you and don't dare get hurt or you'll be called an idiot.

What was he supposed to do?

HERALD HEADLINE:
"Spolied Miami Lineman calls in expert lightbulb repair company"

Come on... If it was someone like Marino, fine, but as mentioned Bowens isn't making that kind of money where you have a servant 24 hours a day. Who was supposed to do it? His wife?

If he was skydiving or something, fine jump on him, but normal stuff like cutting the grass, driving and changing light bulbs are not that risky to me...

Originally posted by Muck
I just feel that it was an unnecessary risk for him to take. Coaches are always reminding players to be careful with their bodies and to protect themselves from unnecessary danger. Climbing up 23 ft on a ladder to change a lightbulb is just not smart. Especially after you just signed a new contract to prove yourself.

I know he's wishing he'd made a different choice now. But it's still frustrating.

Why didn't you have the same reaction and jump on RWs case for his 30 (?) mile bike ride through busy Maimi streets? As I recall you thought he was cool for doing it and not paing the $100 for a cab. (I did too btw)

To me, that was much more risky then Bowens changing a light bulb and Ricky should be held to an even higher standard b/c his loss would be devistating to us, where Bowens loss hurts, but not near as bad?

Sounds like a double standard?

if the man was playing pick up b. ball or sky diving ,wrestling gators, riding atv's ,watersking, moutain climbing.etc then gripe. but he was performing task of changeing the dreaded blowed bulb. I bet it was a bills fan holding the ladder for him, just what we need a conspiracy.:lol:

A lightbulb on a 30 foot roof. Sorry but one thing thats being lost in this whole mess is that he DID fall and he DID get injured. Any person has to know their own limits. David Bowens should have known whether he was comfortable or not being up 30 feet in the air on a rickety 20 foot ladder (which is VERY stupid, please read Papafin's post) and if he was nervous about it or having trouble YES YOU CALL A PROFESSIONAL.

Tell me, how many multi-millionaires would change the lightbulb themselves on a 30 foot roof? They'd have someone do it for them, hire someone who knows what they are doing. We humans may not have the luxury because we're poor compared to these rich folk, but we also don't have 30 foot ceilings do we.

I'm not saying he's dumb because he's a professional football player and took an unnecessary risk with his body (though it is very tempting), I'm saying its dumb because he's rich and he should have known better than to be up that high if he didn't have experience and wasn't completely comfortable doing it. The fact that he fell and injured himself merely proves that he was exceeding his own bounds.

I really don't see why everyone here is just turning this into a simple "He was only changing a lightbulb!" thing. The activity isn't the issue whatsoever. Its the height and the equipment and the knowhow.

I mean, if Ricky Williams decided to go windex a window....5 stories above ground without proper equipment, I'm sure we'd hear people saying "That was not smart" as opposed to saying "What, the guy can't decide to windex a window????"

Originally posted by Dude

Why didn't you have the same reaction and jump on RWs case for his 30 (?) mile bike ride through busy Maimi streets? As I recall you thought he was cool for doing it and not paing the $100 for a cab. (I did too btw)

To me, that was much more risky then Bowens changing a light bulb and Ricky should be held to an even higher standard b/c his loss would be devistating to us, where Bowens loss hurts, but not near as bad?

Sounds like a double standard?

There's no double standard. I just completely disagree on the element of danger. I don't think that what Ricky did was dangerous at all. People ride bikes and walk on sidewalks all the time. I doubt that Ricky was weaving his way thru traffic on that bike. And there's a greater element of control there.

The only way Ricky injures himself is by crashing the bike (which will likely leave a few minor scrapes or cuts) or if he gets hit by a car (which is very rare and would require the car to jump the curb and come at him). Even still, there are two parties involved.

But being 30 feet in the air on a ladder is VERY dangerous. Especially at 260 lbs. Regular people don't climb 30 feet on a ladder to change lightbulbs. And the element of control is substancially less. The odds of something bad happening are much higher in this case.

Many of you guys are acting like he just got on a little stepstool and changed a dead bulb in a ceiling fan. We're talking 30 FEET!!

30 feet is roughly as high as my two-story apartment building. And I can't imagine falling from up there and ONLY tearing my ACL.

Back
Top Bottom