The Truth on David Bowens' Injury | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Truth on David Bowens' Injury

I guess some of us have a vastly different idea of what is and isn't dangerous if you depend on your body to make the kind of money Bowens does. He's made enough money by now that he ought to be considered a multi-millionaire unless he's spent it all on his posse a la MC Hammer.

In the end, he's injured. He was doing something that is considered dangerous by a good many people, and now he's injured because of it, and its going to cost him lots of dough. And in the end, I guess those facts stand for themselves.

there is things called taxes and morgages etc. i highly doubt bowens is a multi millionair, but thats not the issue, and theres a vast number of people who would consider it not that dangerous, but thats not the issue either imo. the issue is did bowens do something that was wreckless and unnessary imo he did not. yes he got injured but thats life and accidents happen. i bet more people been injured and killed riding bikes, but as we see in post riding bikes is not considered dangerous, or wreckless and i would'nt have that view either. we dont live in a perfect world. and somtimes crap happens but thats just my opinion. peace bro.

I'm picturing Bowens laid-up now after his surgery... bored to tears and just playing with a laptop. He clicks into FinHeaven... comes across this thread... and reads the whole damned thing... all the while knowing... he hurt himself tripping over his dog after a few beers.

ps -- DCH, thanks for lending out the ellipses. IOU, dude.

Changing a light bulb even on a 30' ladder isn't a dumb or dangerous thing to do but jumping off that ladder sure as heck is. And that's what Bowens did when he injuried himself.

Harold Lewis, Bowens' agent, said Friday that his client injured his knee Monday when he jumped off a ladder and came down awkwardly after changing a light bulb in his house.

I realize that we can't design fiberglass cases for each of the miami dolphin's players to keep them safe in the offseason, but, I stay agreeing with Muck with all joking aside. Jumping off a ladder from that height is dangerous and his injury could have been more severe than it was IMO.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
In the end, he's injured. He was doing something that is considered dangerous by a good many people, and now he's injured because of it, and its going to cost him lots of dough. And in the end, I guess those facts stand for themselves.

No considered dangerous by YOU and muck. It is not dangerous at all and anyone who thinks it is simply must not do much in the way of physical work. He didn't injure himself climbing up there. He injured himself jumping off of there.

Seriously have you ever done anything remotely in the same vein to have any experience to talk about such? I don't think you guys even fathom how not so high 30 feet is.

Serious overreacting going on here. Just because he is injured in the end that somehow proves your point? Ok then these guys shouldn't take any medicine, have dogs, drive cars or go out to clubs with that philosophy.

It's simple guys. If the average joe would be expected to do it then so would any athlete.

When his agent said he 'jumped' off the ladder, I assumed he ment he skipped the bottom couple of rungs, not that he jumped from 30'. That would be stupid.

I've been doing my best to just let this thread go. But some of these comments of late (directed at me) are really p*ssing me off, as is the sarcasm.

:lol: Muck don't get too pissed, I wouldn't want to see you get banned....

for doing the same thing as the guy in your sig. Pounding on someone :lol:

Lots of people don't do much in the way of physical work in this world, and lots of people would consider that an unnecessary risk if you have the kind of money that David Bowens has, and especially if you depend on your body being in top physical form as David Bowens does. The point isn't that he's now hurt and therefore it proves my point. The point is that he's hurt doing something a lot of people deem an unnecessary risk AND he's going to lose a lot of money because of it now. If he just got hurt riding his bike or driving his car a lot of people wouldn't deem that an unnecessary risk. But going up 30 feet on a ladder at 260 lbs, I would consider an unnecessary risk.

I currently weigh between 240 and 250, I wrestled in high school, I played football in high school, and I've done every manner of physical labor imaginable INCLUDING carrying 100 lbs windows up 24 foot ladders to install on the 2nd story of houses. So don't toss accusations out at me of not ever having done anything physical. Thats unnecessary of you and if it weren't for the fact that I've known you a while and get along with you fine, I'd be quite p!ssed at you right now for the insult.

Yeah I'm pretty much feelin about the same as you Muck. We were both born into construction families and have probably done crap the people tossing these insults would never dream of doing and yet we're sissified lilypads that lay up in bed all day and pay people do bathe us.

Originally posted by Prime Time
:lol: Muck don't get too pissed, I wouldn't want to see you get banned....

for doing the same thing as the guy in your sig. Pounding on someone :lol:

Nah, it's cool. I would never do anything to get myself in trouble. I don't stay mad at anything for very long. :)

First time reading the thread here just because it wouldn't die :lol:.

I've seen some here rant on about how this was NOT a stupid move because he is doing something around his house.

Contrary to that opinion:

I've got a 24 foot ceiling in my hallway. Last year I took to repainting that hallway. I used all of the proper scaffolding to do so but each time as I ventured up to that height I considered what I was risking to do this minimal task versus what it would cost to pay a PROFESSIONAL to do it.

Consider this:

My family falls within 75,000 to 100,000 in total income with the majority of it provided by me. To paint these 20 plus foot walls I am putting at risk that income as I do my work on my feet with no option of "temporary alternate work" to make the bills. Fortunately I do have an insurance policy that will pay me for up to two years at a 66% rate of my actual pay. After two years it's on to disability from Social Security.

Let me just tell you this about reconsidering what I had undertaken in painting that high in the air with nothing but hardwood floor and stair railing below. I'd never do it again. It's stupid to put at risk the income to feed, cloth, and house two kids and a wife just to do something because you can do it.

Now considering what I have experienced working with that height, how much is his salary again ?

Sure, if you're 19 with a job at the local Captain D's and have the ability to move back in to Mom's house when you break your leg-go ahead, change that light bulb. But if you have the opportunity to make millions of dollars for a short period of time in your life based on your bodies ability, pay the local Captain D's employee to do it on his off time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck

Nah, it's cool. I would never do anything to get myself in trouble. I don't stay mad at anything for very long. :)

So are you saying you aren't mad at Ray Lucas or Cris Carter for blowing our season last year? :tongue:

Originally posted by Muck
I've been doing my best to just let this thread go. But some of these comments of late (directed at me) are really p*ssing me off, as is the sarcasm.

Hey man, I was just messing with ya too!

I respect your views and especially the professional way you represent yourself in your posts.

As far as this argument goes, I think everyone here would agree players should not do anything too risky or dangerous, the question is what is or isn't over the line. And as with every subjective opinion, everyone would draw the line in a different spot.

We're all on the same team!

Peace out!

Back
Top Bottom