The Truth on David Bowens' Injury | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Truth on David Bowens' Injury

Nobody thinks that they'll get hgurt climbing a ladder to change a lightbulb. It was an ACCIDENT!!! Those things happen by no one's fault. I have a friend who tore his knee crossing the street in Kendall ( a subburb here in Miami). He misstepped of the curb and POP! there went the knee.

There is no reason why he should have thought twice about changing a lightbulb!

Plus..... his wife was probably nagging him. Blame her!:lol:

It is just a dumb risk, that is why thsese guys have girlfriends and maids so they can do it.

Man I'm not tryin to be flat out rude here but its obvious that some people in here read only what they want to read and disregard the rest. He didn't just grab a step stool and change a lightbulb on his fan, just like Muck said. He grabbed a roofer's ladder and changed a lightbulb 30 feet in the air!

This isn't like some guy crossing the road and mis-stepping the curb and popping his knee. It isn't even close.

Dude, David Bowens is a human being. If you had to change a lightbulb, would you do it? Yes, and I would too. I initially did not believe the story, but if a lightbulb needs to be changed then you gotta do it.

Nobody's saying he's not human. And nobody's saying it wasn't an accident or that he has to be paranoid about everything. We're just saying that a man in his position should have used better judgement. This accident might have just cost him his career in Miami.

Is there some reason why everyone seems pretty willing to go with the lightbulb story? The only thing about it that rings true to me is the way it's kind of silly and embarassing. I don't know for sure, but I'm still thinking it was a game of hoops.

Maybe that's just cuz I've snapped both outer metatarsals playing hoops, -- and only fried my fingertips changing lightbulbs.:couch:

Originally posted by Muck
There's no double standard. I just completely disagree on the element of danger. I don't think that what Ricky did was dangerous at all. People ride bikes and walk on sidewalks all the time. I doubt that Ricky was weaving his way thru traffic on that bike. And there's a greater element of control there.

The only way Ricky injures himself is by crashing the bike (which will likely leave a few minor scrapes or cuts) or if he gets hit by a car (which is very rare and would require the car to jump the curb and come at him). Even still, there are two parties involved.

But being 30 feet in the air on a ladder is VERY dangerous. Especially at 260 lbs. Regular people don't climb 30 feet on a ladder to change lightbulbs. And the element of control is substancially less. The odds of something bad happening are much higher in this case.

Many of you guys are acting like he just got on a little stepstool and changed a dead bulb in a ceiling fan. We're talking 30 FEET!!

30 feet is roughly as high as my two-story apartment building. And I can't imagine falling from up there and ONLY tearing my ACL.

I usually agree with your evaluations Muck, but I think you're being too critical on this one.

I own a security company and our installers are up on 24' commercial ladders all day. And frequently I have to run a tool up to them with 2 of us on there and believe me I am no pro installer or anything. It's not that dangerous.

And I have ridden a bike through this Miami traffic and what you worry about is some other idiot not paying attention on the cell or something and hitting the rider. It happens all the time.

I was going out with this girl a couple of years ago and she cut her self on a knife while doing the dishes that required 5 stitches. If she was a QB (instead of a hateful bitch :D ) she would have missed a few games. Is doing the dishes dangerous?

Accidents happen.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

My family business is Construction. I've been on enough ladders and hot roofs to tell you that an accident is rare. But then again, it was our job. We were getting paid for it. None of us are/were 260 lbs. And we weren't changing lightbulbs. :D

Accidents happen when you least expect them. Accidents 30 feet up in the air should be expected. Thats the difference. Thats why he should have done what any sane person with a load of money and lightbulb 30 feet up in the air would do, call someone to take care of it.

Originally posted by Muck
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

This is America! Everyone has the right to be wrong! Even Muck! :D

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Accidents happen when you least expect them. Accidents 30 feet up in the air should be expected. Thats the difference. Thats why he should have done what any sane person with a load of money and lightbulb 30 feet up in the air would do, call someone to take care of it.

Sure they do but come on. Who in there right mine is going to pay someone $100 bucks or more to change a light bulb. A 24 foot step ladder is not that high anyway. I wonder if he lives in a two story house. If so then he should not walk up and down the stairs because he may miss a step and hurt himself.:rolleyes: :lol:

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Geeze should he just be confined to a sofa and told not to move?

The ceiling itself was 30 feet. So at most he was climbing was 20-23 feet. That's dick all. Christ I am freaked out by heights but I still occasionally got up on ladders to change signs back when I use to work in a grocery store at that height.

Last I checked you see average joes doing higher then that to clean gutters on their houses. Also where in the hell are you going to find a "lightbulb" changer. That's really stupid to pay someone to come change a solitary lightbulb.

It's a freak accident folks. What next. Are you going to tell people not to drive their cars cause they are most likely going to get in a car wreck then something like this. His only stupidity was in jumping off the ladder........but then no story says at what height he jumped off or if the ladder had gotten unstable.

Yeah, you go up that high if someone is paying you to do your job. Thats a big difference. You fall, you get injured, you get workmans comp. He falls down, he gets injured, and he's not going to see a dime from the Dolphins as a result because its a non-football related injury. His tenure as a Dolphins might be over now because of this, and I'd say he doesn't have too many NFL teams left he can latch onto before he ends up in the CFL or somethin.

I've gotten to know quite a few people with money over my time at Georgetown and I can tell you with absolute certainty that 90% of the people with money, if they had a lightbulb, or any kind of work that needs to be done 30 feet up in the air, they're hirin a handyman to come do it. I know I certainly would, especially if my job and my money flow depended on my physical well being.

I just can't fathom how all the people in this thread can't see the difference between a 260 lbs individual climbing up 30 feet in the air on a 24 foot ladder, and like 'driving a car' or 'riding your bike' or doing anything other than sitting on the couch watching tv. Its not like we're saying these guys need to be kept slung up and milk fed like frickin veal here, but just like they need to watch themselves when they decide to have a little fun playing a game of pick-up basketball, or riding a motorcycle, etc, these guys should know whether or not they have any business being up 30 feet in the air on a rickety ladder.

For instance (hypothetical). Olindo Mare the spry little 160 pounder has a lightbulb go out 30 feet up in the air, but seeing as how he's always been good at climbing and that kind of stuff, he scrabbles up a 24 foot ladder like a cat, changes the bulb, and pops back down on two legs resilient as a wet snake.

Then, huge 260 to 270 lbs lug defensive lineman David Bowens notices that he's got a bulb blow out 30 feet up in the air. He's not too comfortable with heights, but he'll be damned if he's gonna pay someone 20 bucks to do it for him. He lumbers up the rickety ladder as it creaks with the strain of his weight with each step...finally making it to the top...trying to steady himself as the ladder is shaking with the weight and uncertainty of his decidedly UNspry-like body...he changes the bulb but loses his balance on the way down...he's falling, he's falling, he manages to get his feet below him to make a gymnast's landing but the only problem is his feet and legs stop moving but his 260 pound frame keeps heading toward the floor snapping his ACL while his knee buckles right under him.

The guy ended up falling and getting injured. This only helps prove our point that he had no business being up there. I don't know that you can know what it is like to be 260 lbs unless you've actually been 260 lbs or so. I have been in the past, and I'm still fairly close to it now, and I know damn well I'm not gettin up on any ladder that high unless I dont have a damn choice and I use to have to do that kinda crap for a living when I was a window installer.

Football players know not to take unnecessary risks. I mean, I play pickup basketball all the time and a lot of players won't do it for fear of injury. Remember when Kenny Mixon wrecked himself on his motorcycle and had bad burns and missed a lot of training camp? Jimmy was p!ssed and gave Rich Owens all the playing time during the season. A lot of players wont ride motorcycles.

wow 260 to large to be on a ladder give me a break. multi millionair when did bowens become a multi millionair? you guys are getting way over board with your logic, climbing up a ladder be it a step ladder or 25ft ladder is not a major task. i clean my gutters and paint my trim all the time it's not my job but i do it , i make a good living but im not gonna throw money away to do something so easy. and what do ya know i have a 3 story house. just because he's a football player makes no differance i have to use my body for work the same as he does.

dont worry training camp just around the corner. and you'll have something else to talk about and ease your troubled mind on whether a man is able to climb a ladder or not.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom