The Truth on David Bowens' Injury | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Truth on David Bowens' Injury

O.K., I was going to let the thread go too, but I am bothered by something said by Van. Have I done something remotely close? The answer is yes. I use to bull roofs when I was 17 yrs. old and one day I was on a 1 story roof, that's it, and I wasn't paying attention and I slipped off the edge and fell onto some bushes. It was the only thing that stopped me from snapping my neck! Aftermath? Two cracked ribs and a sprained shoulder. Point? I should have been more careful and paid more attention to what I was doing, because it was dangerous to begin with. That's all we were saying in the first place.

I thought this was an obvious issue, until I read this thread. Let me tell you all, as a football player, I would NEVER climb up 30 feet to change a lighbulb. Especially not something you can give a guy 20 bucks to do for you .That isn't because I'm lazy (I grew up helping my dad plumb new houses), but it was because there is a risk, even if its minimal, that I'd get injured and lose my scholarship. He had no business being up there, especially on a 30 foot ladder at 260 pounds. The physics of it alone should be enough to sway anyone from doing it......

I understand Muck's frustration here. Minus dude, I know there's a lot of posts but please read them all before posting your newest reply. I don't think you did read them all because if you did you would understand why Muck was p!ssed and cranky at your reply. The whole "Do you expect football players to not have a life" point has been said over and over and over and over again in this thread, and most especially the "Well I guess he shouldn't even DRIVE should he" point has been said like a dozen times in this thread...and its been rebutted just about each time.

We're not saying he shouldn't have a life, and we're definitely not saying he shouldn't drive or ride a bike or whatever. I've made it QUITE clear with my own posts that this is simply an issue of where people draw the line. We all think players need to watch themselves and avoid risks to their body, we just seem to draw the line in different places is all. Muck and I and Bazinet and Marcusreal and 1972Dolfan and a bunch of others just draw the line at having a 260 pounder lumber up a 24 foot ladder just because there's a burnt out bulb up there. We've made it QUITE clear that no we don't feel that driving is an unnecessary risk, no we dont even feel Ricky riding his bike 30 miles through Miami traffic is bad.

Thats something YOU (and some others) continually try to project onto us. So stop. Actually read our points before spewing out more garbage.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Muck damnit do ya have anymore pictures of Avril!!!!

CK, you need to check your PM box more often. Or at least update your email on file. ;)

I'm not going to judge the guy myself, I meen look you guys, I need my body to function in my job too, I need to be physically capable of doing my job. I don't make a butt load of money like Bowens does, and yes if I tore my ACL I'd be out of work for awile. But like alot of people Bowens probably didn't think twice about it, he's probably done it quite a few times before with no problem and just assumed he'd do it again.
I think because he's a football player making alot of money (by my standards) people think he should take extra precautions to keep himself from getting injured, well guess what? We all should be extra careful when doing things of that nature but David Bowens isn't any more important in this world than you or I am. He plays a game for a living, a GAME. He's gifted he's lucky and he's no more important in Gods eyes than you or I.
So for the posters that think all he was doing was changing a light bulb, it was more than that it was a little more dangerous than that.
And for the people who think he shouldn't have done it, what makes you think he hasn't done it before? And that it wasn't just a routine task that went bad?

Sorry people but there are alot of people that need there bodies at full strength in order to work. And to say that Bowens is special because he plays a game is ridiculous.
I climbed up on a ladder yesturday to put a 2' piece of soffit back on my house that blew off, I was 16' off the ground, it took me all of 3 minutes to do. I didn't give it much thought but if I fell I could have been out of work for awhile, but it was something that had to be done and I wasn't going to be some sally and call a contractor or handyman to do what it took me 3 minutes to do. I don't care how much money I made.
Now I know that someone will bring up the whole Fins investment issue and you're right they invested alot of time and money into him, but in that same respect so has mine, in training and in school. So i'm not gonna buy that excuse either.

Originally posted by Prime Time
:lol: Muck don't get too pissed, I wouldn't want to see you get banned....

for doing the same thing as the guy in your sig. Pounding on someone :lol:

He's not pounding on someone, that's from Office Space and he's pounding on the copier they stole.

I didn't bother to read whole thread but both sides of the argument have made good points.I think we can all agree one thing :

For David Bowens rehab goes well...

Nice way to end this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has nothing to do with how important David Bowens is in the grand scheme of things. Our point is simple. He just got a new contract with the Phins where he could make a lot of money if he played well. Getting injured outside of the job screws him probably more than a normal person because now he's on the non-football related injury list which I believe means he doesnt get paid, or at least doesnt get paid the same amount. Its also seriously damaged his future with the team, because an up-and-comer like Lamanzer Williams is going to have a shot now.

Personally I don't feel 16 feet is the same as 30 feet. I've been up at both heights and had to carry 100 pound windows up both heights, but thats just my personal feeling on that and I weigh almost what Bowens weighs. It is entirely possible that he's done it before and its just a menial chore for him, but if thats true I do question his getting familiar with being up that high in his everyday life when he's got so much money on the line depending on his body being in top physical form...and when I say that I mean even other stuff like sprained ankles, broken leg, etc...any injury that prevents him from playing the game of football which is to say, a lot of injuries that wouldn't necessarily prevent the normal guy from goin into the office or somethin.

This isn't about anger from us because we were depending on Bowens. This is about feeling that Bowens was not acting with a whole lot of intelligence when he decided to get up in the air 30 feet just to change a burnt out bulb...and was acting with even less intelligence when he decided to jump off the ladder.

I'm sure when Muck created the thread he thought opinion would be very uniform on the issue, but even with people disagreeing its pretty much an even split...yet people insist on trying to me and Muck what we're thinking...and that is what is p!ssing us off. Don't try to tell me where I'm drawing the line. I know damn well where I'm drawing the line and don't need someone else to tell me whats going on in my own head.

There's no double standard. I just completely disagree on the element of danger. I don't think that what Ricky did was dangerous at all. People ride bikes and walk on sidewalks all the time. I doubt that Ricky was weaving his way thru traffic on that bike. And there's a greater element of control there.

Actually, chances are that most if not all of his ride was on the street. It is ILLEGAL (yes, police given tickets) to ride a bike on the sidewalk. I know for a FACT that that is true in Bal Harbor which would have been one of the stretches he had to ride thru to get to his house from south beach. So actually ricky made a stupider and riskier move but Bowens is getting a storm of Shht because he decided to change out a light bulb.

I'm sorry but to all who are saying "hes a millionaire he shouldnt be changing lightbulbs."

Last time i checked D Bowens wasnt one of the highly paid players on the team so why should he live like he's worth millions when in reality maybe he has a mil in the bank and if i were him, i would have been up on that ladder too. Some of you guys gotta understand that just cause u play football for a living, doesnt mean the rest of your life stops. They still have to drive around and take care of chores etc, just like we do.

Originally posted by Phinstd
He's not pounding on someone, that's from Office Space and he's pounding on the copier they stole.

Nah man, it's really me. I'm a big dork named Michael Bolton who acts all gansta in my car when nobody's looking. :tongue:

Also, PT didn't say it was me. :)

You guys gotta relize that everything you do in life is a risk. Just walking to your mailbox to get mail is a risk.

How many Dolphins does it take to screw in a lightbulb 30 feet up in the air?

1 to change it and get injured

2 to carry him off

1 to replace him in the lineup

and 70 fans to debate on whether or not he should have been changing a lightbulb 30 feet high in the air.

Ugh, lets pronounce this thread dead already.

CK, Muck...

I've seen lots of incidents where people people have choked to death cuz they didn't chew meat sufficiently before swallowing. But I REFUSE to accept the contention you guys are putting forward that the players should be vegetarians.

I'm just not buying it.

:goof:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
This has nothing to do with how important David Bowens is in the grand scheme of things. Our point is simple. He just got a new contract with the Phins where he could make a lot of money if he played well. Getting injured outside of the job screws him probably more than a normal person because now he's on the non-football related injury list which I believe means he doesnt get paid, or at least doesnt get paid the same amount. Its also seriously damaged his future with the team, because an up-and-comer like Lamanzer Williams is going to have a shot now.

Personally I don't feel 16 feet is the same as 30 feet. I've been up at both heights and had to carry 100 pound windows up both heights, but thats just my personal feeling on that and I weigh almost what Bowens weighs. It is entirely possible that he's done it before and its just a menial chore for him, but if thats true I do question his getting familiar with being up that high in his everyday life when he's got so much money on the line depending on his body being in top physical form...and when I say that I mean even other stuff like sprained ankles, broken leg, etc...any injury that prevents him from playing the game of football which is to say, a lot of injuries that wouldn't necessarily prevent the normal guy from goin into the office or somethin.

This isn't about anger from us because we were depending on Bowens. This is about feeling that Bowens was not acting with a whole lot of intelligence when he decided to get up in the air 30 feet just to change a burnt out bulb...and was acting with even less intelligence when he decided to jump off the ladder.

I'm sure when Muck created the thread he thought opinion would be very uniform on the issue, but even with people disagreeing its pretty much an even split...yet people insist on trying to me and Muck what we're thinking...and that is what is p!ssing us off. Don't try to tell me where I'm drawing the line. I know damn well where I'm drawing the line and don't need someone else to tell me whats going on in my own head.
Well why don’t you go down to the emergency room at the local hospital and tell all the people that YOU deemed as taking an unnecessary risk that they’re unintelligent?

Now if you read my post you'd know that I took into account that everyone should be cautious of their surroundings especially people that do physical labor in their work place, and that an injury such as a broken leg or sprained ankle would prevent them from working. There is no difference between Bowens and anyone else who uses their body or physical well being to provide for themselves and family. I don't CARE if he just signed a new contract or not.

So it's ok for John Doe to climb a 30-ft ladder and get injured at home and miss work and money, but God forbid a pro football player does it, that would make him STUPID. We wouldn't want him to lose out on his million dollar contract now would we, how would he feed his family?
That's as lame as Barry Bonds saying he needed a bigger contract so he could pay child support.
Would a truck driver have been as unintelligent if he did the same thing? Or a mill worker? How about a surgeon? What about the guy that you wanted Bowens to hire to change the bulb? Is he unintelligent for doing it? If he falls he’s only out $30 right? Oh wait how would he change the other pro athlete’s light bulbs if he got injured. I see it’s ok for a guy who make 30,000 dollars a year to take the risk and injure himself because he’s only out 10 or 15 thousand dollars, but not a pro athlete because he could be out millions right?

Trust me CK I'm not trying to "climb in your head" and tell you where to draw the line. I'm saying there is no line.

You say that he shouldn't be put in a bubble, but yet you say because he's a pro football player with a new contract he shouldn't take any unnecessary risks. Define unnecessary risk? Maybe he didn’t feel it was an unnecessary risk, he could’ve felt very comfortable doing it. Maybe working around his house is his hobby. Maybe he’s a decent carpenter.
Accidents happen that’s why they are called accidents. You can break your leg slipping off of a 3ft step stool or twist your knee tripping over your kids toys.
As far as falling from 16’ or 30 ft goes, I’m 6’2 255 and the concrete driveway under me wouldn’t have cared how high I was when I hit it. But I felt comfortable doing it, if I fell and got hurt and missed work does that make me unintelligent, I could of hired a handyman to do it but why when I can do it. If I fell and got hurt does it then become an unnecessary risk? No.
Did he make a bad call? I don't know because I don't know how capable he is at changing a light bulb that's 30ft in the air, only he knows. This could’ve been one time out of 20 that this happened.
I’m not one to tell someone what they should or shouldn’t do on their own time because of the money involved. If Ricky Williams or Jason Taylor wants to skydive, hey go for it, if their chute fails to open and they splatter on the ground then oh well, they were living their lives the way THEY wanted to not the way you want them to.

So how about Tillman? He left the Cards and a nice contract to join the Army, is he unintelligent?
Or is the question, who are you to judge?

Back
Top Bottom