The Worst I've Ever Seen The Forum | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Worst I've Ever Seen The Forum

In the IT Security field we call it denial of service (DoS). More people hitting the site with requests than the site's connections can handle. Sometimes bad guys do it intentionally by setting up several machines to pound and pound a website with requests so no one else can get to it.

As you have seen, it can be a very effective technique.

Bad guys must come back and hit us year after year... just during the draft and sometimes on game day threads

Just curious I never had such a lag problem as I did last night. Been considering joining the VIP, was curious if it was just the forum all together. Or if the VIP forum was better last night. Never experienced a delay like last night, was very disappointed was so excited about not being able to read posts from all the quality posters. I don't post a lot but I do spend probably 3 hours a day minimum reading through the forum.

I believe the forum runs at a loss and is supported by the kindness of our owner and admins. There just isn't the funds for the top tier tech and unlimited data bandwidth needed to keep everything running flawlessly on nights like last night. And even if the biggest websites feel the strain on their biggest days of the year. Look how many absurdly expensive sites collapse on black Friday.

All donations, ad revenue etc goes towards meeting the costs to keep FH running and to improve services on big nights like the draft. So everyone who doesn't run adblock on FH or who donates a few $ really does makes a difference

It happens, sometimes during big games or the draft at the time Miami;s selecting. I figured it was due to a rare high volume usage during those times. During the draft all the Dolphin fans gather at the same time. For me the entire site was slow... I tried the VIP area and the draft fourm and both were just as slow during the problem time. That's why I assumed it was due to high usage and not loading the ads.

Last edited:
I would imagine that if you aren't VIP and you have the ads still trying to load it made it worse than it would be. There was some lag last night bc all the people on it at once but i've never really seen it like that before and I'm here regularly.

Pony up the $20 and support the site.....and remove the ads. It's worth it :thumbsup

I'm sure Our Boys at Finheaven are doing the best that they can. It's obvious to me (even with the Draft approaching days before), that the Site would be simply overrun with hits from everyone. I appreciate all that they do, to keep us informed with the Fins......Draft and otherwise. Thanks Fellas!!! And my Brethren FinBrothers!!!

I've been here for 10 years so it's usually like that on draft day, but it's understandable because they get a lot of traffic. There's a lot of Dolphin fans even though we haven't been great in a long time.

Hopefully, tonight won't be as bad as last night but what I don't get is how many other fan sites had no issues.....and, despite some here suggesting to donate for better performance, all of those other sites are free and had a lot of logins active with people posting fast & furious with no hiccups.

Cool, then go to another site.

I know a site that has 40,000 members and never lags like this one. I will not donate until it's fixed. Its also this way on game day.

Ive thought for awhile this place should ditch the “pay to get vip access” thing. Just charge $5 for a four month membership, and include all your vip stuff in the membership. If you have to pay to even have an account it will 1) bring in more revenue than begging people to join VIP will. 2) consistent revenue as accounts must renew every four months. 3) weed out trolls

Well when we all try to visit the site at the same time we create a bottle neck and essentially ddos Finheaven lol ....the servers are not strong enough to direct all the traffic

You guys would have lost your will to live the day we traded for Ricky.

Back
Top Bottom