This Elam kid.... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Elam kid....

It seems like so many people in society are willing to turn their heads. Sports owners, the media, Hollywood and some fans all seem more interested promoting someone who is physically talented just to be entertained, no matter what the player's character-or lack there of may be.

This is sad. No wonder our kids have so few positive role models. Talent is promoted and character means absolutely nothing anymore.

ty15 said:
Please give Abram Elam a chance. I was not there that night, so I don't know what happened, but I've followed the case very closely since it started. And from everything I've heard from people who know him, he is a very nice, polite young man who just made a mistake. His dorm even wrote a petition vouching for his character trying to get him to be allowed to stay in school. And these weren't other athletes; these were normal college kids from all over the country.

Abram wasn't convicted of rape. In fact, if he hadn't been tried first, I think he would have been acquitted of everything. Basically he was convicted of watching a rape that, according to a court of law, never took place. The 3 men who did have sex were either acquitted or had charges dropped against them. This was because her story had so many holes in it.

After being "raped", she went downstairs, got a drink, went back upstairs, took off her jeans, and slept the rest of the night with one of her supposed attackers. She admitted this herself.

She did not report the "attack" until it was too late for any medical tests to be done.

She said herself that before she was "attacked" she was allowed to go to the bathroom. She removed her tampon she said because her period was over. Yet, the only blood found in the investigation was menstrual blood so apparently her period wasn't over.

Yes, he did fondle her and that was wrong. But, the main reason that the woman didn't allow Abram to do anything was because he had a girlfriend. If not, she probably wouldn't have cared. If Notre Dame had believed that the acts were consesual, she would have been expelled as well. As long as she said it was an attack, there was no way they were expelling her.

What all 5 people did was wrong; the woman needs to quit trying to destroy the 4 mens lives. They have paid for their sin enough. She needs to realize that she has made a mistake too. Surely, the experience has left her with bad memories; that's why sex isn't a game. However, she shouldn't continue to try to destroy their lives.

Abram knows that he made a mistake of even being in the situation. What he did was morally wrong. And he has paid; he is forever a convicted sex offender, he lost a Notre Dame education and career, he has to live with what he did forever, and public opinion is forever turned against him. NO WHERE was he sentenced to never play football again. I'm glad he has continued to move on with his life, continued his education, and worked to make something positive of everything that happened. Hopefully, with a little support, he will be able to continue to do positive things with his life (whether with the Dolphins or not). I'm glad he got another chance first at Kent St. and now with the Dolphins. I wish him the best.

As you said you weren't there. You may have followed the case closely, but do you think you saw and heard as much about the case as the jury? 7 men, 5 women. They were ordinary citizens, like you or me. Probably a few not as smart, but a few smarter than most of us on this board. They found Elam guilty of sexual battery, and unless somebody shows me a video tape of the entire night's proceedings, I gotta go with their decision

ch19079 said:
"sexual assalt" is a serious crime, even if the case had HUGE holes in it.

but teams have "overlooked" things for players with skills. just look at the Ravens. a murder trial, and now a CONVICTION of traficing cocaine. :shakeno:

i know most people hope there team is not like that.

it seems like its worse to say, the QB of your team got tired in the final min. of a game, than it is to trafic coke. :shakeno:

That is what is so wrong about professional sports. Character has no meaning anymore. Even sadder is that fans will support the team taking on felons as long as the individual has skills, however, if the same guy had come to apply for an important position in THEIR company, I bet they wouldn't be so accepting.

I agree that people make mistakes, but in the world outside of pro-sports and hollywood, people face real consequences for their actions. Most face a long and difficult road of slowly regaining trust and respect, and that's exactly how it should be. In pro-sports, you have to miss a couple of practices/games, and at the end of the year, you can still be the league MVP and land millions of dollars in endorsements :shakeno:

Disagree all you want, but the Dolphins look like they are trying their hardest to wrestle the "Most Thugs on the Roster" award from Baltimore :fire: :fire: :fire:

MelbournePhin said:
Jesus is Lord

does that belong on the board?

What does a couple of obscure words in his sig have to do with whether or not Elam should have been signed with the Dolphins :shakeno:

volk said:
What does a couple of obscure words in his sig have to do with whether or not Elam should have been signed with the Dolphins :shakeno:

i meant in general. does it belong on the board?

give Elam another chance I can't beleive you guys can forgive Ricky so fast but you can't forgive a guy who made a mistake which had nothing to do with this team

miamirick said:
For the most part, I am on board with just about everything that Saban has done thus far...but here is something that I feel the need to speak up about...

Although this kid, Abram Elam, the one with the "checkered past" to say the least, probably is a huge long shot to make the team and most likely won't even make a dent in the roster...I take issue with even looking at the guy...I have to say that it really is disgusting how far teams will go to look for so called talent.

He was one of four charged with sexually assaulting a female and the ONLY one convicted of FELONY SEXUAL BATTERY. When is enough enough? Is a murder conviction enough? Maybe child molestation?

Some will say that he has paid his debt to society, yada-yada-yada...but is this really the type of person that the Dolphins want on their team? Maybe this guy does have what it takes...I guess that will make it OK to cheer for a freaking sexual offender. In my opinion...it isn't.

From a fan's point of view...it has been proven time and time again that people with these types of troubled pasts eventually find their way back to trouble....remember the guy who once wore 34 before Ricky came along?

Like I said, the guy probably won't be around very long, but I really don't think that he even deserves the right to even wear a Miami Dolphin's practice jersey.

Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree with you. All he is doing is drawing unwanted attention to the team. The odds of him even making the practice squad are remote. Seems to make no sense as to why Nick brought him in.

It's unfurtunate for this lady...

miamirick said:
For the most part, I am on board with just about everything that Saban has done thus far...but here is something that I feel the need to speak up about...

Although this kid, Abram Elam, the one with the "checkered past" to say the least, probably is a huge long shot to make the team and most likely won't even make a dent in the roster...I take issue with even looking at the guy...I have to say that it really is disgusting how far teams will go to look for so called talent.

He was one of four charged with sexually assaulting a female and the ONLY one convicted of FELONY SEXUAL BATTERY. When is enough enough? Is a murder conviction enough? Maybe child molestation?

Some will say that he has paid his debt to society, yada-yada-yada...but is this really the type of person that the Dolphins want on their team? Maybe this guy does have what it takes...I guess that will make it OK to cheer for a freaking sexual offender. In my opinion...it isn't.

From a fan's point of view...it has been proven time and time again that people with these types of troubled pasts eventually find their way back to trouble....remember the guy who once wore 34 before Ricky came along?

Like I said, the guy probably won't be around very long, but I really don't think that he even deserves the right to even wear a Miami Dolphin's practice jersey.

Just my 2 cents.

Having a daughter, a mother, and several sisters I know I wouldn't personally want to see this guy glorified in any light.... but wait that's my perosnal bias.

We don't know the details of his case or the circumstances, we also don't know the degree of the assault. Don't get me wrong assult is assult it assult.

however there's a serial rapist, or a striaght up rapist whom it isn't about sex, it's about power. Then you have serial sex offenders and/ or a sex offender, whom the later probably made a bad descison under the influence of alcohol or drugs at a party and didn't stop when "NO" was said.

Does that make him less innocent, of course not, but does this person deserve to punished for his entire life, and not allowed to make a decent living for himself, because of something he did while they he was a teen?

I'm not so sure.

Someone brought up a good point about rehablitation and our system, which is an entirely different topic within itself.

The point I'm making is, I don't know the details of this case, however from the sound of it, it seems like the stereotypical, college party-athlete-date rape scenario, which by no means minimizes the act, but does seem susggest that this was a one time incident of extremely poor judgement as opposed to the aforementioned serial offenders or even the one time malicous rapist.

FiN.in.RI said:
Convicted of MURDER? No.

I can't stand convicted Wife beaters, sex offenders or chile abusers.. I don't care who they are I owuld never be a fan of theirs.

You're not a fan of McMicheal????
:eek:

MelbournePhin said:
Jesus is Lord

does that belong on the board?

For those that believe in him, it's prefectly sane...so of course if you're on the board, so can he be on the board.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
McMichael was not convicted of anything

But he had a incident involving possibly hitting his wife, she didn't press charges and would cooperate with the courts...but it happened. Are you still a fan of his?

MDFINFAN said:
But he had a incident involving possibly hitting his wife, she didn't press charges and would cooperate with the courts...but it happened. Are you still a fan of his?

if he hit her the state would of pressed charges

Back
Top Bottom