This Franchise has done nothing and the hiring of marino means nothing. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Franchise has done nothing and the hiring of marino means nothing.

Ok dude. Two questions for you.

1) Who would you have hired of the avaialbe coaches; and

2) What GM would you have hired.

For each candidate, please explain why you believe they would be an upgrade.

[Edited to include the following:] Is the point of running an NFL franchise to gratify disgruntled fans by punishing individuals they perceive as underachieving, or is the point of this is to improve team performance? If it is the latter, then the two questions above are the only ones that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I totally support what Wayne is doing, if I'd had my way, I would've hired a different coach, 4 years ago however. Can't remember which head coach it was that was available back then, but I was pretty pi$$ed when they went with Wanny and not the other guy. Since he's been here 4 years and knows the organization, I don't mind seeing him get another year without the added responsibilities to see if he can truly coach. Hope he can.

Spielman's good for GM. As long as he doesn't show himself to be a punk and let Wanny walk on him, he's just fine in my book.

Actually NavyFish, the question was directed to the originator of the the thread. I hear you, but the question stands, who is available in January 2004 that is an upgrade over Dave or Rick?

I'd still go with Spielman....even over Savage. I mean who COULDN'T see that Jamal Lewis was gonna rock? Don't take a rocket scientist. I think Savage may be leaned toward defense players and we need O.

Head coach? Pretty tough call, but I wouldn't have minded waiting around a bit for the NE O-coord. Recent Super Bowl trips (possibly another) speaks well of anybody.

Ok. Legitimate response on Coach. Myself, and I'm uninformed, but I've seen too many coordinators take the step up and crash (e.g., Marchibroda, Norv, blah, blah). It's a gamble. That's just my take. You don't fire a coach with 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, 10-6 to hire a coordinator as HC.

Re: Re: This Franchise has done nothing and the hiring of marino means nothing.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

worst post ever.

wannstedt is a good coach. he can't pick personel.

Way too harsh. And, while Wannstedt may be an average coach you are wrong about his being a "good coach" - He certainly is not a SB calibre coach. He has several flaws.

1) His teams have repeatedly made serious mental errors in big games and at crucial times. That's coaching. If you have the respect of the players (ala Parcells), they are not going to make those mistakes. You can get burned physically, but mentally? That's more on the coaches shoulders.

2) His defensive schemes are out-dated. As one Patriots player said of them this past year, "their basic." They don't do anything to fool anyone. If you look at his schemes compared to the Pats or the Eagles - there is no comparison. The blitzes Miami offers are PITIFUL! That's the Nicest thing you can say about them!

3) His leadership skills at getting players ready on a consistent basis to play their best are not good. Even players have complained to media that he is not much of a motivator. Those things count. You either have to motivate by coming up with schemes that the players know will work (ala Belichick), or out of respect and fear (ala Parcells, Shula), or by instilling a fire within each player - perhaps a combination of all three. Dave has none of those.

Dave coached a team in Dallas that had talent out the wazoo! That team was SO talented, even Barry Switzer, Dave Campo and company were able to coach them and win a SB!

But, to take the talent that Dallas has THIS year or the talent that the Pats have - THAT'S good coaching! Dave has had, what, 9 years as a head coach? And, he's proven nothing with that.

Originally posted by Muck
Marino wasn't brought in to make an impact this year. Kinda like a rookie QB. He's supposed to sit back behind the starters and learn for a year or two.

I see Marino as a big big influence. imagine if you will, a free agent is thinking about becoming a dolphin, or a rookie is drafted or even undrafted thinking about playing for a team. this is where Dan comes in if you ask me. Dan mariono walks into the room when signing a big contract and Dan shakes your hand and says "welcome". that would just about make anyone happier than a pig in mud.

BTW, the ultimate answer is there was no one available that was a clear upgrade over what we had. You can argue Green, or Fassel at best, but Green has demonstrated he's no better than wanny and will get you a consistent 11 win season. Same as we have. Fassel did the SB in a weak NFC, and his team quit on him this year mid-way through the season.

Quit side stepping the questions folks. Those are the ultimate ones that have to be answered if you're going to make a change at HC and GM.

[Edited to include the following:] BTW, if SOMEONE comes available, you can always fire the HC or GM, but as of January 2004, who is available that is a clear upgrade over what we have?

Originally posted by Agua
Ok. Legitimate response on Coach. Myself, and I'm uninformed, but I've seen too many coordinators take the step up and crash (e.g., Marchibroda, Norv, blah, blah). It's a gamble. That's just my take. You don't fire a coach with 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, 10-6 to hire a coordinator as HC.

I agree agua, although i do feel that coaching has been the missing link in key games. i feel for those wanting a big change. But i also see the big picture and i think the best move as far as coach goes would have been get Nick Saben. I believe Nick Saben will be teh future coach of the dolphins, but now was not the right time. Anyone else would have gotten us the same results IMO. the main thing for me was getting Spielman to be GM. I think the tweaking in power will make a big diff. Bottom line for me.
I will not buy the line that this team did nothing. This offseason will tell just what Spilemans plan is all about. the little things may tell you more. Getting a QB that everyone will get excited about is the key.

Ok dude. Two questions for you.

1) Who would you have hired of the avaialbe coaches; and

2) What GM would you have hired.

For each candidate, please explain why you believe they would be an upgrade.

[Edited to include the following:] Is the point of running an NFL franchise to gratify disgruntled fans by punishing individuals they perceive as underachieving, or is the point of this is to improve team performance? If it is the latter, then the two questions above are the only ones that matter.

I'll take this up, though it wasn't addressed to me:

1) There are several candidates I would put up: Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Dennis Green, Tom Coughlin. I think any of these would do equal or better than Dave.
* Crennel and Weiss bring better schemes & systems than Dave. Crennel has done much more with less talent.
* Green is equal to or better as a coach in his career, would let someone coach the talented D (something he NEVER had at Minn) and would revitalize the offense.
* Coughlin would bring some no-nonsense toughness to the team that would help them deal with those late season, cold weather games.

2) Spielman would still be on the radar. But, Ted Thompson would have been one of my top choices. Not only has he been successful, but we would have had a MUCH better shot at Wolf working with the team as a consultant.

3) On the point of running an NFL franchise, you are partially right, partially wrong:

a) From a football perspective, the point is to win the SB. Which, in case you haven't noticed, we haven't come within a sniff of in the past 10 years.

b) From an overall perspective, it IS the point of an NFL franchise to satisfy it's fan base! Without the fans, the NFL loses money and teams lose money; a franchise starts losing money and the owner sells it. There is no doubt the apathy level and frustration level of Dolphin fans has increased in recent years with unfulfilled promises. If the team keeps on this path two or three more years - Wayne H. will likely be looking for a buyer.

Quit side stepping the questions folks. Those are the ultimate ones that have to be answered if you're going to make a change at HC and GM.

[Edited to include the following:] BTW, if SOMEONE comes available, you can always fire the HC or GM, but as of January 2004, who is available that is a clear upgrade over what we have?

I agree, which is why I said that since he's been here 4 years, I don't mind seeing another year to see what he can do without the GM burden. I took the question to mean, "who would you replace Wanny with this year?" as if it were certain he would be going. Apologies...mis-read into the question.

Re: Re: This Franchise has done nothing and the hiring of marino means nothing.

Originally posted by Dolphan99

Correct me if I am wrong but Wannstedt has one of the best winning records in the NFL without a big name QB. The others have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady etc. I think this is a good move for the franchise and as with all hiring and firings time will tell.

But, he has done so with a HIGHLY talented Defense - among the top five in the NFL. The nucleus of which (Madison, Surtain, Zach, JT, Bowens, etc.) were here when he began.

And, he hasn't been able to beat anyone of consequence in major games over the years he's been here.

If you are going to look at his "record" without considering the fact that he inherited some good talent, you also have to look at his record at Chicago without any consideration. He was NOT a good coach there and the Bears recognized it.

Tell a Bears fan that they decided to hire Dave as coach and see what happens!

No apologies necessary bro. I probably didn't state my question clearly enough (you obviously thought I meant Portis .... LOLOL). j/k

And your response was reasonable as well, in light of my inarticulate question.

Re: Re: Re: This Franchise has done nothing and the hiring of marino means nothing.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

And, he hasn't been able to beat anyone of consequence in major games over the years he's been here.

Uhmm... What about a couple Oakland games and @ Denver? I dunno. Maybe those were non-consequential games. Seemed pretty big at the time.

Back
Top Bottom