This guy just doesn't get it | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This guy just doesn't get it

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...day-2-0428-20120427,0,702976.column?track=rss

This cover article on the finheaven site states Jake Long is outta here because we drafted Martin. He doesn't even suggest Martin is going to make our OL really good by going to RT but he was drafted to replace Long. No one seems to mention that Long is the perfect size for the WC offense. He is tough but he's not a slow 350. He is tough and agile at 315ish.

Just seems no one in the media wants to give Miami any credit but continually poo poo's all that Miami does. Sickening. I know Long could be gone based on a new contract but IMO he is worth the money because ... if he can stay healthy ... he is the perfect LT for our line along with Pouncy at C and Martin at RT.

I don't think that they could let a franchise left tackle go. These guys come around once a decade. They have to find a way to sign him. Long will hopefully be protecting Tannehill's blind side for years to come.

I thought about that myself. Jake Long is pricing himself out of a job. Long is one of the last of the super costly rookies. That is a dead time for the NFL now and so are the 1st contracts.

J Martin is making 1/5 of what J long makes and Long is not 2-3 times better.

We could draft RT Zebrie Sanders today and I'd trade Jake Long in a second for a early 1st round pick plus. Maybe wait until right before next season's draft.

He has a point. Long's contract expires after this year. Ireland is a stickler for only paying players what he deems is fair. Long's agent will be seeking the largest contract ever for an OL. Martin plays LT. It remains to be seen, but it is a possibility this will be the last season Long is in a Dolphin uniform. Another option is for Miami to franchise tag Long in 2013. That way Miami gets Long for an extra year and in 2013 Long gets paid the average of the top 5 at his position.

He has a point. Long's contract expires after this year. Ireland is a stickler for only paying players what he deems is fair. Long's agent will be seeking the largest contract ever for an OL. Martin plays LT. It remains to be seen, but it is a possibility this will be the last season Long is in a Dolphin uniform. Another option is for Miami to franchise tag Long in 2013. That way Miami gets Long for an extra year and in 2013 Long gets paid the average of the top 5 at his position.

kind of like what mario williams did to the texans?

It's a knee jerk reaction to get more people to view the site, read the newspaper and talk about the article. And guess what, it worked.

Long signed the largest contract ever for an OL when he was drafted.

I think there are a few things with this dilema...

First of all, I don't think we drafted Martin to eventually replace Long. I think the thought process is play him on the right side, however, he is versatile to play the left side if needed be, meaning should Jake Long have to miss games due to injury. Now, that's not to say he wouldn't replace him permanentley. I mean if Long can't get healthy and misses a significant amount of time this coming year (which is a contract year), then I could see Martin replacing Long permanentley only if Long is not willing to lower his asking price or to a reasonable asking price.

Secondly, I think the other problem here is just that, Jake Long's asking price. I'm sure he wants to get paid and he certainly deserves to get paid up until now, but I think our FO is going to wait and see how he pans out this year. However, If I recall correctly, I remember reading an article a few months back indicating that Jake Long didn't want to re-sign with us and wanted to test out the free agent market, whether its true or not, i don't know. But what I do know is that winning changes everything, and if we can get this team turned around and going in the right direction and Jake Long sees that, he may not want to leave and may eventually lower the asking price.

Because when we drafted him we didn't have the rookie wage scale in place like we do today.

Plus, we're an incredibly stupid organization when it comes to player value.

Joe Thomas got 7 years 84 mil after the NFL changed the rookie wage scale. The fins have what, 11 mil in cap room? Then after rookies are signed, and more FA are added after June 1st, I'd wager we only have enough cap to re-sign one player to an extension, and since Wake is a little disgruntled, I'd sign him, then when we have that 30+ mil in cap next year, we can talk to Long about his 7 year 84+mil contract. Which he deserves every penny of, just as Thomas does.

Back
Top Bottom