This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Is How The Dolphins Plan To Tank This Year

Tanking: the losers mentality. The "I-Have-No-Clue-I-Give-Up" mentality crowd.

By all measures we were an 8-8 team last year - with all the ****ty QBing and all the ****ty coaching and our injuries. With our injuries and ****ty coaching but with better QBing we would have been a 9-7 maybe 10-6 team. We had a total of 8 or 9 games of not just mediocre QB play but outright crap **** between Osweiler and Tannehill.
If you put a QB on that team who gives you mediocre play we will win 1/3 of these games. And I am only talking about offense. You give us some better coaching on O and D and the same mediocre roster from last year would make a run for a playoff spot.

Forget about the idiocy of tanking in the first place but our roster is not made to tank for anything. You have to purge offense and defense. Wilson, Grant, Stills, possibly Gore, Drake, Ballage, Amendola (just to name a handful) are not players you tank with. And purging them for a fictional tank will require years to replace. By the time we have another roster which looks decent all our young players come out of age and demand high paying contracts including that coveted 2020 franchise QB. Then what? Dumb them all again?

We already added by subtracting. Bad coaching and bad play calls be gone. QBs gone. Now we added a HC who has never heard of tanking. He comes from an environment of reloading, not rebuilding. Building an NFL roster is not done through tanking. If you are a 1-15 team because you purged your roster of quality players (not just big useless contracts) you are simply a bad team. You will have a roster of which 50% does not cut it. It will take you years to get back to just .500 level.

Building a roster is done through sensible FA pickups, outstanding drafting (which includes superb scouting) and hitting on all cylinders in the late rounds of the draft as well as undrafted FAs and finding talent on other teams trash pile. That's where Flores comes from: "finding players fitting the system"

If you see a QB in a draft you get him. You do everything to get him. Trading up. KC did not suck for Mahomes. They traded. They identified their future QB and despite being 12-4 the year before they traded up from 27 to 10 and got him.

If you purge your roster to tank just to get a QB in the draft you are purging possible talent for that new QB. You leave him exposed with no quality teammates and it will be years to undo that purge.

Maybe I should ask the admins to create a new forum: the "Loser Forum" where we can throw all these garbage post about tanking in.

Tanking is easily done with this defense by playing falk or fales at QB. Its that easy. Don't have to purge anything. I would trade away Jones and Kiko and we are well on our way. This team wont be any better than a 6 or 7 win team at best if we go the high priced free agency route which would be terrible.

You make it seem like it is some elaborate scheme to "tank". Just play **** at QB and you are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanking is easily done with this defense by playing falk or fales at QB. Its that easy. Don't have to purge anything. I would trade away Jones and Kiko and we are well on our way. This team wont be any better than a 6 or 7 win team at best if we go the high priced free agency route which would be terrible.

You make it seem like it is some elaborate scheme to "tank". Just play **** at QB and you are there.

You are assuming that Fales and Falk will have the same amount or more crappy games than the Tannehill/Osweiler combo.

You are assuming that Fales and Falk will have the same amount or more crappy games than the Tannehill/Osweiler combo.

haha i think its a pretty safe assumption since fales has been a third stringer for the past 5 years and falk got traded before he even played in a game in the NFL. But you have a tinfoil hat on when it comes to tanking conspiracies so I will leave it at that.

haha i think its a pretty safe assumption since fales has been a third stringer for the past 5 years and falk got traded before he even played in a game in the NFL. But you have a tinfoil hat on when it comes to tanking conspiracies so I will leave it at that.

This defense is gonna have to go from worst to top ten to get us to 7 wins with either at QB

Is it a safe assumption? You are talking about coaches and a front office who has failed at identifying talent at every level especially at QB.

I think you are the one with a tinfoil hat not me. But whatever floats your boat. Root for the Dolphins to lose if that makes you happy. Won't affect me one way or another.

i dont know that you can call cutting losers like parker, stills,tanny, branch etc tanking as they did nothing but suck.

Is it a safe assumption? You are talking about coaches and a front office who has failed at identifying talent at every level especially at QB.

I think you are the one with a tinfoil hat not me. But whatever floats your boat. Root for the Dolphins to lose if that makes you happy. Won't affect me one way or another.

Ok if you think Fales or Falk are some hidden gems then I will let you have that hope.

They are going to need to get into the top 4 to get a QB next year and number 1 overall to get Tua (if he declares). Herbert, Fromm & Tua. (I keep seeing evaluators calling Fromm a game manager.) Of course this depends on who ends up 1 thru 4 and if they already drafted a QB. Sort of like this year where AZ, SF & NYJ already have one.

So we either need to finish with 3-4 wins or trade up in 2020 from a possible 8-12 pick. That means giving up a 2021 pick which also means bypassing Trevor Lawrence.

That's a pretty tough gamble, IMO.

Of course this could all change depending on what these QB's do this year. Herbert could drop drastically or gain even more value this year. We just never know.

They better be darn sure about the next drafted QB. This is not going to be pretty. I don't think anyone on this staff has been part of drafting a legit franchice QB. Not even Marvin Allen since he left before KC took Mahomes, I think.

Fromm will be the one you have the best shot at seeing outside the top 5.

I could easily see tua especially but Fromm also pulling an Andrew luck and staying in school

Last edited:
Ok if you think Fales or Falk are some hidden gems then I will let you have that hope.
I didn't say that either. You are the one assuming a correct talent evaluation by Dolphins coaches and FOs who failed in that department.

I leave the evaluation of both up to Flores and Co.

yep play Fales or falk or rudock easiest way to tank without trying to

i dont know about falk but fales isnt going to around next year.

Sounds like we’re going to have an open mind with this years QB crop.

Thankfully.

Tanking won't be easy and is no sure thing. After the Jets purged their roster in 2017 and rolled with nobody they were supposed to be the worst team of all time. Then McCowen started to play decent for once and ruined everything. They still got Darnold but had to trade up to get him, and Mayfield looks a hell of a lot better to me
Some tend to throw 'elite' around. I'll not give my talent sermon, but it seems 3-5 is the number of elite (All-Pro) the average team has. (Yes, some have more). Miami doesn't have 3, but it's not unreasonable to anticipate Fitz, Tunsil, and X. I think Wilson and Drake could be if used properly. Noonethess, I don't want to get in an 'elite' debate. Let's get rid of the 5 worst starters and go from there.

I hear ya. I guess my point is if a team has starting talent and even depth on both sides of the ball, some elite, some above average and above average depth at the most important positions, QB, Pass Rush, Oline, skill positions, secondary, then you can say that is a good team.

We are talent deficient in many of the most important areas, thus my overall assessment of the roster after expected cuts is that we are talent deficient in many important positions such as QB, Pass Rush, Interior Oline, Interior Dline, and we need at least 1 more starting boundary corner. That is a lot of deficiencies no? Whether we have Minkah, Tunsil, and Howard, and maybe some decent (when healthy) pieces at receiver and running back, the roster as a whole still measures out as overall deficient, especialliy in some rather important areas, that’s all I’m saying.

Maybe I’m wrong? Maybe we will have an incredible pass rush next year, and an Oline that is in the top 5 in the league and a franchise QB, but would you take the over or under on that one?

Tanking: the losers mentality. The "I-Have-No-Clue-I-Give-Up" mentality crowd.

By all measures we were an 8-8 team last year - with all the ****ty QBing and all the ****ty coaching and our injuries. With our injuries and ****ty coaching but with better QBing we would have been a 9-7 maybe 10-6 team. We had a total of 8 or 9 games of not just mediocre QB play but outright crap **** between Osweiler and Tannehill.
If you put a QB on that team who gives you mediocre play we will win 1/3 of these games. And I am only talking about offense. You give us some better coaching on O and D and the same mediocre roster from last year would make a run for a playoff spot.

Forget about the idiocy of tanking in the first place but our roster is not made to tank for anything. You have to purge offense and defense. Wilson, Grant, Stills, possibly Gore, Drake, Ballage, Amendola (just to name a handful) are not players you tank with. And purging them for a fictional tank will require years to replace. By the time we have another roster which looks decent all our young players come out of age and demand high paying contracts including that coveted 2020 franchise QB. Then what? Dumb them all again?

We already added by subtracting. Bad coaching and bad play calls be gone. QBs gone. Now we added a HC who has never heard of tanking. He comes from an environment of reloading, not rebuilding. Building an NFL roster is not done through tanking. If you are a 1-15 team because you purged your roster of quality players (not just big useless contracts) you are simply a bad team. You will have a roster of which 50% does not cut it. It will take you years to get back to just .500 level.

Building a roster is done through sensible FA pickups, outstanding drafting (which includes superb scouting) and hitting on all cylinders in the late rounds of the draft as well as undrafted FAs and finding talent on other teams trash pile. That's where Flores comes from: "finding players fitting the system"

If you see a QB in a draft you get him. You do everything to get him. Trading up. KC did not suck for Mahomes. They traded. They identified their future QB and despite being 12-4 the year before they traded up from 27 to 10 and got him.

If you purge your roster to tank just to get a QB in the draft you are purging possible talent for that new QB. You leave him exposed with no quality teammates and it will be years to undo that purge.

Maybe I should ask the admins to create a new forum: the "Loser Forum" where we can throw all these garbage post about tanking in.

Take a deep breath, think happy thoughts and substitute the word “Tank” with “Structural Roster Rebuild” and maybe you’ll feel better...

i dont know that you can call cutting losers like parker, stills,tanny, branch etc tanking as they did nothing but suck.

wtf how is Stills a loser? Since he joined the phins in 2015 he has the 16th most TD's in the NFL which aren't superstar numbers but pretty respectable for a guy who doesn't get a ton of targets.

Back
Top Bottom