This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships.

Something’s gotta give in the not too distant future because the salaries QB’s are starting to get makes it damn near impossible to fill out a roster. If the cap doesn’t rise by ridiculous amounts in the near future, it’s going to absolutely ravage teams.

Case in point: In 2026, a mere 2 seasons away, Lamar Jackson’s cap # is $74.6 million. No joke, I had to do a triple take just to make sure I was reading it right. Regardless of how good the QB is, how in the **** can you even begin to field a team when you’re on the hook for $74.6 million dollars for a single player?!

Something’s gotta give in the not too distant future because the salaries QB’s are starting to get makes it damn near impossible to fill out a roster. If the cap doesn’t rise by ridiculous amounts in the near future, it’s going to absolutely ravage teams.

Case in point: In 2026, a mere 2 seasons away, Lamar Jackson’s cap # is $74.6 million. No joke, I had to do a triple take just to make sure I was reading it right. Regardless of how good the QB is, how in the **** can you even begin to field a team when you’re on the hook for $74.6 million dollars for a single player?!
Not sure what the current thinking on QB salary to cap ratio is, but a few years ago it was felt that anything over 20% was a serious detriment to fielding an overall complete roster, and 15% was a more manageable number.

74.6m would be far in excess of 25%. Certainly not a good situation. The salvation for that specific situation is that they do draft very well. Rookie contracts on impact players can cover a lot.

You add that to other players averaging $20M+

That's insanity!

Not sure what the current thinking on QB salary to cap ratio is, but a few years ago it was felt that anything over 20% was a serious detriment to fielding an overall complete roster, and 15% was a more manageable number.

74.6m would be far in excess of 25%. Certainly not a good situation. The salvation for that specific situation is that they do draft very well. Rookie contracts on impact players can cover a lot.
It’s unsustainable. We saw the curve change with RBs and it has to happen eventually with QBs.

You add that to other players averaging $20M+

That's insanity!
That’s the real issue - salaries are exploding at every position. Top interior offensive linemen are getting $15m+, top interior defensive linemen are getting $20m+. I think there are 14-15 WRs averaging $20m+ per season. In combination with QBs getting cap charges close to $50m or higher, the cap needs a major increase.

It’s unsustainable. We saw the curve change with RBs and it has to happen eventually with QBs.
Maybe to some extent, but I don't see a parallel to the RB situation.

For one, generally high level output of most backs is coming to an end about the time their rookie deals expire. Top QB careers are substantially longer.

A QB touches the ball virtually every offensive snap, and is inarguably the most important offensive player as a rule.

You are also never likely to see an effective QB by committee approach.

What may happen is a situation where there are fewer highly paid QBs, a lot of cheap QBs, and no middle ground, at least in FA. Guys who get 5th yr options will always have a middle ground.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom