This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships.

Can't they just renegotiate the deal to a lower the cap hit and give him the difference in a signing bonus ?

The guys with the pocket protectors usually figure out a way
Exactly. Josh is still young and he will be around for awhile longer, so they will just do what you said, and push the bonus into the future years.

They are so screwed.

They aren’t screwed. They have a young stud QB, who for as long as he’s there playing at the level he has been playing at, will keep his team’s championship window open. They will just convert his salary into guaranteed money to lower his cap hit and spread out that money over future years. It’s the contracts they gave to Diggs and Miller that are more troublesome.

You pay a QB all this cap% because they can save you money elsewhere on the roster and win you enough games to get you playoff tickets year in year out.

You pay Tua because you just won 11 games with none of your OL starters playing more than half the snaps during the season, while still fielding a top 5 passing offense.

YOU WON 11 GAMES FIELDING BACKUPS AT LT, LG and C MORE THAN HALF THE TIME.

You won 11 games with practice squad players on your OL at 3 key spots. It's not because Tua's dick isnt far up Tony Romo's throat that he isn't taking a big part of this offense on his back to win games.

They aren’t screwed. They have a young stud QB, who for as long as he’s there playing at the level he has been playing at, will keep his team’s championship window open. They will just convert his salary into guaranteed money to lower his cap hit and spread out that money over future years. It’s the contracts they gave to Diggs and Miller that are more troublesome.

I think Diggs is a goner and they will go get a replacement with that money

They'll just restructure, not a big deal.

That said, I've thought for few years they need to have a subset salary cap just for QBs or come up with a formula of some kind that reduces the cap charge from the actual payout. I don't know the answer, The math nerds would have to work their magic.

This is what happens when you give QBs mega contracts.

I am not in favor of the mega contracts, but what can we do? Thinking outside the box, and I am not sure if this would work, but in the past, I have suggested deciding on a prototype and drafting a QB that fits the bill frequently. Instead of paying the big bucks to a QB, shore up the trenches, skill positions, etc. to protect them and surround them with talent to give them a fighting chance. The exact timetable depends on ideally having a starter, a vet behind them as backup and mentor, and then a developmental QB with 1-2 years on the bench. If the point comes where we will need to pay the mega contract then trade the QB or let them hit the market ( who knows maybe the NFL will give us a 3rd round comp pick). If things go well and we end up with an extra, we could trade a QB for a high pick or two and reload the coffers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom