This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what happens when you overpay for stats instead of championships.

There are always be teams willing to make the mistake of paying for what someone did yesterday.

Time to trade Tyreek to a team that's willing to accept his $30M salary in exchange for a Super Bowl run.

Miami needs to evolve and find a WR to pair with Waddle who'll produce ~1,000-yds for $8M or less. A productive rookie would be ideal.

I agree with this. Its unpopular opinion around these parts and I get the hesitancy from fans to consider moving our best player but the offense has to evolve. It all boils down to the fact that Tua-Hill-Waddle isn't an ideal trio, given the state of the rest of the team. If we had been able to draft Dalton Kincaid, Sam Laporta or Michael Mayer last year, it might be a different situation all together.

It would have to be a really strong offer though, involving picks and at least one player on a rookie contract.

Maybe a team like the Lions, with Jameson Williams, should they fall short this weekend might be inclined to swing for the fences. Also think Detroit could have an interest in Xavien Howard.

Maybe the Packers, with the super talented Christian Watson and Tucker Kraft, who also have Luke Musgrave and 2 second round picks this year thanks to the Rodgers trade, to make something happen.

Something’s gotta give in the not too distant future because the salaries QB’s are starting to get makes it damn near impossible to fill out a roster. If the cap doesn’t rise by ridiculous amounts in the near future, it’s going to absolutely ravage teams.

Case in point: In 2026, a mere 2 seasons away, Lamar Jackson’s cap # is $74.6 million. No joke, I had to do a triple take just to make sure I was reading it right. Regardless of how good the QB is, how in the **** can you even begin to field a team when you’re on the hook for $74.6 million dollars for a single player?!
That's up to teams to decide how they want to construct their teams.

QB by committee would be a lot of fun though. Bring in the strong armed QB to throw the Hail Mary, the mobile guy for a designed run - or in a game where the other team is getting too much pressure. Sit the mobile guy for the pocket passer when you’re getting a great pocket and tons of time. Bring in the physical QB for the sneak play. Might make the game more interesting. Hey, the Woodstock years were kinda fun, weren’t they?
I thought that this would've been a great idea when Marino was out. They had Mitchell and DeBerg, and I don't remember which was which, but one of those guys was better at driving down the field while the other was better at scoring in the Red Zone. It made sense to me to use each QB depending on the situation. Apparently, Shula didn't agree.

Something’s gotta give in the not too distant future because the salaries QB’s are starting to get makes it damn near impossible to fill out a roster. If the cap doesn’t rise by ridiculous amounts in the near future, it’s going to absolutely ravage teams.

Case in point: In 2026, a mere 2 seasons away, Lamar Jackson’s cap # is $74.6 million. No joke, I had to do a triple take just to make sure I was reading it right. Regardless of how good the QB is, how in the **** can you even begin to field a team when you’re on the hook for $74.6 million dollars for a single player?!
In the NHL the max player cap hit can not exceed 15% of the team salary cap. The NFL would be smart to look into this, maybe then running backs could actually get paid

In the NHL the max player cap hit can not exceed 15% of the team salary cap. The NFL would be smart to look into this, maybe then running backs could actually get paid
I'm sure the owners would sign up for that immediately. I doubt they care how the $ is split.

It's the players themselves who would have to initiate and agree to this when they negotiate the CBA.

Same with any attempt to artificially prop up the RB position.

The cap is the cap. Owners are required to spend a set amount. Do you think other positions are going to vote to give RBs part of their slice of the pie?

I thought that this would've been a great idea when Marino was out. They had Mitchell and DeBerg, and I don't remember which was which, but one of those guys was better at driving down the field while the other was better at scoring in the Red Zone. It made sense to me to use each QB depending on the situation. Apparently, Shula didn't agree.
Shula got a lot wrong after the 85 season. But this board looks back at those years from 86-95 Like we were in afc champ every year. Fact is from 86-95 Shula made playoffs 90 92 94 95. Got humiliated in playoffs in 95 at Buffalo. Blew 21 -6 lead in 94 against chargers. 92 lost afc champ game at home
1990 had a chance to clinch number one seed with win at buffalo week 15 against frank Reich and lost.

Don’t get me started on 91 season. This board couldn’t handle it.

Then Mitchell hurt his shoulder I think and DeBerg’s arm fell off due to overuse. Haha. DeBerg had one of the prettiest play action fakes in NFL history - and that’s not hyperbole.

Playing your heart out and losing multiple tight games to Mahomes in the playoffs is hardly a crime. Darn right you pay for that opportunity.

It should be some type of sports fan felony to watch a few Chiefs regular season games and proclaim they are overrated and a preferred opponent in the playoffs. It's very high among the most asinine summaries I've heard in 50+ years of following this sport
Agree w the sentiment. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

I will say this - I did not think the Chiefs would beat Buffalo in Buffalo this year. They just aren’t as potent as they have been in years past. I don’t think they were overrated or underrated- they are / were an 11-6 team and that “feels” right to me. However, they have a QB who is so hard to put down. Just like Brady was. I mean, in what world do you run 78 plays to 43 (not counting kneels) and lose? That is so rare. They had 21 first downs on 43 plays. That’s insane. That’s all Mahomes - they don’t even have any scary weapons this year and Kelce is old.

I kept expecting the Chiefs to stall out on a drive in the first half and have to punt. And I was thinking, “one punt and this game is going to get out of hand early” because they weren’t stopping the Bills on D. Had Buffalo gone up by 2 scores in the first half I think they win. But they didn’t. They couldn’t stop Mahomes from making plays to keep scoring drives alive. Even if they were FGs.

I do think their run ends in Baltimore this weekend but I didn’t expect them to get this far so who knows?

Shula got a lot wrong after the 85 season. But this board looks back at those years from 86-95 Like we were in afc champ every year. Fact is from 86-95 Shula made playoffs 90 92 94 95. Got humiliated in playoffs in 95 at Buffalo. Blew 21 -6 lead in 94 against chargers. 92 lost afc champ game at home
1990 had a chance to clinch number one seed with win at buffalo week 15 against frank Reich and lost.

Fair, Bane. But I’d be thrilled to be as relevant as the 85’-95’ teams. Jimmy Johnson did not improve over Shula’s final 3-4 years and then the rest has been an awful part of our history. Give me the ‘90, ‘92, ‘93 and ‘94 teams today over what we’ve had to suffer through since then. Hasn’t been too much fun for a very long time.

Alone? No. And I wouldn't want an ex Jill QB on my team.

But if you think all those broken tackles and first down run conversions aren't a big asset that play a huge part of the team's success, you are dismissing reality.
You're right. But against Miami he threw two INTs in the Fin end zone, ran out of time at the end of the first half, and got strip-sacked. Not that he does that much damage to his team every week, but he does screw up more than average.

Yet they will probably beat us twice, and win the division. Why? Because Josh Allen owns us.
No, he doesn't. The Bills have dominated us for the last few years, but Josh Allen all but gave away that end of season game. He's a good football player, but he screws up. He can be beaten, and gets beaten multiple times every year. We can beat him too.

In the late 70s/early 80s the Jets "owned" us, until we beat them three times in 1982. We "owned" the Bills and Pats for years and years, then suddenly we didn't.

Every year the slate is wiped clean and the story starts over.

Hey Bane, sacrilege, apostate, heretic, infidel, insulting the honor of our prophet Don Shula. Seriously, I always wondered if Coach Shula had the thought that it would be possible to win a superbowl without a running game and become one of the greatest innovators in football. Also, I think that he deferred to Dan The Man too much, causing the team to never develop a solid inside running game.

Honestly, I see the same thing in this iteration, no running off center, or inside the guards also a lack of use of tight ends against zone defenses. I mean big tight ends, not skinny tall guys. But let's see what happens, but I do believe that there will be no great changes outside of roster turnover. It would not surprise me if the focus on statistics will continue.

The Ever Heretical VIPER

Hey Bane, sacrilege, apostate, heretic, infidel, insulting the honor of our prophet Don Shula. Seriously, I always wondered if Coach Shula had the thought that it would be possible to win a superbowl without a running game and become one of the greatest innovators in football. Also, I think that he deferred to Dan The Man too much, causing the team to never develop a solid inside running game.

Honestly, I see the same thing in this iteration, no running off center, or inside the guards also a lack of use of tight ends against zone defenses. I mean big tight ends, not skinny tall guys. But let's see what happens, but I do believe that there will be no great changes outside of roster turnover. It would not surprise me if the focus on statistics will continue.

The Ever Heretical VIPER
Hey Vioer - you know there has been a little bit of change. The 5’9” receivers from the Shula era are now 5’10” !

Back
Top Bottom