This Week At Minnesota | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Week At Minnesota

So in your opinion, what must Miami do match up wise this weekend to beat Minnesota?
I know we should pressure Cousins, probably try to be physical with their o-line. What else do you see as key factors to winning this game?(Besides the obvious axioms, avoid turnovers, etc; I am referring to actual game strategy)
Happy holidays everyone, looking forward to hearing people's proposed game plans for this huge matchup.

1. Get X back.
2. Run the ball: It can be done. Vikings are middle of the pack in rush defense and have given up 9 TD's on the ground. Our line is much better running than passing.
3. Quick passing to beat the pass rush. Get the ball to Drake and Stills.
4. Pass rush mixed in with some delayed blitzes (like NE used). Viking has given up only 4 fewer sacks than Miami.
5. Win the turnover battle. If we are without X then Jones needs to step up at safety. Same for everyone else. Force some turnovers.
6. Fix the punt team issues. Get Haack back on track to help us in the field position game.

What I’d like to see for once and that’s been one of the team’s biggest problems is to win the time-of-possession battle. We absolutely need to get off the field on defense. We haven’t done that consistently this season.

It's worse than that
We've won time of possession only 4 out of 13 games

117 more plays allowed than ran. That's 9 more plays a game we have to defend. Ouch!

What I’d like to see for once and that’s been one of the team’s biggest problems is to win the time-of-possession battle. We absolutely need to get off the field on defense. We haven’t done that consistently this season.

When looking at league averages on plays ran our defense really isn't off that far from the norm. 63 plays is the league average per game and we are allowing 64. The real problem with time of possession is the offense staying on the field after 3rd down. We only run 55 plays on offense which is 8 below the league average. 30th in league on converting 3rd down leaves us punting and putting our defense back on the field and facing more plays than it should.

1. Get X back.
2. Run the ball: It can be done. Vikings are middle of the pack in rush defense and have given up 9 TD's on the ground. Our line is much better running than passing.
3. Quick passing to beat the pass rush. Get the ball to Drake and Stills.
4. Pass rush mixed in with some delayed blitzes (like NE used). Viking has given up only 4 fewer sacks than Miami.
5. Win the turnover battle. If we are without X then Jones needs to step up at safety. Same for everyone else. Force some turnovers.
6. Fix the punt team issues. Get Haack back on track to help us in the field position game.

Well, "Get the ball to Drake and Stills." SHOULD BE "Get the ball to Drake but not only Stills. Lately, Tannehill has been throwing far too much to Stills. If Minny takes Stills away, I'm worried.
Yes, get blitzes, but much more blitzing. Heaven knows know one will expect THAT.

I heard from some credible minds that Raeqwon actually had a better game than Kiko, which I couldn’t believe after just watching the game the first time, Kiko stood out.

Well, that person was correct in the sense that raeqwon did have a nice game..he was cracking some skulls.

I wouldn’t say it was better because the reason why the run defense was better was because of how the two worked together, the unison was there, on some plays they sacrificed their bodies so their partner could make the play, and they did it nicely on a consistent basis, filling gaps, taken on blocks and sticking the ball carrier, well done..

Kiko had a few plays that were behind the LOS that gave him the edge if I was grading both, but Raeqwon played nice, it’s good to see him playing like this.

Also would like to add after isolating a player, the reason why our run game prospered was no other than Mr Swanson..He was the man in this game.

Multiple times I watched him do combo blocks, solo style, he displayed a quickness after the snap to get into position, he got to the 2nd level on the bolden td which enabled the long td, he was nicely anchored in pass protection most of the game and has stabilized that line..Gore was keying on him and running behind him very nicely..

Last edited:
Vikes have excellent speed on defense and will blitz over center and off the edge, watch for smith and barr. Tannehill has to be ready for this or he will fumble. They have not beat a team with winning record, so getting a win is not impossible. They will be motivated to rebound as local radio has been bashing them.

Here's what we need to do to beat Minnesota:

Don't get 'out-physicaled' by the Vikings. And if that doesn't work, at least be ready for it.

Let's get physical, physical
I want to get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

:lol:

How bad was Sheldon Richardson injured? If he can't play, that is huge, as he matches up against the biggest weaknesses on our roster.

Back
Top Bottom