This will make you feel better about Daboll | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This will make you feel better about Daboll

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
The best thing about Daboll from the outset is that he isn’t Henning, the 67-year-old NFL-lifer presently out grazing in the coaching pasture after an underachieving offense way too enamored of field goals told him it was time to retire.

Henning’s conservative-meets-scared play-calling was merely the umbrella over the many ways he failed. On his watch there was no solid running game despite Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, the interior blocking line was in shambles, the Wildcat lost its mojo, Brandon Marshall was not fully utilized and, most important, quarterback Chad Henne regressed more than developed.

Miami scored its second-fewest offensive touchdowns and fourth-fewest points in the 33 years of the 16-game era, and that was why the playoffs slipped away yet again.
Daboll, then, should enjoy an Anybody But Henning bounce and benefit of doubt.
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen confirmed Daboll’s imminent hiring Monday on his Twitter page and soon received a disappointed Tweet apparently from a Dolfan complaining this was “not the sexy name fans were looking for.”

Deadpanned Mortensen in reply: “Beyonce’ wasn’t available.”

He isn’t a “name” coach, yet but is on the ascent and maybe headed there. I like that, at 35, he is half Henning’s age – here to make his mark, not bide his time.
You want more exciting play-calling, maybe you start with a more excitable coach. Search Daboll’s name on YouTube and find a funny 33-second clip from earlier this season that shows him celebrating a Browns touchdown by chest-bumping players. Left tackle Joe Thomas inadvertently knocks Daboll backward so hard the coach rolls heels over head – then springs right back up looking for somebody else to chest-bump!

Two other pluses about Daboll:

I agree with you. I think everyone is disappointed because he isn't a big name OC, that doesn't mean he won't be good. Hell, who had heard of Mike Smith before he became the HC of the Falcons...look what he has done. Belichick had some bumpy years in Cleveland. You never know with coaches. I'm willing to give this guy a chance. I was disappointed, like many of you, that we didn't get a John Ramsdell or Josh McDaniels. The fact that this guy comes from the Belichick tree has to count for something. Belichick has groomed a lot of good coordinators on both sides of the ball. In Cleveland, lets face it, he had very limited talent to work with. I do like what he did with Peyton Hillis, the RB there. The guy had 270 attempts for 1,177 yards and ranked 15th in the league in rushing. R and R combined for 1,407 yards ranking 38th and 43rd respectively. I'm not saying this guy will get us to the Super Bowl, be he has to at least be better than what we had.

The Browns have an offensive line and a runner who doesn't dance.

I agree with you. I think everyone is disappointed because he isn't a big name OC, that doesn't mean he won't be good. .

No I think everyone is disappointed that we hired someone that ran a more pathetic and boring offensive than Henning.

People aren't disappointed because he isn't a big name. They're disappointed because in his two seasons as offensive coordinator his offensive teams have been horrible.

I, for one, am disappointed that we chose to pluck from the Cleveland tree.

Really? The OC from the Browns is the best we could do? :bobdole:

The OC from the Browns is the best we could do? :bobdole:

I am beginning to think this actually might have been the best we could do. Who would want to come here and work with this dysfunctional group that might be canned after the season. He would have no OL, RB, TE and most importantly no QB. I would pass if I had other opportunities even if it wasn't as OC.

If we were to judge every coach by TWO years of work, Belichik would be unemployed. Let's see what this guy can do before we start piling on him. It's not like bitching is going to make him go away.

If we were to judge every coach by TWO years of work, Belichik would be unemployed. Let's see what this guy can do before we start piling on him. It's not like bitching is going to make him go away.

Which 2 years? He took a relatively untalented team to the best reg. season record and a first round bye. He is so loaded in the upcoming draft it is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom