Thoughts On Lamar Jackson? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts On Lamar Jackson?

opticblazed

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
Seems like he isn't getting any love like the other top QBs. I know college stats doesn't always translate. I have seen this kid play through our his college career. It was just see TV. Potential to throw a bomb or take it to the house on every position. All these other QBs could be busts but at least if he sucks he at least brings athleticism and speed to the team. I have heard he isn't tall enough, not accurate enough but I call bull on that. Other QBs with worst stats have been considered top picks,why not him? I would draft him,let him sit for a year. That kid can ball. I think he ends up best QBs in draft. Felt the same about Wilson when he came out. They didn't like him either.

Pat White was quite the athletic QB coming out of WV as well. The Steelers knocked the athleticism right out of him, along with a few of his chops. Knocked him right out of the league.

He is a little on the skinny side, which people feel could lead to a durability problem at the next level. The accuracy issue is not there if you look at the drops. He throws the ball so effortlessly that he doesn’t have the best footwork and poise because you normally have to have those things dialed in to do with the football what he does so easily. The guy can run. The guy can throw. His whiteboard might not be the best. Nobody wants to go there, but there is a racial component to having a black guy who doesn’t speak well be the face and star of your multibillion corporation. There is the thought that you have to design your entire offense around his skill set and then you are fooked if he gets banged up and the backup has to go in. All legitimate concerns but what he has is unbelievable athleticism and quarterback talent. He played high school football at Boynton Beach, you can see some youtube videos of him and he is doing exactly the same things at the college level. Man amongst boys, always able to showcase his talent. I think he can do it at the next level too. To me, he is one of the most proven of the guys in this class. Less questions about what he can do. Second best offensive player in college football behind Saquan Barkley. I think his best fit right now is Cleveland. He can sit behind Tyrod Taylor until he is ready, which will be sooner than anybody else coming out for sure, and then they have Tyrod as a backup who can come in without that whole idea of revamping the offense. They can build an exciting team with him. They could come away with Saquan and a trade partner that gets them Calvin Ridley and Lamar later and be a team I would want to watch play. They’d be pretty formidable.

At the end of the day, the primary job of the QB is to throw the football.
Accuracy, speed of progressions and football IQ separate the elites from the JAGs
Mobility and elusiveness is the icing on the cake.
If the FO believes he has the 1st 3, then by all means take him.
Sandlot football wins games against average teams, but does not win playoff games or championships when playing against talented well coached defenses.
I haven’t watched him enough to formulate a strong opinion so I will leave it to Gase and co.

At the end of the day, the primary job of the QB is to throw the football.
Accuracy, speed of progressions and football IQ separate the elites from the JAGs
Mobility and elusiveness is the icing on the cake.
If the FO believes he has the 1st 3, then by all means take him.
Sandlot football wins games against average teams, but does not win playoff games or championships when playing against talented well coached defenses.
I haven’t watched him enough to formulate a strong opinion so I will leave it to Gase and co.
All valid points. But man the kid is very exciting to watch and we haven't had that in a while. I cant speak on the mental aspects of his game. Is he a film junkie, how well he comunicates,coachable, etc

The experts don't have him in the top 10, or at 11. Why would we take him at eleven?
Kinda thin too. We know a Miami QB needs to be tough for all the sacks he'll take.

The experts don't have him in the top 10, or at 11. Why would we take him at eleven?
Kinda thin too. We know a Miami QB needs to be tough for all the sacks he'll take.
You would not take him at 11. You would trade back and gain another pick. He will not last to 43.

I personally would have no issue drafting him and letting him sit behind RT for a couple years while we finally figure out if RT can get it done. He can always be traded in a couple of years.

Major project as a thrower. Not accurate, does not show good vision. More of an athlete than QB at this point. He can become a free agent in 4 or 5 years and his development may take almost that long, so GM's lose much of the gains from drafting him high. Given that his strength is in his running ability, I can see why teams are considering him for other positions.

Different type of qb and you would need to totally restructure the offense to fit his needs. More like Tyrod Taylor than Tannehill. Not your traditional passing threat, but can make some of the throws and puts a ton of stress on defenses due to his mobility. I can't see him in a Gase offense and I've always said whatever team drafts Jackson should sign Kaepernick as vet starter for year one and someone with a similar style to Jackson.

Its interesting to hear so many different opinions on him. From all the replies is seems like he could come in and just ball the hell out or be the second coming of pat white. I would take a shot, i mean we have nothing to loose. According to the "experts" we are a bottom three team. Might be our time to hit the jackpot

Interesting you ask. I just heard Jon Elway talking about quarterbacks. He believes a quarterback has to win from the pocket. Paraphrasing a bit, but there seems to be truth there.

Jackson is such an exceptional athlete, off the charts really for the quarterback position. But can he win from the pocket? I don't think so right now, but who knows with the right coaching staff. This is Gase's strong suit so maybe Jackson would be a success in Miami.

Interesting you ask. I just heard Jon Elway talking about quarterbacks. He believes a quarterback has to win from the pocket. Paraphrasing a bit, but there seems to be truth there.

Jackson is such an exceptional athlete, off the charts really for the quarterback position. But can he win from the pocket? I don't think so right now, but who knows with the right coaching staff. This is Gase's strong suit so maybe Jackson would be a success in Miami.

I wouldn't mind that kind of project in the second round or later, but I expect the 11th pick to start immediately. Anywhere in the 1st, actually.

Back
Top Bottom