Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
After the Miami Dolphins landed their potential franchise quarterback with the selection of Tua Tagovailoa at No. 5 overall, the overwhelming majority of draft analysts and national media members commended them for taking the risk of the former Alabama star with the lingering injury and durability questions.

1. Was tackle Austin Jackson worth the 18th overall selection?

The Dolphins absolutely needed an offensive tackle heading into this draft, and they ended up getting two among their first four selections.

Nothing wrong with that thinking.

But the concern here is that the Dolphins valued Jackson apparently way more than most of the scouting community.

An AFC executive told SI Senior NFL Reporter Albert Breer he actually didn't like any of the Dolphins' first-round picks, including Tagovailoa and 30th overall selection Noah Igbinoghene.

Lol I like how this AFC executive is hiding behind anonymity. So tired of these former gms and executives talking about a teams draft anonymously, It’s like show your face, let’s see why you’re unemployed.

Anyway I think the plan is to use the 2021 Draft for all the skills players. Hopefully Houston gives Miami a top 10 pick.

Sure it’s risky, any draft is risky. Nobody knows who will pan out and who won’t. It certainly helps having a coach that can bring the best out of players and hopefully Flores continues to do that.

I'm glad the anonymous AFC executive they interviewed doesn't run the Dolphins if he doesn't even like the Tua pick. That guy must be a complete tool. Miami drafted a left tackle with the most upside, much like the Raiders did when they selected Kolton Miller, which has worked out great for them, and to suggest that Miami should take a tight end in the third round over Brandon Jones when this was one of the worst tight end classes in recent memory is ludicrous. And why was drafting a running back a better option than trading a fifth round pick for Matt Breida, a guy Miami already knows can play in the NFL?

Last edited:
1. Opinions on Jackson seem to vary widely amongst people. I thought that the pick was fine at 18, not my ideal trading up for Willis/Wirfs, but a good pick I could live with nonetheless.

2. This is a lol. It's been beaten to death on this forum, but RBs just do not hold the positional value to justify a first or early second round selection. If Dobbins had slipped to our late 2nd rounder I would have been fine with the pick, but earlier than that nope. For a fifth rounder, instead, we got a 200 touch back. The only negative is that Brieda needs a contract after this season.

3. As previously mentioned this wasn't an ideal TE draft. I like Cole Kmet for obvious reasons, but we would have had to pass on Hunt to get him. I'm more than okay with using multiple early round selections on the line.

My biggest critique of the draft would be the #18 selection and not moving up to secure a player. Wirfs, Lamb, and Jeudy fell to within striking distance. I wish we had move up to secure one of them. Ignoring the receiver position until the 7th? (who knows what position Perry will end up at) was a mistake.

Lol I like how this AFC executive is hiding behind anonymity. So tired of these former gms and executives talking about a teams draft anonymously, It’s like show your face, let’s see why you’re unemployed.

Anyway I think the plan is to use the 2021 Draft for all the skills players. Hopefully Houston gives Miami a top 10 pick.
Agreed with you - and the quip about not being able to pry Joe Burrow has no traction
either

None of these people have any idea either just one big smoke show

They only tell us what they would have done.

These type of players tend to go ahead of where some think- based on projected ceilings..

For Jackson, it’s an especially pertinent question. The 6-foot-6, 310-pounder, who declared for the draft after his junior season, is somewhat of a polarizing prospect among scouts and prognosticators. He’s been characterized by some as an unfinished product, raw in his technique, but oozing with athleticism and high-end potential.

It's very probable that the quote from the anonymous AFC executive was completely made up by the blogger who reported it. These guys can and will write anything that they think will generate web traffic knowing they'll never have to provide proof of their 'sources'. Creating news is much bigger business than reporting news.

TFK

Everyone says “build from the inside out” until you actually do it. Then they gripe about lack of playmakers. That being said, I like our skilled players.
Spot on. This was a much needed meat and potatoes draft. I don't think Miami planned to take any skill position players, unless it was a "too good to pass up" scenario like Dallas with Lamb.

I wasn't thrilled with the Jackson pick at #18 because that was probably a little high, but I also don't think he would have made it out of R1. Not with his ceiling, which is very high. Now that the draft has settled in, though, I like the Dolphins plan. It all made sense, even if I don't necessarily agree with each selection.

The only point i really agree with the executive on is RB. I would of liked to have seen them get one of the top end running backs in this draft.

Back
Top Bottom