Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft

Remind me not to Smoke whatever the hell this exec was smoking. I love all the pot shots being taken by anonymous sources. Bunch of jokes. Miami's draft may not have been perfect, but they did address needs. Time will eventually tell who was right. But for now F/A and Draft 2020 are a smashing success.

IMO Charley Casserly's opinions reflect a useless anachronism of the past...and as such are mostly worthless. But to his credit, even though he was put out to pasture also, he owns them instead of disseminating them anonymously. If this obviously failed "exec" (who I think is Tannenbum) won't take ownership, IMO, he feels they will poorly reflect on his own judgment. It's always easy to snipe from the bleachers.

OTs play into their mid 30s nowadays, if they aren't screwed by injuries. That means even if Jackson takes 2 years to match Tunsil's output (which is average) then he's still got 10+ seasons ahead of him. OTs are rarely ready to start game 1 BTW. Tunsil played the entire first season at guard where he was only decent.

If we wanted immediate production, we should've gotten a FA

The only point i really agree with the executive on is RB. I would of liked to have seen them get one of the top end running backs in this draft.
I think they would have taken Dobbins if the Ravens hadn't right before them but you know what, running backs are available every year and with two first rounders and two seconds next year, they're in a good spot to get their back of the future in 2021, which might be a better scenario if the line creates some continuity this year. No sense wasting a great running backs best years, which are typically short, during a time when the team is still transitioning. In the meantime, they have two solid NFL running backs to go with.

In all seriousness, as a Dolphins fan, I recognize there was a lot riding on the draft. I'm not completely happy but if they work out. It's a win for the team and fans. There are a lot of former players, GM's and Executives who are talking heads today, who get paid to Express their opinions. And that's all this was; an opinion. But controversial. We shall prevail. Lots of jealous folks out there because Miami had picks and money, moving forward.

I'm glad the anonymous AFC executive they interviewed doesn't run the Dolphins if he doesn't even like the Tua pick. That guy must be a complete tool. Miami drafted a left tackle with the most upside, much like the Raiders did when they selected Kolton Miller, which has worked out great for them, and to suggest that Miami should take a tight end in the third round over Brandon Jones when this was one of the worst tight end classes in recent memory is ludicrous. And why was drafting a running back a better option than trading a fifth round pick for Matt Breida, a guy Miami already knows can play in the NFL?
I can’t even name a TE that got drafted

OTs play into their mid 30s nowadays, if they aren't screwed by injuries. That means even if Jackson takes 2 years to match Tunsil's output (which is average) then he's still got 10+ seasons ahead of him. OTs are rarely ready to start game 1 BTW. Tunsil played the entire first season at guard where he was only decent.

If we wanted immediate production, we should've gotten a FA

Just keep in mind that the player may not be on the team in 5 years due to FA. If he turns out great, but takes several years to develop, he may not qualify as a productive draft choice. For a possible franchise LT, the pick may still be worth the risk, but you have to get production out of players on rookie contracts.

I'm very happy with the draft. We got out franchise QB and he's awesome!! We had NO choice on the o-line pieces. We had to bring in a lot of help and we did. In the past when we were desperate for o-line help we'd draft 1 guy and sign 2 or 3 FAs. This time we drafted for o-line and we got some huge, powerful players. A big key to the draft is Jackson working out. We picked him higher than a lot had him slated but he was the guy we wanted. He's only 20 and has tons of upside. Davis from Alabama may turn out to be a great pick. Flo seemed very happy to snag Davis!

Just keep in mind that the player may not be on the team in 5 years due to FA. If he turns out great, but takes several years to develop, he may not qualify as a productive draft choice. For a possible franchise LT, the pick may still be worth the risk, but you have to get production out of players on rookie contracts.
That's a good point considering we just cut/traded two 1st Rd picks in their early 20s. If they aren't going to improve after 3 seasons, who cares how young they are, they're just a waste of roster spot.

As bad as our OL was last year, I can't imagine how Jackson doesn't start..... But maybe Davenport kicks it up a gear, he's a former 3rd or 4th rounder and should be stronger than Jackson after this long in the NFL

That's a good point considering we just cut/traded two 1st Rd picks in their early 20s. If they aren't going to improve after 3 seasons, who cares how young they are, they're just a waste of roster spot.

As bad as our OL was last year, I can't imagine how Jackson doesn't start..... But maybe Davenport kicks it up a gear, he's a former 3rd or 4th rounder and should be stronger than Jackson after this long in the NFL
Agree... I suspect Jackson will start right away and be an upgrade.

I think this is the same GM that predicted a winless team with the worst nfl players ever collected on the team. Just means the dolphins had a hell of a draft...lmbo

Can’t really agree with any of the points, especially about not drafting a RB or TE.

You can have your grade on Austin Jackson and they can have their’s. Clearly the kid has the physical traits the position requires to see the upside in him. No one would be shocked if he has a better career than any of the OTs that went ahead of him.

This is a team that operates a little differently than most especially given their objective has been different. They started this process with an incredibly young team and a whole lot of needs. It was always going to be impossible to fill all of them. Nor did it make sense to. You gotta start spreading out the ages and contracts of all these young players.

4 top 64 picks next year have to be incorporated into the plan after yet another evaluation season. The difference with this season is the overall talent level of the team is so much higher.

We are in the enviable position of being able to target 3 or 4 specific players at remaining areas of need next year and they are for the most part the “fun” positions. Offensive skill guys should always be the last pieces to the puzzle.

Back
Top Bottom