Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Concerns About the Dolphins Draft

Miami got lucky when Akers went to the rams. Hell they should have jumped in front of them at 52 i believe but that’s for another day. That should have been if not prior tbe warning shot they needed to move from 56 up slightly with all that capitol. Instead we stayed at 56 and ended up with a dt/5 tech type that lacks juice and explosion and plays more like a college overachiever tools wise without the college production.

Miami drafted frame at 56 over tools. He’s not even that gifted. That’s got one year cheap contracts written all over it come end of year 3 of the rookie contract.

as for tight end nah.

Last edited:
I think we wanted Ruiz at 26, but the Saints nabbed him at 24...

On a side note, had the Bill's hung on to beat the Texans in the playoffs last year, we would have picked in front of the Saints.

i guess the article was somewhat interesting. I do not really care what he thinks about taking Tua. I am not a huge fan but we needed a QB and did not reach. I personally was ok with either qb on the board at that pick.
i thought Isaiah Simmons was the best player on the board at our pick and think we have not had that level of player in our front 7 in well over a decade.

The TE issue I do not see but would have been ok taking a flyer later over the long snapper or the player out of Navy.
While I agree that maybe Jackson is not the ideal pick he does have upside. Personally I felt they should have traded up for Tristan Wirfs who couid easily be the best lineman in this draft. We had a lot of assets and moving up 5 spots would not have taken that much considering all the picks we had and what they accepted. I just feel there was a huge drop off in talent at line in those spots. Jackson was probably not the 18th best player on the board but most people had him as a first rounder although slightly further down. I saw mocks with him coming to us.

I do agree that we should have moved up to take one of the premier running backs or taken one at some point during the draft. Would much rather have taken a receiver at 6 like Peoples Jones instead of a long snapper.
We could have signed Steve Wirtel or McCullugh as free agents. Neither are more or less talented at long snapping than the guy we used a draft pick on.

i also agree with Hoops on Davis. He was a big prospect at one point but tapered off early in college and has been nothing special at that level. Somebody compared him to Darryl Gardner on the board and I guess only if you are talking about a slightly slower, not as strong and lazier player. Maybe we can motivate him but he seems pretty one dimensional at this point.

The glass half full of me says I love the draft philosophy.

The glass half empty of me looks at the Dolphins' trades of our good draft picks that had value went on to have great years for other teams & this draft is trying to replace them while also correcting the rubbish moves like Harris, Ballage, & Rosen. This tank job seems like Grier was given a mulligan for his first couple seasons as GM.

My only hope is Tua will be a superstar and stays healthy. Otherwise, this tank job and draft haul is kind of rubbish considering the young all-pro or pro bowl players we traded away. Turned out, we didn't even need that draft capital to land Tua either.

OTs play into their mid 30s nowadays, if they aren't screwed by injuries. That means even if Jackson takes 2 years to match Tunsil's output (which is average) then he's still got 10+ seasons ahead of him. OTs are rarely ready to start game 1 BTW. Tunsil played the entire first season at guard where he was only decent.

If we wanted immediate production, we should've gotten a FA

The only reason Tunsil started at LG his rookie season was because Branden Albert was still on the roster and the starting LT. If Albert wasn't on the roster Tunsil would have started day 1 at LT.

Lol I like how this AFC executive is hiding behind anonymity. So tired of these former gms and executives talking about a teams draft anonymously, It’s like show your face, let’s see why you’re unemployed.

Anyway I think the plan is to use the 2021 Draft for all the skills players. Hopefully Houston gives Miami a top 10 pick.

The one point I don’t hear to much regarding skepticism of the Jackson pick is the fact that last year he wasn’t playing at 100% because he had donated bone marrow to his sister. He might be a different player once he fully recovers from that and we may see evidence of that this season, making him not as developmental of a prospect as people may think based on his film from last season. But we shall see

Miami got lucky when Akers went to the rams. Hell they should have jumped in front of them at 52 i believe but that’s for another day. That should have been if not prior tbe warning shot they needed to move from 56 up slightly with all that capitol. Instead we stayed at 56 and ended up with a dt/5 tech type that lacks juice and explosion and plays more like a college overachiever tools wise without the college production.

Miami drafted frame at 56 over tools. He’s not even that gifted. That’s got one year cheap contracts written all over it come end of year 3 of the rookie contract.

as for tight end nah.
I liked Cam Akers in this class-
The Davis Pick was my least favorite of this class. Would’ve preferred about 7-10 guys picked right after:
Cleveland, Uche, Mims, Dillon, Chin, Gay, Lewis, Davis, Hamilton.

Right Before for TRADEUP:
Swift, Akers, Winfield, Delpit.
These were borderline Rd1 / Early Rd2 Guys.

I don't think Greir or Flores thought Balt would take a RB there in 2nd round since they already have Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards who they really like. I would have taken McKinney at 18 and Swift at 30. I would not have drafted DT in 2nd and the LB Uche was there.

I don't think Greir or Flores thought Balt would take a RB there in 2nd round since they already have Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards who they really like. I would have taken McKinney at 18 and Swift at 30. I would not have drafted DT in 2nd and the LB Uche was there.

Agree. Some here seem to think drafting is a simple 'I want him, I'll draft him.' Most of us know the strategy is FAR deeper. I want player X (WR) and there are two teams between us and and player X. One desperately needs a CB, the other has the league's best WR corp. The odds are, player X is ours. Oops. That's life. If teams moved up to insure they get 'their guy,' they'd trade up almost every pick. The player picked at #17 may depend on who's taken at #15.

Sometimes teams want to move up (I was expecting (wanting)) Miami to move up in R1 for a top OT. Didn't happen. Can't trade up without a partner.

We can all come up with additional scenarios. Thus, I get amused/annoyed at those saying Miami picked 'the wrong' guy,' when they could have moved up

No Oline help early at all?

Considering our selection of Igbinoghene,
I am glad the NFL made pass interference unreviewable. The man can cover, but he seems to go a little too far at times contact-wise.

I wonder what the overlap between the group of people who said “do NOT trade up for tua, we stockpiled all those picks for a reason” and the “we should have traded up for player X” is.

No issues with taking Jackson at 18. He was their highest rank tackle on their board at that time. No guarantee that he will be available at next pick, so now you are choosing your 6th or 7th best tackle.

I would say that we covered the entire draft well at every position and as far as being skilled we got Tua ya do not get more skilled than that.

Running back is probably my greatest concern but we have some options and if not we will just churn that position until one pops. That position is one of the easier ones to churn. We have lots of options at wide receiver and the tight end position improved last year that if our 2 2018 class continues to build on that I have no worries.

As soon as I see the phrase, "we should have traded up for..."

I stop reading and go on to the next post.

I try to remain in the realm of reality... and avoid those who think trades are always available.

Back
Top Bottom