Three rookies are noted | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three rookies are noted

What if he can be a good guard (if he doesn't make it at RT).

Still can his a$$ after next season?
On a 2nd round pick?

Heck no. I’m not sure Flowers sees the third year of his deal. I think they saw raw talent in Hunt and assumed he’d fit somewhere, eventually.

It’ll workout, or it won’t. Either way we are a long way away from knowing that answer. I can’t believe how many people expected to have all their questions answered after one game, given all the circumstances; Covid, new staff etc.

The only draft pick that matters is the next one.

But why should we play him as long as Jessie Davis plays well? As of now, Hunt lost out to two guys that were more than adequate in game one.

He would probably be the starting RG, but Kindley has far exceeded expectations. But I do think they want him to be a future RT much more than a Guard.

I'll start worrying about his future (and him being a "wasted draft pick") if the guys he lost out to stop looking like they deserve to be out there, and he's still on the bench.

easy now it’s just one game. Ain’t nobody out there lighting the world on fire and you got $30 mil in flowers

Agree, with the qualifier that should there be an injury at another spot, Davis could plug in there, assuming the staff feels Hunt can be, at least competent at Tackle.

im sure he’s the first man up at rg or right tackle if that’s what you are fishing at. Unless they felt davenport was more ready at tackle

Good on Brandon Jones.

Problem is Grier cannot draft front 7 and skill position players.
Fortunately, he now has McKenzie and Allen to lean on for that aspect of his responsibility.

To Griers credit, he appears to be a much better wheeler dealer, an displays more common sense with contract structure than what we have had in the past.

Heck no. I’m not sure Flowers sees the third year of his deal. I think they saw raw talent in Hunt and assumed he’d fit somewhere, eventually.

It’ll workout, or it won’t. Either way we are a long way away from knowing that answer. I can’t believe how many people expected to have all their questions answered after one game, given all the circumstances; Covid, new staff etc.

The only draft pick that matters is the next one.

I agree On flowers. Right now I’d say he looks like a guy who will man left guard for 2 years.

easy now it’s just one game. Ain’t nobody out there lighting the world on fire and you got $30 mil in flowers
I specifically used the words "more than adequate." Obviously Davis didn't play like a pro bowler. But he did play like a guy that you would not be surprised to beat out a second rounder that had no preaseason and has participated in about a dozen practices.

And regarding Flowers. It's really more of a 2 year/19 million dollar deal, with a team option for the 3rd. We can save 10 million, with only 1 mill in dead cap, by releasing him if we don't need him in year 3.

Why isn't Hunt playing now?

First of all, Davis is not the future of any spot on the OL.

Second, Hunt needs to play to improve, learn and develope chemistry.

Thirdly, you need to know before next draft if you still need a RT.

Yeah he played a couple snaps in heavy sets on the goalline

it’s not very good return for a top 40 pick unless they are still thinking long term he’s a starting tackle
Lots of teams draft OL that don't play immediately. Most don't start immediately in fact. Ideally we'd have a solid OL that these picks would be backups with potential to replace. NFL OL is a hard to adapt to physically I'm guessing. I always hear that most OL are undersized and need to gain 10-20 lbs before starting just to keep up with DL size.

Maybe that is why Kindley adapted quick?

Lots of teams draft OL that don't play immediately. Most don't start immediately in fact. Ideally we'd have a solid OL that these picks would be backups with potential to replace. NFL OL is a hard to adapt to physically I'm guessing. I always hear that most OL are undersized and need to gain 10-20 lbs before starting just to keep up with DL size.

Maybe that is why Kindley adapted quick?

I already asked this to the board before but name a non tackle top 40 pick that didn’t start out the gate on the oline league wide. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

if it’s tackle that’s a different thing and I get that and there’s serviceable vet in front of him with that right now.

frankly I’m only convinced there’s one long term ie 3 years from now current starter playing on that oline for us and it’s Austin Jackson and that’s if he does a lot of developing these next 2 years.

I doubt it. Awsi said and I agree with him davis is fine for the quality of this team right now.

I can't disagree with you or Awsi that Davis is fine for the quality of this team right now.

I also know Jesse is a captain, so he must have the respect of the squad.

But if Hunt starts to show up in practice later in the season, I would be disappointed if they didn't give him a shot at RT.

Yeah he played a couple snaps in heavy sets on the goalline

it’s not very good return for a top 40 pick unless they are still thinking long term he’s a starting tackle
It is early for Hunt. When is “no longer early”? Midseason, next year?

Why isn't Hunt playing now?

First of all, Davis is not the future of any spot on the OL.

Second, Hunt needs to play to improve, learn and develope chemistry.

Thirdly, you need to know before next draft if you still need a RT.
very hard to start 3 rookie linemen, specially with no pre season games. You need at least one veteran in there and Davis was voted team captain. Hunt will get his chance.

I already asked this to the board before but name a non tackle top 40 pick that didn’t start out the gate on the oline league wide. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

if it’s tackle that’s a different thing and I get that and there’s serviceable vet in front of him with that right now.

frankly I’m only convinced there’s one long term ie 3 years from now current starter playing on that oline for us and it’s Austin Jackson and that’s if he does a lot of developing these next 2 years.
Andre Dillard didn't last year for Philly (he was healthy). He was a 1st rounder. Now he's out all year with a torn bicep.

very hard to start 3 rookie linemen, specially with no pre season games. You need at least one veteran in there and Davis was voted team captain. Hunt will get his chance.
I do see a little issue with your logic.

If Hunt's going to get his chance do you really want to throw him in green and learning a position with Tua as the QB?

We already have 2 rookies and 4 new linemen, so I'm not sure the difference with one more. I'd rather it be with Fitz in there.

Hopefully you're right and he does get his opportunity though.

Back
Top Bottom