Time to take a page from the book of Belichek..... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to take a page from the book of Belichek.....

Wake still has three years on his contract (he's a UFA is 2017) I think keeping him at least one more season, allowing Jordan to fully develop, and to see if OV's season last year was fluke or he is the real deal would be the smartest move. If those player develop, then the Dolphins could and should entertain trading Derrick Wake.

And trade Cam Wake.

Before you bash me consider some of the things listed below. Also consider that he is my favorite player and I am well aware that he is the best player on our team.

- he is in his 30's
- he is still ridiculously productive and could command a 1st rounder, and then some.
- we have a log jam on the d-line and a couple guys that can come in and play that would soften the blow of his loss (Jordan and Shelby)
- cap space
- potential to have 2 1st rounders, maybe a 3rd too.......and a lot of holes to fill

I would hate to see him go, but we could use some picks and we have someone waiting to replace him.

thoughts??

I don't think that is a bad line of thinking.

I would not think twice about doing it for a first rounder in this or a future draft. That being said he will not fetch such an offer so we are better served to hang onto him because no 2nd rounder or later is worth the drop in production of losing him.

Seymour immediately comes to mind. Matt Cassel and Ellis Hobbs too. I was also referring to how he always seems to stockpile picks somehow.....

Deion Branch (got a 1st rounder for him, he did nothing in Seattle), Mike Vrabel, Randy Moss (got him for a 4th rounder, set records in NE, then traded him for a 2nd rounder and Vikes cut him).

It's all about the return. Trade him for a first rounder - yes. Trade him for a second rounder - no. Trade him for Patrick Willis - I think so.

Next year of course, the potential return is likely to be less, but we'll have enjoyed this year's productivity from him. It's really just math.

Back
Top Bottom