Tony Pauline says Chase doesn’t get past Fins at 3. | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Pauline says Chase doesn’t get past Fins at 3.

This does not help, but if Chase shows out, there is a legit argument he is top guy coming out of the draft. It already is. He is bigger and explosive, rested up... LSU WRs have better track record and he seems to be the most nuanced and well developed of all LSU WRs, who have done better in recent history. Sign me up with Chase at 3.

This is where we have to rely on our talent evaluation from our GM. I won't cry if they grab Smith. But who can honestly sit here and say they are not annoyed about Smith's recent comments? Or concerned about his size? I am doing a deep dive into Ja'Marr before even considering any other skill players at that spot. I won't be mad over either, I have been crazy about Smith as our new WR1 for a while now, but over time I am thinking Chase is that dude.
No doubt Chase is a talented WR. My concern with Chase is his ability to consistently separate and how the lay off from opting out has affected his ability.

I love the recent comparison of being a faster Anquan Bolden; the former Florida State and Arizona Cardinals WR.

During these debates on who to take at 3, I always get hit by the realization of the opportunity Houston stupidly handed us.

I remember even late in the season we were praying this pick would remain top 10. Now, outside of QB's, we got first dibs.

Basically what I'm saying is BOB is the best Fins GM in decades.
or the guy who fleeced him

I keep looking at all the receivers, and the best one seems to be Kyle Pitts.

I will be very curious how he runs at combine/pro day, but I see a better receiver than any other on the board in him.
Could be. Special talent for sure.

So he thinks the Fins are going to pick a guy that choose to sit out the entire year because of the virus or maybe because he knew his team was going to stink and didnt want a part of it. If character, dedication and mental toughness are important to Flores then I would think he would lean to Waddle or Smith.
Or he made a business decision knowing he was a sure-fire top ten pick, opted to avoid injury and being a 20 year old kid, made the choice he thought was best. On the field, this young man is a tough baller. I don’t judge his decision any more than Parsons and Sewell.

If we're getting Pitts, we better take him at 3. He's such a rare physical freak like a Calvin Johnson that I don't see him getting past Philly at 6 and the Bengals may even take him at 5.

Going with Pitts at 3 and then trading up for a Waddle would make our offensive absolutely ridiculous as far as weapons in the passing game, but that won't matter if we can't block well enough to get them the ball. If we take Pitts and trade up for Waddle, we'll be ignoring the o line and the D with our first 3 picks... We better be pretty damn comfortable with what we got on o line and D to do that, and I can't see that being the case as there isn't a real RT or MLB on this roster.

Here's what I'd prefer

3 : Sewell
18 : Marshall or Bateman
36 : Nick Bolton or Chaz Surrat
50 : Best available Pass rusher or RB

This is, of course, pending what we do in FA, but even if we address WR in FA with a guy like Juju or Godwin, it wouldn't stop me at all from going WR with 18. People thinking Pitts is going to slip out of the top 7 are crazy IMO, kid is a rare, rare talent.
I like your Pitts/Waddle idea.

Free agency would have to take care of a few needs. Maybe Lindsey at center.

Oh, you're going to get a lot of disagreement on that one. That's not the player I saw, that's for sure. This kid is super athletic and uses his body so well. I'll agree he's more "receiver" than TE bu that doesn't mean he won't be dominant as a pass catcher in the NFL.
I'll add that his catch radius is unreal. Get the ball close and it's his.

Actually I think Kindley would be the better option at LG over Flowers.
Are you a Nolan Ryan fan? Just wondering. Saw him pitch a lot as a kid, including a one hitter against the Yankees.

One of my all-time favorites.

or the guy who fleeced him
I've read that BOB continuously kept calling and upping the offer until Grier literally couldn't say no.

And based on the ridiculous nature of every move that BOB made, I believe that trade had much more to do w his incompetence than Grier.

I’ve said this at least 100 times but I don’t care who Miami or anybody else picks in the draft. But if you’ve paid any attention my answer isn’t going to change. If you’re picking at #3 the only way to maximize that pick is by taking a quarterback.

The generational left tackle and linebacker talk at #3 is some of the dumbest sh*t I’ve ever heard.
I'd add, or trading down. That's the value move for Miami.

I've read that BOB continuously kept calling and upping the offer until Grier literally couldn't say no.

And based on the ridiculous nature of every move that BOB made, I believe that trade had much more to do w his incompetence than Grier.
It hardly matters wether it was BOB driving the deal or Grier. Regardless, Grier had the patience to wait for a better deal and we ended up with picks 3 and 36 for this upcoming draft. You can say at the very least pick 36 was a reward for that patience.

All great points @juniorseau55 !

It's interesting to compare today's NFL to the far harder NFL in the Dan Marino days. Back then when the defense was head-hunting and the rules didn't protect the QB's, they similarly didn't protect WR's so DB's absolutely mugged WR's on every play. The only way to gain any separation back then was to be an ultra-quick player like Jakeem Grant, Tyreek Hill or Albert Wilson, so receivers getting separation was hard to come by, and it was an era of smurfs (both figuratively and literally as that was the nickname for Washington's entire receiving corps). Today DB's can only get their hands on WR's in the initial bump yardage, and even today that's the single most important aspect for a WR to get open. But, those bigger guys can push through that and get to the ridiculously easy receiving area after that bump yardage and separate with ease, even if they're not ultra-quick. So, today is the era of the big WR's, because the rules have literally tied the hands of the DB's in today's NFL.

It's good for the game. QB's are 100x safer and have been able to extend their careers to unbelievable levels because they almost never get severely injured. The easy peasy pro-WR rules have increased pass completion percentages, increased YPA, increased points, and increased the overall offense. It's similar to how the 3-point play has revolutionized the NBA game ... it simply flooded easy points into the game and altered the way teams go about trying to get points. But still ... sometimes I find myself lamenting the more meaningful but more difficult old day scoring offenses with run games that did more than keep DL honest. I sometimes miss the big dominant NBA centers and slashing forwards making spectacularly athletic plays. Sure, the 3 pointer is better, and if you leave a guy open on the perimeter, you'll be punished, but some of the fun stuff is a bit lacking with these decisions. And people who only grew up in a 3 point dominant league, may not even realize what they're missing. Ditto for the era of the smurf WR.
Sometimes I wonder if the rule changes have gone a little too far. I understand it, and change was needed in terms of player safety.

But I thought the game was better and generally more balanced in the 1980's and maybe early 1990's.

As to receivers, agree generally bigger is better. I was amazed when Randy Moss came out. The NFL had never seen anything like that, 6-5 with 4.3 speed. He was always open and a nightmare match-up, with king-sized, reliable hands.

But there are exceptions and still room in the game for smaller players. Hill is 5-10 and one of the best receivers in the league.

Personally, I think Smith is a better fit for Miami than Chase. But would be happy with any of the top three, plus Pitts.

Or he made a business decision knowing he was a sure-fire top ten pick, opted to avoid injury and being a 20 year old kid, made the choice he thought was best. On the field, this young man is a tough baller. I don’t judge his decision any more than Parsons and Sewell.
I'm getting tired of hearing so much about guys sitting out. College football is a professional league in every respect besides the fact that they don't pay their players.

If I was a guarenteed top pick and had an out like they did, I'd have made the same decision. I would feel very differently if players got paid and had the freedom to make money off their likeness.

Not about love for the game. When others are pulling in boatloads of money off me and I don't see a dime, he'll yeah I'm going to avoid having my labor exploited if I can.

Look at what happened to Tua. He came dangerously close to never seeing a dime off his football career despite being a household name for over 2 years before he was drafted. They put their bodies at risk every game.

These guys are on the cusp of getting guaranteed life changing money for them, and everyone around them. And u want them to play for zero dollars when Covid has given them a unique opportunity to not put that at risk?

Quite frankly I question the intelligence of any top guy that did play as much as I do "the love for the game" from those that sat out. I'm honestly being facetious there. The reality is everyone had to make the right choice for themselves and I judge no one.

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of hearing so much about guys sitting out. College football is a professional league in every respect besides the fact that they don't pay their players.

If I was a guarenteed top pick and had an out like they did, I'd have made the same decision. I would feel very differently if players got paid and had the freedom to make money off their likeness.

Not about love for the game. When other's are pulling in boatloads of money off me and I don't see a dime, he'll yeah I'm going to avoid having my labor exploited if I can.

Look at what happened to Tua. He came dangerously close to never seeing a dime off his football career despite being a household name for over 2 years before he was drafted. They put their bodies at risk every game.

These guys are on the cusp of getting guaranteed life changing money for them, and everyone around them. And u want them to play for zero dollars when Covid has given them a unique opportunity to not put that at risk?

Quite frankly I question the intelligence of any top guy that did play as much as I do "the love for the game" from those that sat out. I'm honestly being facetious there. The reality is everyone had to make the right choice for themselves and I judge no one.
Hell kids get paid in college. The best already get perks of a professional. They get $, cars, special treatment, etc...

Back
Top Bottom