Top Nfl Wrs On Passes Thrown At Or Behind The Line Of Scrimmage | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top Nfl Wrs On Passes Thrown At Or Behind The Line Of Scrimmage

The 4.5 average I was talking about was on passes behind the line of scrimage, hitch passes/screens. If you can get that on first down and put your team in 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 6 that's not bad. think you will sdee your share of those types of passes to Wlson, Grant and Amendola.

Oh I know, it wasnt a correction, I was just drawing a bigger picture... But still, you say thats not bad, and it isnt... but there were 5 players listed in the article and out of those 5, 4.5 is dead last...

Wilson: 160/20= 8 yards/target
Landry 133/30= 4.43 yards/target
Hill 125/20= 6.25 yards/target
Humphries 123/22= 5.59 yards/target
Tate 198/35= 5.66 yards/target

Now Im not a subscriber to PFF so I dont know how 4.5 stacks up league wide... Just that its dead last amongst those 5 and that except for total targets and total receptions, Landry dominates nothing...

Yay more screen passes.

I'm sure gase has busted a nut of the thought of having Albert and Amendola both is the slot....screen passes for days folks.

As long as the execution is on point, they keep the defense on their heels and gain positive yards, I'm looking forward to them.

I would like to think we won't be doing that as much, and when we do, it's for a different reason.

You can force the defense into different positioning with that type play, but it's no good when its your bread and butter.

When's the last time anyone on the team ran an honest to goodness 7 yard slant anyway?
Parker has run them but considering his big body / size he hasn’t been particularly effective at them. He needs to step up in a huge way.

Aside from the chiefs the other wr. On that list played on really bad teams.

Hmmm...I notice they have a pic of Landry, why do I get the feeling if Landry was still in Miami, and Wilson in KC, there would be instead a picture of Wilson up there.

I still think a big reason why we struggled with screens is because Pouncey gave away a lot of what was going to happen at the line.

Last edited:
Yay more screen passes.

I'm sure gase has busted a nut of the thought of having Albert and Amendola both is the slot....screen passes for days folks.
And the good news is that you dont need a top 15 QB to make those throws! So it is a genius move by our ofensive guru coach!

Albert Wilson is excellent as the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry was excellent as the screen receiver. Albert Wilson blocks his ass off when other guys are the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry (generally) blocked his ass off when asked to do the same. A lot of similarities there.

But here's the difference between the two: Albert Wilson has SPEED, and can run DEEP. Jarvis Landry does NOT, and can NOT.

Why does that matter?

The lack of deep speed meant that you could not sub Kenny Stills off the field, because he was the only true speed WR that the team had that they felt they could rely on. They did not start to gain more confidence in Jakeem Grant until much later in the year.

So we were STUCK with Kenny Stills on the field. Why? Screens are often called by the QB at the line of scrimmage based on a perceived alignment weakness. It's easy to audible into a screen. But that means you don't march your "screen personnel" out onto the field in order to execute a screen. If the defense knows it's coming, it's not hard to snuff out. So whatever personnel you have out there for the screen call has to be the personnel you run a lot of other stuff with.

Just speaking in broad strokes, with Jarvis Landry lacking speed, DeVante Parker not having the same level of speed or pure running ability as Kenny Stills, there had to be some fear about putting out personnel groupings that didn't include Kenny. And if you don't have Kenny-less personnel out there a whole lot, then you're not going to end up running a lot of Kenny-less screens.

That changes with Albert Wilson. He can be out there for screen passes. He can be out there to block for others running screen passes. He can be out there to run deep routes. So you can take Kenny Stills off the field. You don't have to live with Kenny's terrible blocking.

Back
Top Bottom