Tour De France winner Landis tests positive for drugs according to his team. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tour De France winner Landis tests positive for drugs according to his team.

Kdawg954 said:
SMH at this whole situation. And I went on ESPN and seen this big front page about "Shockingly Stunning" and "A sad day in cycling" . . all these bold quotes w/o any solid proof that Landis did anything wrong. And guess who was it blowing the story wayyyy out of proportion . . our good friend Mr. Pat Forde, the same person who tried to tarnish the Miami Hurricanes for a rap song done on personal time recorded over 2 years ago . . this guy tries to earn his stripes by giving "shock value" to a story.

And to you guys who believe he cheated . . please, these cases are extremely common in cycling . . and Europeans who have dominated the race for years are really pissed off at the streak of the Americans. Everyone believes Armstrong cheated and now Landis is the next victim. Mark my words, this whole case will be dismissed and nothing will happen. If anything he took something, whether its like a cortisone shot for his hip or I have heard he has a thyroid disorder and he takes medicine for that, these medicines caused his levels to raise, I would be extremely shocked if he took any kind of performance enchancing supplements knowingly.

They said a "sex hormone", hell his wife was looking pretty good, maybe Floyd took something to handle that after that performance in the time trial lol. They tried throwing Lance under the bus, but they were missing one thing . . proof, plenty of allegations and raised testorone levels, but thats not illegal . . Landis will be ok.

rather ironic that ESPN would immediately smear Landis, or anyone else who has allegations against them since they have been knee deep in defending Bonds all along. they gave him editorial control over his ridiculous reality show as well in the midst of this.

Report: Tests dispute Landis' testosterone claims

clear.gif

Tests show that some of the testosterone in Floyd Landis' system at the Tour de France was synthetic and not naturally produced by his body as he claimed, according to a newspaper report.

The French antidoping lab testing the American cyclist's samples determined that some of the hormone came from an external source, The New York Times reported on its Web site Monday night, citing a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the result.

The finding undermines the defense that Landis has stood behind since he tested positive for an elevated ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone following the 17th stage of the Tour de France, where he staged a stirring comeback in the Alps to make up for a poor performance the day before.

Looking and sounding defiant, Landis said Friday that his body's natural metabolism -- not doping of any kind -- caused the result, and that he would undergo tests to prove it.

"We will explain to the world why this is not a doping case but a natural occurrence," Landis said at a news conference in Madrid, Spain.

But after determining that Landis's ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone was more than twice the limit of 4:1, the lab performed a carbon isotope ratio test on the first of Landis's two urine samples, the person told the Times.

That test determines whether the testosterone it is natural or synthetic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/07/31/bc.cyc.landis.doping.ap/index.html

Looks like it's getting close to time to crucify Landis: the evidence is becoming very hard to refute. The one last chance Landis has is the backup urine sample which will be tested by Saturday, but the case against him now is stronger than before.

Specifically, the carbon isotope test showed some of the testosterone was synthetic and not natural - the ratio of carbon-13 to carbon-12 was 3.99 in Landis' case and anything above 3 is evidence the testosterone was not made in his body. Also, experts say this evidence is much harder to refute than the testosterone ratio, which was 11:1 (max allowed is 4:1).

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/02/s...&en=2fc43a3b867cc26d&ei=5094&partner=homepage

We're looking at something like a 80-90% probability this guy cheated now... serious letdown!

It's not looking good....hopefully Lance Armstrong did not cheat either....hard to be certain these days. :rolleyes: I say let them all use steroids at this point.

It's hard to think of whose story is worse Landis or Gaitlin.

PatsSuck456 said:
Gaitlin used roids too?

Just tested positive again and is facing a lifetime ban. His story was that a massage therapist rubbed it into his legs "unknowingly." Seriously is their a bigger joke in sports than when a guy says "I have never knowingly used steroids."

Dehydration is the latest possible reason offered for Tour de France winner Floyd Landis' elevated testosterone levels.

After testing began Thursday on the American cyclist's backup doping sample he showed a testosterone imbalance in a July 20 urine specimen lawyer Jose Maria Buxeda offered another explanation for the positive finding.

"Maybe a combination of dehydration, maximum effort," Buxeda said.

But that defense was flatly rejected by one of the world's top anti-doping officials.

"In 25 years of experience of testing testosterone … such a huge increase in the level of testosterone cannot be accepted to come from any natural factors," said Prof. Christiane Ayotte, director of Montreal's anti-doping laboratory.

"If dehydration was the case, then marathon runners would be testing positive all the time. Tennis players would be testing positive all the time.

Dehydration is a medical condition that requires hospitalization. It has been invoked in the past, but not one case to my knowledge has been successful in this argument."

Speaking at the Chatenay-Malabry laboratory, which is conducting the analysis, Buxeda said he expects the "B" sample to confirm the original positive result.

The results are expected Saturday.

However, Buxeda contends a second positive sample would not be enough to find Landis guilty. He also seemed to question the validity of the French lab, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee.

"I wouldn't say that they know. I would say they can presume. They do not have the certainty," Buxeda said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2270153

Way to go Landis, not only do you tarnish your own name, but throw more doubts on what Armstrong did (i believe Lance was clean, he was witch hunted WAY too much, they would have found something if he was doping, so imo Lance = clean, Landis = pathetic cheat)

Definetly not looking good for Landis, but its not a suprise that the B sample came up the same as the A, rather expected. Really doesn't change anything, Landis has to prove he didn't take anything, and it will be tuff but to help the sport he has to do just that . . this is a big blow for American cycling if he just settles here and not fight to the end (if he didn't take anything, by now its better to admit than go further if he did). Its rather weird that he was always clean, and all of a sudden his testorone levels jumped almost 3 times . . either he took something knowingly, tooked something accidently, I mean they are saying the test occured from the stage where he made up 8 minutes . . he obviously was depressed the day before, maybe he just accepted something not knowing what it was, I don't know, the full truth needs to be exposed tho . . and I wont call him a cheat until the proof is official.

Well, this is about as close to proving he cheated as you can get without that final arbitration hearing. It's more like 99% probability he cheated now. This is also the first time in Tour de France history a champ has been stripped of his title because of doping... man, way to go Landis..

However, I don't think this hurts Armstrong in any way as one poster feared might happen. There's really not much more anyone can try against Armstrong as he's retired (hence no more samples in the future) and no evidence in the past except allegations (and all these allegations have by now come out anyway).

CrunchTime said:
The American team has has been suspected of trying to bypass the drug tests before .They have been challenged nine times .

Hopefully this will result in the cleaning up of a sport which has largely lost its credibility.

Agree on the credibility part, but Landis was on Phonak, a Swiss team. Team Discovery (and US Postal before it) was in fact one of the few teams that lost no one to the doping purge.

Back
Top Bottom