Trade for Jay Williams, Release Daryl Gardener, and the Dolphins are not done yet! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Jay Williams, Release Daryl Gardener, and the Dolphins are not done yet!

qb..................

on the qb subject, there have been more than one BRAD JOHNSON rumours floating around the last month.

like him or not, he can walk right in and play if need be. it would allow us to dump the lethargic lucas and replace him with a possible starter if jay becomes hip boy or suffers some other significant injury.

I wouldn't bet on a Brad Johnson, but I wouldn't doubt it either. BJ and Norv really worked well together, and seemed to like each other. The part that doesn't match up is if they are trying to make room for BJ that would mean they knew he was going to be released, and I don't think they would know that before Tampa announces it.

I tend to doubt the theory that we're opening this much cap room "just in case someone slips out" I mean, why would we do that?

I'm still crossing my fingers hard and hoping for Sam Adams...though I would be happy with Brad Johnson...as a backup.

I think that CK is right, they can't be done yet. Waanstedt was trying to soften the blow on the news tonight likening the situation with DG with how the Patriots and Ravens won the Superbowl with better than mediocre talent, relying more on chemistry.

BTW, if anyone takes exception with the comment that Balt had inferior talent, remember that those are Wanny's words, I'm just the messenger.

I believe Wanny was talking about offense. Balty's D that year was made up of like 8 former first round draft picks.

I really hope we get Adams! Our d took a major hit 2night, Granted he probably wouldn't have made it through out the year, but when he was on the feild he was if not the most 1 of the 2 most menacing players on our d.

PS why did we trade for Williams? It has been said all offseason that he would most likely not make it through training camp with out getting cut. That the Panther were jsut making sure that Peppers was ready to start this year. Way to throw away a 4th round pick guys.

The Panthers were going to keep Williams, especially after Williams and the Panthers cleared the air and Williams decided to go to camp. Not sure why we gave a 4th round pick though....

And will nobody ever listen to me on this one? Does nobody even realize that Daryl Gardener was not slated to play his old position? How can he be an unstoppable force at DT when he's playing LDE????? How can he be a man among boys clogging the middle of the line when he's not on the middle of the line????

I think everyone in the wake of this whole release has completely lost their short term memory. They think of the old days. Daryl Gardener was going to play LDE on run downs and switch to DT on SOME OF THE OBVIOUS PASS DOWNS. There's not a whole lot of chance for DG to be a man among boys as just a run stuffing Kenny Mixon on roids at LDE. The positions are completely different in relation to the ball, the ball carrier, and where run plays are designed to go. This is why I've been suggesting DG's release for 3 weeks now. He's just not worth a $6 million cap figure at LDE on run downs.

And why was he switched to LDE on run downs instead of DT? Because DOCTORS basically flat out told the Dolphins the only way he might make it through the season is if he lost weight and moved to DE.

Originally posted by Dajesus
I really hope we get Adams! Our d took a major hit 2night, Granted he probably wouldn't have made it through out the year, but when he was on the feild he was if not the most 1 of the 2 most menacing players on our d.

PS why did we trade for Williams? It has been said all offseason that he would most likely not make it through training camp with out getting cut. That the Panther were jsut making sure that Peppers was ready to start this year. Way to throw away a 4th round pick guys.

I am also crossing my fingers that we get Adams.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The Panthers were going to keep Williams, especially after Williams and the Panthers cleared the air and Williams decided to go to camp. Not sure why we gave a 4th round pick though....

And will nobody ever listen to me on this one? Does nobody even realize that Daryl Gardener was not slated to play his old position? How can he be an unstoppable force at DT when he's playing LDE????? How can he be a man among boys clogging the middle of the line when he's not on the middle of the line????

I think everyone in the wake of this whole release has completely lost their short term memory. They think of the old days. Daryl Gardener was going to play LDE on run downs and switch to DT on SOME OF THE OBVIOUS PASS DOWNS. There's not a whole lot of chance for DG to be a man among boys as just a run stuffing Kenny Mixon on roids at LDE. The positions are completely different in relation to the ball, the ball carrier, and where run plays are designed to go. This is why I've been suggesting DG's release for 3 weeks now. He's just not worth a $6 million cap figure at LDE on run downs.

And why was he switched to LDE on run downs instead of DT? Because DOCTORS basically flat out told the Dolphins the only way he might make it through the season is if he lost weight and moved to DE.

Yes he was going to play LDE, but he would have had a great chance to stop the run. Look at last years 1st Jet game. CM made a living running sweeps to the left or strong side. Most teams have most of their running plays designed to flow to off LG or LT. That is why most D cordinators play their big pass rusher on the right side so they don't have to worry as much with run containment. Also his role as a pass rusher would have been huge on 3rd downs at DT. Both of our starters are strong run defenders, but real weak at passing the rusher. Again it all comes back to if he could have stayed healthy. If my instincts are right Buffalo will be the ones answering that question. DG has always carried big chips on his shoulders, I would almost garunte he takes less $ to get that chance to squish the fish twice a year.

Even if run plays flow toward LDE more than RDE, its still nothing compared to how DG got to affect EVERY PLAY at DT. Its like a third of his normal role. Like I said, Kenny Mixon on roids...holding up better than Mixon at the point of attack but worst than Mixon in space because its not DG's natural position.

And the coaches weren't going to move DG inside to DT on every passing down. They couldn't. They were handcuffed by his back problems. They were planning on putting Rob Burnett inside on a good portion of those pass downs this I know for a fact.

Like I said, his role had diminished to like a 3rd of what it usually is at DT. The chance to be dominant just wasn't there anymore. This is why the coaches didn't think twice about cutting him once they knew they could secure a solid DE from somewhere else. Not to mention in the few minicamps that Burnett had already been to, he had already started to look better than Daryl.

Gladiator

I hate to see Daryl go, but his back makes him unreliable. He definitely will play this season for someone...most likely in the AFC East.

It will be interesting where teams play him and how many games he plays before getting hurt.

Now if we could find a replacement at LG and not rely on Dixon and his ailments.

I still think we need to get some depth at OL but i wouldnt complain if we got Sam Adams or Kirkland

Does anyone know what Adams is asking for??? If he was asking to play for a reasonable price, wouldn't he already be signed?

Re: qb..................

Originally posted by clayton83
on the qb subject, there have been more than one BRAD JOHNSON rumours floating around the last month.

like him or not, he can walk right in and play if need be. it would allow us to dump the lethargic lucas and replace him with a possible starter if jay becomes hip boy or suffers some other significant injury.

I heard on the Bucs report, on the radio the other day that Brad Johnson has come out of the Bucs mini camps as the clear number 1 and Rob Johnson number 2....No chance of Brad getting cut as of this moment.

Back
Top Bottom