Trade for Jay Williams, Release Daryl Gardener, and the Dolphins are not done yet! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Jay Williams, Release Daryl Gardener, and the Dolphins are not done yet!

Originally posted by FinFan72
I still think we need to get some depth at OL but i wouldnt complain if we got Sam Adams or Kirkland
Kirkland is an Eagle and Adams seems to want a nice contract not min.

As far as remaining FA - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/fanball/20020717/fanball-offseasonplayermovem.html - ain't much left at QB and Freeman c/b another LR-cancer so he is likely out.

as for LBs http://nfl.kffl.com/teams/free_agents/2002/lb.shtml

why not Hambrick, Darren he is from the awesome Car D
:rolleyes: j/k

I'm quickly growing very tired of all this negative talk of DG, and DR! Can't we all just get focused and start to talk about an issue that needs more debate? There is one issue that just has not been discussed enough IMO. And this is the merit of Jay Fiedler as a legitimate starting NFL QB.!!! :lol

I'm doubting Sam Adams merely because money talks and Cincy/Seattle still have the best proposals out there on multi year deals. Not to mention if the Ravens can get just one of their contracts sorted out they would resign Adams in a heartbeat. Miami seems to be a very distant runner in that race.

However I do see this possibility. Darnay Scott. This guy has been consistent for years and doesn't have any serious health complications. Scott could be signed with a first year # lower then Orende's 1.5 million plus cap # (can't get exact numbers since the nflpa site is screwing up again) and we wouldn't have to worry about finding a replacement for Orende next year when he becomes a FA with bad toes and we are dealing with D.G's 2003 dead money cap # of 6.1 million.

Sam Adams we have no chance in hell though. This from Clayton:

July 19, 2002
Adams torn between Seahawks, Broncos
Unsigned Pro Bowl defensive tackle Sam Adams will wait until Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren and Broncos coach Mike Shanahan return from vacations to finalize his selection. He is figuring that he will decide by Thursday between the two teams. The Broncos have a slight edge because they are offering more money, and he is interested in staying in the AFC. But there is a hometown edge with the Seahawks -- the former Seahawk lives in Seattle and owns a semipro football team there. Also, while the Bengals have the biggest offer, Adams doesn't like the structure after three days of negotiations.

Originally posted by scotgif
I'm quickly growing very tired of all this negative talk of DG, and DR! Can't we all just get focused and start to talk about an issue that needs more debate? There is one issue that just has not been discussed enough IMO. And this is the merit of Jay Fiedler as a legitimate starting NFL QB.!!! :lol

Somebody needs to take you out back and shoot you!;) :lol:

I like the Darnay Scott idea.....if we can't strengthen the defense we should strengthen the team.....good idea van.

While I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing in a guy like Darnay Scott, I also don't think he would play for what we could offer. And I ALSO do not think that the FO intends on bringing another WR in, barring injury.

Let's face it, with all the names that have been out there this off-season at the WR position, don't you think that we would have at least signed ONE of them, if we REALLY thought it was a pressing need of the team?

Trust me, if Wanny REALLY wants to sign someone, they will find a way to get it done monetarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we sign any WR, I hope its Freeman, but thats just my opinion.

Another bigger issue on signing a WR now, is the fact that we have a new offense to learn. Don't you think we would have brought someone in much sooner than a week before camp opens, to learn this new offense? It ain't happnin'!!

I think it's pretty clear Miami's LDE spot is a question mark. Rob Burnett has experience, but if last year's productivity is an indication, he is a shadow of his former self. Williams, however much he played last year is no more than depth. Opponents are going to be running the ball at that side of the line. If the defense shifts to compensatefor the weakness on that side of the line, that will leave holes elsewhere. Y'all are gonna find out just how good a defensive mind Wannstedt has.

Originally posted by scotgif
While I wouldn't mind seeing us bringing in a guy like Darnay Scott, I also don't think he would play for what we could offer. And I ALSO do not think that the FO intends on bringing another WR in, barring injury.

Let's face it, with all the names that have been out there this off-season at the WR position, don't you think that we would have at least signed ONE of them, if we REALLY thought it was a pressing need of the team?

Trust me, if Wanny REALLY wants to sign someone, they will find a way to get it done monetarily.

Actually the phins were interested fleetingly in McCardell but didn't have the cap room to do anything. We now have approx 1.5 million to spend on a contract for this season. That's just enough to fit a half decent contract under for first year salary.

Originally posted by TigerJ
I think it's pretty clear Miami's LDE spot is a question mark. Rob Burnett has experience, but if last year's productivity is an indication, he is a shadow of his former self. Williams, however much he played last year is no more than depth. Opponents are going to be running the ball at that side of the line. If the defense shifts to compensatefor the weakness on that side of the line, that will leave holes elsewhere. Y'all are gonna find out just how good a defensive mind Wannstedt has.

I think Burnett's productivity slid last seson due to the series of minor injuries he had... all indications from mini-camps is that he looks great. We'll find out for sure in a few days when the pads go on :jumper: He should be very good on running downs... if they rotate him and Bowens, it shouldn't be a "weakness"... also, ther is a huge chance that Ogun will push for a starting spot... I'd love to see him get fierce and take everyone off guard!

Darnay Scott would be a good option for the present and future but it must be noted that we'd probably have to release someone, be it Oronde Gadsden or James McKnight or Dedric Ward, in order to make room for Darnay...and I'm not talking about cap terms. As crazy as it seems I think that James McKnight and Dedric Ward are the least likely candidates to get cut...

I honestly believe Darnay is about as talented as Keenan McCardell and he's not that old either. Oronde's contract is up after this season so if we cut Oronde there wouldn't really be much of a cap hit this year (we'd save money overall) and there would be none next year. Whereas McKnight has only completed one year of what is I believe a 5 year contract, and Dedric Ward I think signed a contract extension that has him playing for us for the next 3 years (counting this one).

Am I crazy? Why wouldn't we get rid of the least talented WR to make room for Darnay (which would be Dedric Ward or Jeff Ogden)? Well, honestly its because of Norv's system. Norv really does NOT use 3 WRs in his system. He has 2 WRs playing together pretty constantly. In that way its nothing like Chan's 3 WRs system. So our 3rd WR is basically just a sometime player who is there as injury insurance. Our 4th WR hardly ever plays, and is there for injury insurance. I don't know about you, but I truly am not comfortable with having Oronde Gadsden with his salary, and James McKnight with HIS salary, be our 3rd and 4th WRs because in total barring injury they would have the opportunity to combine for MAYBE 25 catches.

Reasons not to let OG go: He really is one of the best in the NFL at using the sidelines, and with one on one coverage in the endzone. He's been on the team a while and possibly knows a lot of the players and is friends with them and it might hurt chemistry a bit.

Reasons to let OG go: Darnay Scott is the better option for the future. No 2003 cap hit for letting OG go. Probably saves us the most room in 2002. Questionable just how much of a "team" player OG really is considering his constant endorsements of his clothing company ON THE FIELD, as well as his publicly griping about not being just HANDED the starting job opposite Chris Chambers (which he did do and I know it pissed ME off...). Has bad toes and no speed.

Did I mention OG had offseason surgery on his shoulder and its questionable as to whether it could affect his performance?

Also one more reason NOT to release OG is....well, this is his contract year. Its his tryout season to try and get a new contract out of the Phins or another team. He's never hit free agency, he's been an exclusive rights player his whole career. He strikes me as the kind of WR that would work super-duper-extra hard to be extremely impressive in his contract year (which is why I kind of question just how much of a team player he is). But its a shame that Darnay Scott, Oronde Gadsden, and Chris Chambers couldn't play together more often.

Well I believe cutting O.G would make the most sense. However this offseason is turning into one that doesn't make sense at all :)

Reason to cut O.G. Bum toes. FA in 2003. Can't get Seperation from CB's. Lack of Speed.

Back
Top Bottom