Trade for Tristan Wirfs ? (Just an idea) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Tristan Wirfs ? (Just an idea)

What would you be willing to give up for Wirfs?

• 1st Round Pick

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • 2nd and Austin Jackson

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • 3rd and Austin Jackson

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Not willing to trade for him

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
I agree. To me, it made more sense last year. To trade for him this year would mean you'd have to include Ajax in the deal or cut ties with Armstead because you can't pay all 3 and have one guy sit, nor would i expect any one of them be ok sitting.

In a perfect world, you'd put Wirfs back to his best position RT (and Tua's blindside) and Ajax at LT. But Armstead's restructured deal has a significant dead cap in 2024 and several additional void years. Plus, they just spent a draft pick on Paul. That's a lot of capital investment before taking into account what it would take to trade for Wirfs and pay him long-term.
AJ is not a LT and I wouldnt trust him there for a second.. He found a home at RT where he has become a decent player. Need to see if Paul can become LT of future. No way paying Wirfs 30 mil plus draft picks.

I was on board with this vote if it was like, a 2nd round pick for him. Or even a future first. But to immediately saddle the choices with something as absolutely braindead as trading OUR ONLY YOUNG GOOD TACKLE AND IMMEDIATELY CREATING A HOLE AGAIN is... its impressive even for the general board.

Uh...no
Need to do a better job of retaining players, plus it wouldn't help the cap situation

When you guys post these types of post with high grade signings, I would also like a counter as to how we pay for these players. The last 2 years 5 players took up 170 millions of our cap. We just got that down to 3 players taking 80 million of our cap and one of those come off June 1st. And we're still up against the cap. So show a plan when introducing these types of posts if you're don't mind.

a 3 time pro bowler and an all pro in the last 3 seasons, he hasn't missed a snap in the past 4 seasons... 4,269 snaps in a row!
Is he better than AJAXX, It's so obvious he's so much better.
Is he worth $25 million for a left tackle/right tackle, not the way this team is built with our bargain basement olinemen. It's sad that the oline will again be our downfall.
Player has played 4200 snaps, never injured

Walks onto the Miami practice field and tears an ACL

Feels like what would happen

You have Armstead and Jackson at tackle. You just drafted Paul in the 2nd round. You have Kion Smith as a depth tackle and if something happens to him you still have Kendall Lamm around too. Then you have Ryan Hayes and Batron Matos as developmental prospects. Forgot to mention Driscoll could play some tackle in a pinch if needed too.

I think Miami's tackles will be just fine, especially if injuries are kept at a reasonable level.

Newsflash - Austin Jackson played well last season and is not considered a draft bust. He made significant progress under Coach Butch Barry and there is good logic to suggest that this can continue. Wirfs is a real talent but do you honestly expect Tampa will try to accommodate this? This is a laughable B/S fantasy idea. Miami has a string of really good players to re-sign for the future. These players include Tua Tagovailoa, Jaelan Phillips, Jevon Holland and Jaylen Waddle. Keeping all of these key drafted players for the future is the priority, not scampering and overpaying to acquire Wirfs.
been saying it for months, Austin Jackson will be at least elite at his position this year.

He’s got so much talent to work with, and now his physique has been sculpted to match.

Unstoppable imo.

been saying it for months, Austin Jackson will be at least elite at his position this year.

He’s got so much talent to work with, and now his physique has been sculpted to match.

Unstoppable imo.
I don't know if I would go as far as saying elite. I would settle for somewhere between good and very good.

In my dream world Jackson would be very good at right tackle and the rookie Paul would be good enough to handle the left tackle job for the first 8 to 10 games. Then I would unwrap Armstead and let him play the final stretch of the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. If Armstead is going only be good for 7 or 8 games, it will be better for those to come down the stretch than at the beginning of the season. I wouldn't be upset if the team could find a way to IR Armstead for the first half of the season with a non-existing injury. Tell Armstead to just take that time to get strong and healthy for the final run... it would be the NFL's version of load management.

Last edited:
I don't know if I would go as far as saying elite. I would settle for somewhere between good and very good.

In my dream world Jackson would be very good at right tackle and the rookie Paul would be good enough to handle the left tackle job for the first 8 to 10 games. Then I would unwrap Armstead and let him play the final stretch of the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. If Armstead is going only be good for 7 or 8 games, it will be better for thos to come down the stretch than at the beginning of the season.
Interesting strategy, perhaps play armstead in the tougher matchups

Unstoppable imo.
I think the fact that, for the first time in his career, he has consistently received actual NFL level coaching made a difference, as well.

And that he is in an ideal scheme fit for his talents.
As far as physical attributes, I believe they would be applicable in any scheme. He does have good range and quickness for a man his size, though, which as you point out are a "must" for zone/wide zone.

Back
Top Bottom