Trade Jordan Phillips to Dallas | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Jordan Phillips to Dallas

Watching this guy, he's lost out there. Technique and effort are both bad. Waste of a roster spot. Not an NFL player.

Godchaux is easily already the better player. The coaches are right about this one.

Not sure I would flop Phillips all the way out of the league. That’s quite the depths. Certainly too much Happy patience and faith around here. I’ve been absent for a long time. Upon sampling a Phillips thread today I saw a comparison to the Billy Turner situation. Yep. Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, the same bunch.

6-5 1/2 at defensive tackle lends itself to erratic technique and effort. I’m convinced for 50 years. I emphasized it upon that 2015 draft. The intention can be wonderful. Meanwhile it’s like the Mike Tyson line of everyone having a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Tall defensive tackles have a plan until they get attacked in the legs. Then instead of a boxer dropping his hands it’s a defensive tackle making one odd choice after another to protect those legs. Nothing is inexplicable when frustration and self preservation mix.

Then all the comparisons are to later blooming defensive tackles who were the ideal 6-2 or 6-3 or thereabouts. Never told. Tape guys fooled again when they miss the big picture.

6-5 or upwards at defensive tackle is simply a low percentage move. Again, the idea is to steal a few percent here and there with astute decisions, not to require this outlier to pay off, and that outlier to pay off. I've never understood the fascination with that. Sit back and allow stupid simple to pay off. It's actually fun.

* The Godchaux types have thrived recently. Numerous mid round bargains. Fortunately we may have taken our turn. Devalued due to lack of ideal bulk and run stopping orneriness in college. That’s back stage in the pros, where gap shooting quarterback chasing frenzy is prized on the interior. Godchaux has enough instincts to make himself smaller than he is during the chase, and his vision and hand usage are excellent at the point of intersection and decision.

Not a star but very serviceable.

While here I may as well pin some other observations. I’m not going to climb one thread after another looking for a match:

* Charles Harris looked leggy and less than explosive. Very evident how he flunked some of the analytic models. He got to the outside shoulder when the tackle allowed it but that second step simply wasn’t memorable or adjustable. Sort of monotone. I kept thinking how much more dramatic the same rushes would have been if Derek Barnett had been substituted. Dip and finish. Granted, Barnett was gone. TJ Watt was not. That’s the type of dynamic versatile player the Dolphins needed, IMO. Harris is a vastly improved version of Dion Jordan but mostly I expect he’ll be like a JuWaun James type…certainly acceptable but you’re losing ground to the league as a whole and certainly the sharper teams by settling for that level in the first round. Vic Beasley was a premium pick for the other team. His skill set is markedly more explosive, which is why he aced the analytics leaving Kentucky despite huge number of subjective doubters.

* Adam Gase might try to pretend a little bit. That post game presser was as dour and lifeless as anything I remember. It was like he just crawled out from under that 16 ton anvil from Monty Python’s Flying Circus. George Wilson during the 3 win season of 1969 had fire and optimism aplenty. I wanted a young coach and supported the Gase hire but I guess this is one of the moody risks.

Woe is me in August?

* The situational guidelines pointed to major likelihood of regression. Obviously that wasn’t going to be the offseason consensus on any fan forum. Better left alone. On another site I saw one guy attacked for picking 9-7. My 2017 forecast was 8-8 before last season finished and I’ll stick with that. I really don’t believe in day to day variables. How sharp are the people atop the organization? How good is the roster as a whole? Those are the arrows. Everything in recent seasons has pointed to middle of the road, which is why I selected 8 wins, then 8 again, then 9, and then 9 again over the past four seasons. I hit the first two, missed by 3, then missed by 1. Total of 4, averaging 1 per season. Probably not tops among anyone who has participated each of those years, but likely in the top handful. Some friends and I had that contest league wide in Las Vegas for 14 seasons from ’95 to ’08. Among 12-14 guys every year I won 4 times. Not bad. Handsome return. We weren’t doing it for fun or fantasy. The adjusters often miss by 4 games or more in any given season. That’s not a criticism. It’s earned.

* I’m not a fan of Cutler’s personality and last fall I was not a fan of his announced allegiance. I could certainly understand Dolphin fans booing him every game as consequence. However, it’s actually a more interesting season in many respects. For too long we’ve accepted the same tendencies and applied the familiar rationalizations. Now there’s a guy with mostly the same basic ability level — a Crowd quarterback — but naturally there will be variances along the way, not all of them obvious beforehand. Looking forward to it.

trading Phillips doesn't make sense.

1) we're not loaded at DT
2) we wouldn't be getting anything for him right now.

he's still on a (cheap) rookie contract and at worst he's depth.

You'd be lucky to get a bag of Ruffles for Phillips.

At this point, Goddaux and Vincent Taylor needed to be getting all the reps.

Crawford wasn't going to be a starter at DT, anyways. He will probably bounce around from LDE on base formations to possibly inside on passing downs.

Collins is the starting 3-tech and they have Paea and Thornton for the 1-Tech.

Asking a 3rd for Phillips is crazy.

The Cowboys are not going to trade with anyone, especially the Dolphins (Of course he felt he needed to take that expected swipe at the Dolphins at the end).
What does he mean ESPECIALLY the Dolphins? Have we wronged the Cowboys in the past in some trade? Hell, they got Jason Garrett from us and he's still their coach and as far as I'm concerned, they still owe us about 19 players for us taking Jeff Ireland off of their hands.

Seems to me that every player on the Fins has already been cut or traded. I don't know a single player on our team. In theory. ;) -sarcasm-

I can't recall being a major supporter of the pick right off the bat. It is more frustrating now. This was Hickey pulling a Jeff and trying to outsmart the rest of the league. Granted many of the picks after him also have not carved out huge roles with their teams. If the two rookies continue to perform Gase may pull the trigger and cut him. He established last year he will keep the best players who bring their A game everyday.

Jordan is a guy who hasn't figured out that his athletic abaility will only get him so far. he lacks the will to fight and win on every play. A shame because if he balled out it makes Suh's life much easier.

What does he mean ESPECIALLY the Dolphins? Have we wronged the Cowboys in the past in some trade? Hell, they got Jason Garrett from us and he's still their coach and as far as I'm concerned, they still owe us about 19 players for us taking Jeff Ireland off of their hands.

LOL

Watching this guy, he's lost out there. Technique and effort are both bad. Waste of a roster spot. Not an NFL player
Smh... The keyword is consistency... This guy can be an elite DT with natural talent and power alone but he needs to be more consistent. But stating his technique is bad is nonsense.... I would say his technique is bad at times but once again going back to consistency or even we can question his passion to play football.

His technique is bad at least 50% of the time.....his flashes are good for 2-3 plays a year in which he makes any significant impact.

Back
Top Bottom