Trade possibility? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade possibility?

I don’t think any NFL team is going to give up a top 10 pick for Waddle. That being said, if this trade really did happen I would want us to draft Joe Alt over Bowers as well. Alt should be on the board unless the Patriots do not draft a QB. I’m guessing it goes Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison Jr, Nabers.
Alt? Is that his entire last name or short for like, Altenberger or something?

Yes... this is ONLY speculation... flying monkeys.

I saw a piece from a Giants oriented board that suggested they should be SERIOUSLY interested if the Dolphins make Waddle available. The Giants are thought to be considering taking a WR at #6 (if they don't go QB).

So... I was wondering... if the Giants were to offer that #6 for Waddle... and Bowers (who a lot of you are interested in) is still on the Board, would you do this deal? Swap out our 1B WR for a supposedly NFL ready star TE?

To me, this seems like a way to replicate the Kelce/Hill combination that KC had... as well as a way to minimize some of our upcoming cap difficulties.

I'm not saying 'yes'... only that it might come up if the Giants are looking for immediate help for Jones.
Yes, if the Giants offer the 6th pick in the 2024 draft for Waddle, take it. I like Waddle and consider him to be a legitimate starting NFL #2 or #3 WR, but he is more of a role player than a game changer.
In theory the #6 overall pick of the draft should be a game changing player.

Alt? Is that his entire last name or short for like, Altenberger or something?
His last name is just Alt. He is the best LT prospect in the draft this year. He is 6’8”, 322lbs and will turn 21 in a few days. He had 21 starts at LT for Notre Dame and was an unanimous 1st team All-American last year. He played TE and DE in High-School, so he is very athletic.

IF I were to do this trade,it would be with an eye on a star MLB.

I don’t see it happening from both teams perspective though

I dont think the Giants would make that trade. I would rather have the number 6 pick than Waddle and then have to give Waddle a massive contract next year.

Maybe the Bears could be a possibility. I have seen them taking a WR at number 9 in some mock drafts although again if I was them I would rather have the number 9 pick and have a WR on the cheap for the next 4 years than have to pay Waddle next year.

Are you comparing St. Brown to Hill? I hope not. And yeah, Hill was drafted in the 5th round, who woulda thought? I stand by my statement that they do not grow on trees...
Prestar Attencion!!
I never compared Hill to St. Brown. I commented on your “players like Waddle don’t grow on trees”. Ironically, same draft as Waddle, the Lions picked a player in St. Brown in the 4th round who is just as good as Waddle and the Lions didn’t have to include a future 1st round draft pick.

PS, thanks for bringing Hill’s name into the conversation, as he was a 5th round pick. I did a little research and here is the following list of some of the NFL’s top Wr’s and what round they were taken.

Adams 2nd round
Diggs 5th round
AJ Brown 2nd round
Kupp. 3rd round
Samuel 2nd round
Hill 5th round
St. Brown 4th round
McLaurin 3rd round
Metcalf 2nd round
Collin’s 3rd round
Nacua 5th round
Pickens 2nd round

Apparently a lot of other GM’s can find Waddle type of players falling off trees 😂 but our GM is the only one that can’t and has to pay up for 2 (Waddle & Hill) and include future first rounders!! 🤦‍♂️

Prestar Attencion!!
I never compared Hill to St. Brown. I commented on your “players like Waddle don’t grow on trees”. Ironically, same draft as Waddle, the Lions picked a player in St. Brown in the 4th round who is just as good as Waddle and the Lions didn’t have to include a future 1st round draft pick.

PS, thanks for bringing Hill’s name into the conversation, as he was a 5th round pick. I did a little research and here is the following list of some of the NFL’s top Wr’s and what round they were taken.

Adams 2nd round
Diggs 5th round
AJ Brown 2nd round
Kupp. 3rd round
Samuel 2nd round
Hill 5th round
St. Brown 4th round
McLaurin 3rd round
Metcalf 2nd round
Collin’s 3rd round
Nacua 5th round
Pickens 2nd round

Apparently a lot of other GM’s can find Waddle type of players falling off trees 😂 but our GM is the only one that can’t and has to pay up for 2 (Waddle & Hill) and include future first rounders!! 🤦‍♂️

You can find star players at literally every position that have massively outperformed their draft position.

This isn’t necessarily some failure of scouting … it’s players can develop at different rates, coaching and environment also a huge factor.

Moving Hill would be nearly impossible... it would cause a HUGE dead cap issue. The only way we'd do this is if we were tearing down.
I agree with the cap hit, however that can managed with some restructuring of some core players and cutting Baker.

I can see where we can take the hit and still have at least 17M available without committing to Tua in an extension. Resigning certain players could be done outside of Wilkens which I believe 25M is too much for him and feels like a Suh contract.

I enjoy watching Hill, but 30M/50M for a receiver seems problematic for a interests and I see Waddle as being more of a long term player for us.

Frankly it all comes down to what would Hill fetch in a trade? And who are we targeting?

Prestar Attencion!!

Adams 2nd round
Diggs 5th round
AJ Brown 2nd round
Kupp. 3rd round
Samuel 2nd round
Hill 5th round
St. Brown 4th round
McLaurin 3rd round
Metcalf 2nd round
Collin’s 3rd round
Nacua 5th round
Pickens 2nd round

Adams- in 2014, there were 8 WRS taken before Adam's. 2 can be argued are Waddle equivalent. Mike Evans and possibly O'Dell Beckhham JR. Out of the top 10, only 4 if you include Brandin Cook's are considered good to great. 4/10 is not a high success rate.

Steffon Diggs- 18 WRS were taken before Diggs. Out of those 18, only Amari Cooper and Tyler Locket would you consider comparable. 3/18 is not a high success rate

AJ Brown- 3 WRS taken before Brown
Depending your opinion of Deebo, determine whether the was 1/4 or 2/4. I say 1/4 personally. But to give you the benefit I'll say 2/4.

Just those 3 alone, 8 out of 32 WRS taken amounted to pretty good status. 25% is not a high success rate so far.

Cooper Kupp- 6 WRS taken before Cupp, with the best one being Ju Ju.
Man this draft class was 1/7.

We are now at 9/39

Deebo samuel- we discussed. 0/2 on WRS drafted before him.

Tyreke Hill- 17 WRS drafted before him. Michael Thomas at 47, Tyler Boyd at 55 are the only notable WRS of that draft class prior to Hills selection. So that's 3/18.

Our total is now 12/57

Amon ra st Brown- 16 WRS taken before him. This was arguably the best draft class of all those mentioned
Waddle/ Chase/ d. Smith/ Nicole Collins.
Including Brown, this 5/17.

Total now at 17/74

Mclaurin- great class. This includes Metcalf and Deebo. Since those #'s are factored In for AJ Brown, I will focus on WRS taken between brown and McLaurin.
2/6 including Metcalf.

Total is now 19/80.

Puka.Nakua? Too early to tell, but guys like Reed and Flowers may be on the list.

I am not doing Pickens. Not sure why he would even be listed as Waddle like.

So, with your examples.

By the time those WRS were drafted, the success rate of getting a Waddle like WR, being generous was 19/80 or 23%

Or in other words, 61 times, out of 80, a GM thought they were getting a Waddle, but got a dude.

23% lines more with the they don't grow on trees narrative.

Or again, GMS had a 77% fail rate on trying to get that gem Wr

Sure, you can find the diamond in the rough, but it's not easy. There's a reason there's only so many WRS taken after mid 2nd round can be listed on our list.

Though I think that is a very dumb move on the Giants side considering they can get probably most to any receiver in the draft they want, on a rookie contract much longer then Waddle, but if it were real...

I like Waddle, and I'm one of the people that came out earlier saying there is no way Waddle should be traded, BUT a 6 overall for Waddle?

SORRY!

200 (1).gif

I would rather trade Hill (after a restructure) and pick up a first, a second and more. I know Hill is better than Waddle at this point, but if we are seriously addressing the future CAP issue…,,,

You can find star players at literally every position that have massively outperformed their draft position.

This isn’t necessarily some failure of scouting … it’s players can develop at different rates, coaching and environment also a huge factor.
The list I made isn’t just 1 or 2 players.. There is 13 of some of the best current players in the league at their position and non drafted in the 1st round. While I agree that some players develop at different rates, Waddle was drafted early in the Dolphins rebuild, no? They were not a playoff team needing one specific star player.

I was just responding to someone saying that a player like Waddle doesn’t just grow on trees. In fact there are a number of players similar in production to Waddle that don’t cost (Opportunity Cost) as much as Waddle did to the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom