Training Camp Preview: Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Preview: Miami Dolphins

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
Fanball.com's funny Training Camp Preview

http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.2531

I stumbled across this "preview"..unfortunately, it has some real dumb comments. I don't know what Court E. Mann is smoking.

My favorites are...

"On defense, Miami lost two key components to its vaunted secondary in safety Brock Marion (Lions) and nickel back Jamar Fletcher."

SAY WHA?! :roflmao:

And this gem..

"The Dolphins quietly suffered some serious losses in free agency and salary-cap driven cuts. Along the offensive line, Miami said goodbye to tackle Todd Wade, guards Todd Perry, Mark Dixon, and Jaime Nails, and center Tim Ruddy."

Suffered?..I like that kind of suffering.

It may be called "Fanball" but there were no Dolphin fans on their writing staff. To mention the secondary "losses" without mentioning either Howard's or Edward's signings or that a former starter, Freeman, was still there is irresponsible news reporting. The same is true regarding the Oline where three free agent signings and three draft picks combine with five hold overs to provide more depth and competition than Miami has seen in years.

Gladsadmad said:
"The Dolphins quietly suffered some serious losses in free agency and salary-cap driven cuts. Along the offensive line, Miami said goodbye to tackle Todd Wade, guards Todd Perry, Mark Dixon, and Jaime Nails, and center Tim Ruddy."
Until we see your new OL perform when season starts, he could be right ya know?

Justasportsfan said:

You are wrong. A man isn't suffering if you stab him in the leg if the leg is already dead and festering.

Alright don't get me wrong I definitely agree with you guys on certain things, but a little perspective please. Brock Marion was in the pro bowl...in 2003! He signed an 8 figure contract with the Lions, and all things aside his loss for cap and/or criminal reasons was indeed a loss. I mean Wannstedt even admitted that the position caused him concern. Antuan Edwards is a retread never-was player who can't stay healthy. He wasn't the heralded replacement/upgrade for Marion, he was the guy brought in for cheap depth. Wannstedt did say in the next breath that even though he was worried about the position, he now isn't because Yeremiah Bell has come on and now it looks like they have a nice, tight, intense competition going on at the position. But still, if the head coach himself was worried, I think Fanball has a right to print it as a "loss"

And as far as the OL we did suffer a loss, a big one at that, one that we may sorely miss at least until Carey grows up a bit, and that is Todd Wade. He was our undisputed best lineman...best run blocker, and we lost him for cap reasons make no mistake. We didn't think anyone was going to pony up what he wanted and we got surprised. We pissed him off and once he got the offer from Houston (which happened to be almost exactly the offer his agent faxed to the Dolphins a month or so prior to free agency) I doubt he even gave us a chance to match. That was a loss. Make no mistake. Vernon Carey does not fill that void, not in year 1, and neither does John St Clair, and certainly not an injured Damion McIntosh.

Now, that said, there's absolutely no excuse for calling Jamar Fletcher, Tim Ruddy, Jamie Nails, or Todd Perry "losses" None. How in the heck can you say we lost a key part in the secondary with Jamar Fletcher, when we TRADED HIM AWAY, because we'd already signed his UPGRADED REPLACEMENT. I mean thats just inexcusable, plain and simple. And its kind of funny that none of our "losses" on the OL other than Wade, have been picked up by any other team. Guess it wasn't much of a "loss" huh?

Thanks for pointing out the article though. Was a good read. You had some good points with Fletcher and most of the OL too. Good job.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
You are wrong. A man isn't suffering if you stab him in the leg if the leg is already dead and festering.
but replacing a dead leg w/ a peg leg isn't much of a leg is it? :D

The Dolphins couldn't even pull off signing an offensive tackle without it blowing up in their collective face. Miami thought they'd found a gem in San Diego tackle Damion McIntosh and signed him to a long-term deal worth $23 million. Days later they found out that he needed ankle surgery that threatened to keep him out of the entire 2004 season. Having already committed to McIntosh and losing leverage with his management, the Fins were forced to rework the deal while suffering yet another public relations blemish.

This is splitting hairs, but the Phins were not forced to rework the deal. They had the right of it when they pointed out to McIntosh's agent that McIntosh had the responsibility to disclose any significant injury, prior to signing the contract, as was written in the contract itself. But McIntosh's agent likely would have taken it to arbitration anyway, and I believe the cap figure would have counted until the arbitration was done, and all in all it would have smattered a bit more egg on Miami's face if they just did away with McIntosh, so they gave him a crap $300k signing bonus/payoff, and went about their business as if they never signed him (signed St. Clair, drafted Carey).

Ironically, Ricky followed up his lowest production since 2000 with his "highest" offseason. Fantasy owners with R-Dub in their keeper leagues, however, need not fret about his recreational habits. According to reports, this is Williams' second substance-abuse infractionâ€â€meaning he will incur a fine equivalent to his salary for four games. He will not be suspended unless he violates the policy a third time, so we can only hope that the workhorse back is cleaning up his act. Perhaps the disappearance of those Rastafarian dreads is a tell-tale sign.

Now thst **** is funny. Come on, you gotta admit it.

BTW overall seems to be a pretty even-handed report they have a lot of things right its just weird that they are soooo off base with the Fletcher thing. We do lack depth and experience along the offensive line, especially since we got rid of Nails, Perry, and Ruddy. If the unit fails, our new style attack with Feeley and Boston to go with Chambers, Ricky, and McMichael, will not get off the ground.

ckparrothead said:
Alright don't get me wrong I definitely agree with you guys on certain things, but a little perspective please. Brock Marion was in the pro bowl...in 2003! He signed an 8 figure contract with the Lions, and all things aside his loss for cap and/or criminal reasons was indeed a loss. I mean Wannstedt even admitted that the position caused him concern. Antuan Edwards is a retread never-was player who can't stay healthy. He wasn't the heralded replacement/upgrade for Marion, he was the guy brought in for cheap depth. Wannstedt did say in the next breath that even though he was worried about the position, he now isn't because Yeremiah Bell has come on and now it looks like they have a nice, tight, intense competition going on at the position. But still, if the head coach himself was worried, I think Fanball has a right to print it as a "loss"

Brock Marion made the probowl on name alone. Last year he was a big reason why the passing game wasn't as good as it was previous years. Rick Spielman even said it wasn't his loss of speed for the reason of letting him go. It was a "loss" in the technical sense of the word, but that is about it.

ckparrothead said:
And as far as the OL we did suffer a loss, a big one at that, one that we may sorely miss at least until Carey grows up a bit, and that is Todd Wade. He was our undisputed best lineman...best run blocker, and we lost him for cap reasons make no mistake. We didn't think anyone was going to pony up what he wanted and we got surprised. We pissed him off and once he got the offer from Houston (which happened to be almost exactly the offer his agent faxed to the Dolphins a month or so prior to free agency) I doubt he even gave us a chance to match. That was a loss. Make no mistake. Vernon Carey does not fill that void, not in year 1, and neither does John St Clair, and certainly not an injured Damion McIntosh.

Miami put up big contracts for both Woody and Tait and yet they didn't sign Todd Wade. Miami could of signed him before last year. They could of signed after last year, however they didn't. Todd Wade did give Miami to match the deal with Houston and Miami declined.

ckparrothead said:

I know what you're saying..Marion was a solid player and his knowledge of the defense will be missed. I'm sure that Freeman, Bell or Edwards (who ever replaces Marion) will be burned at some point, but I hope it won't be as bad as Marion's disasterous blunder that led to an 80 yard bomb to Troy Brown in OT against the Patriots. Marion falling for the pump fake and letting Brown get behind him was inexusable..especially for a "pro Bowl" player. There were several reasons why the Fins lost that game, but there's still no excuse.

Justasportsfan said:

CK said it best. If these guys were such "losses", why..oh why..has no one picked them up except for Wade? Anything is an upgrade over Perry, Ruddy and Nails. It's becoming obvious.

If you are right and the new o-lineman are no better than the old ones, Does that mean that no one would've signed Jeno James and no one would've drafted Vernon Carey?

Gladsadmad said:
CK said it best. If these guys were such "losses", why..oh why..has no one picked them up except for Wade? Anything is an upgrade over Perry, Ruddy and Nails. It's becoming obvious.

If you are right and the new o-lineman are no better than the old ones, Does that mean that no one would've signed Jeno James and no one would've drafted Vernon Carey?
You mean, just like no one tried to trade for Boston for more than a 6th? :D That's another issue.

Just beause the fins picked up guys like Mcintosh or St. Clair doesn't mean they are future probowlers either.

Jeno James is good but Carey will have a lot to learn. He may be good someday but he may have to take his lumps in his first year.

Back
Top Bottom