Training Camp Updates - Day 7 | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Updates - Day 7

I thought Alf did a good job and I posted most of his tweets, all kidding aside.
I don't have to post the tweets was just trying to help out.
I thought I posted an equal amount negative and positive about both QB's
At one point Fitzpatrick was ahead and still may be but Rosen did seem to get better

hey bud, we appreciate the hell out of you and @Banksy @Albert Romano who's done this in the past. like i said in chat, i did it one or two days and had like 6 tabs open refreshing away, its a load. noone ever said your posting was bias'ed just the people whos tweets you posted lol. Kind of like it kind of offended me that first day that a couple people told you not to post blomar so you didnt. he's a jackass, and def bias, but for the most part he's allways been one of the most consistent tweeters during camp in the past.

You do you homie and 98% of us will hang on every update.

I thought the kid looked great last year...accuracy improved greatly during camp (last year) and that ball exploded off the foot.

This. It’s been a while since I haven’t been nervous about literally every field goal. Once Sanders got in a groove last year, I was pretty comfy

Probably j-off as I didn't look at him prior to the draft.

Rosen's accuracy chart (from SIS) illuminated my concerns about him. To quickly summarize, he was better than any of the top 2018 or 2019 QB's from 11-20 yards; however, throws 1-10 yards had him below average, and he was the worst on throws of 20+ yards. Hard to win when you're not super accurate in the short game, especially if you're that bad at throwing the deep ball.

Anyway, this leads into my question about the checkdowns: are they afterthoughts, or is he quickly hitting backs in stride, giving them room to run after the catch? Brady is among the best, if not the absolute best, at the latter. For Rosen, I get the sense that it's the former, but I haven't seen anyone say it explicitly.

Last edited:

Rosen's accuracy chart (from SIS) illuminated my concerns about him. To quickly summarize, he was better than any of the top 2018 or 2019 QB's from 11-20 yards; however, throws 1-10 yards had him below average, and he was the worst on throws of 20+ yards. Hard to win when you're not super accurate in the short game, especially if you're that bad at throwing the deep ball.

Anyway, this leads into my question about the checkdowns: are they afterthoughts, or is he quickly hitting backs in stride, giving them room to run after the catch? Brady is among the best, if not the absolute best, at the latter. For Rosen, I get the sense that it's the former, but I haven't seen anyone say it explicitly.

Awesome post. Thanks j-off

Fully agree here. And I love Hayden's feed.

Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady are so excellent at hitting the backs out of the backfield with great timing and great decision-making, based on what the defense is giving. I think the difference is Brady and Rivers know they're going to do that most of the time before the ball is snapped. I've heard Brady say that he knows where the ball is ultimately going before the snap like 80% of the time.

You're right when I hear that Rosen checks it down to the backs a lot, I would not automatically dismiss it. But I also have been around Alf a long time and I trust him to know when the checking down is either unnecessary (rushed), uncalled for (bad decision, not seeing something), or done with poor timing. Last year for example, Rosen had a LOT of poor timing throws. There were a lot of unnecessary second-window attempts. It made his receivers look worse than they are.

Ultimately we'll just see about this. We've got no choice. None of us can hit a button and shoot Josh Rosen out into the vacuum of space.

But I do look at Ryan Fitzpatrick's history of uneven performances, which he's continued here in Miami throughout OTAs, Mini Camps, and now Training Camp, and then I look at the fact the coaches very clearly favor Ryan Fitzpatrick over Rosen, and that's not a good sign for those who hope that Josh Rosen is secretly an elite franchise QB that people aren't recognizing as one because of {{{reasons}}}.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Is there no practice today? I haven't seen any reports here.

Back
Top Bottom