Trill Williams, Sam Eguavoen and the direction of this team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trill Williams, Sam Eguavoen and the direction of this team

The issue at WR going into next season is Williams, Fuller, Grant, and Wilson are all free agents. That means only Parker and Waddle are signed to a 2022 contracts at the WR position for the team.

The Dolphins will either have to sign a few of these free agent WR’s to larger contracts or spend a lot of money to bring in a top tier WR in free agency if one is available. They will likely be drafting toward the bottom of the first round in the 2022 draft and finding a top level WR at that position is usually a hit and miss proposition at best.

While I agree Fuller’s history could make him one and done with the Dolphins. It would be great if he can stay healthy and have a great season. He is still young enough and talented enough to be a player they can build around if he can stay healthy and be productive in 2021.
Williams will be a RFA, so he's not going anywhere unless we want to lose him... and Grant's time has come and gone, so no loss there.

Wilson is the guy that I think we might keep. He will be 30 and at that point in his career where he is a two year contract sort of guy. Oh, he'll want a raise, but it probably won't have to be huge.

...and I understand that most folks here value Fuller more than I do, but I just don't see him as a worthwhile expenditure in any year where we have other needs. This year, we could afford him, and no one else came forward with a big contract because of his injury history and the type of receiver that he is... he's a #2 at best. He's always been a high TD, low target guy because of the type of routes that he runs.

I've said this a number of times, so bear with me if you've heard it. Bowden, Williams, and Merritt MIGHT be out future (along with Waddle). All three are young, cheap, and developing... You, like me, are old so you probably remember the old adage about a WR stepping forward in their third year. This used to be the gold standard for a WR's development. If (yes... it's an if), but if these guys remain healthy and step up, they could be our core. Add in one more high draft pick (and we have a bunch) and we could have a very nice, very cheap crew of receivers.

It’s always comical to me how “fans” equate pro bowlers to success. We live in a world of stats and fantasy football and individual “success”. Flores is building a team that is selfless and putting team first. Those that do not follow the mantra are out. The Miami receiving corps this year could easily have five guys over 60 catches and 700 yards. The ball will be spread out to a committee of players. Similarly at RB. Similarly with the sexy stat of sacks. Stats get you into the Pro Bowl. They do not get you into the playoffs. The only stat we need to be concerned with are wins. This team is deep with RKGs (right kinda guys) and the culture is 100% changed from a combined quagmire of softness, mediocrity, embarrassment and leadership turnover. Dolphin Nation let’s pull together and support the process.
Do pro bowlers make success, or does success make pro bowlers?

Typically, bro bowl voting is a year or two behind reality for first time award winners.

If we build it, they will come.

Williams will be a RFA, so he's not going anywhere unless we want to lose him... and Grant's time has come and gone, so no loss there.

Wilson is the guy that I think we might keep. He will be 30 and at that point in his career where he is a two year contract sort of guy. Oh, he'll want a raise, but it probably won't have to be huge.

...and I understand that most folks here value Fuller more than I do, but I just don't see him as a worthwhile expenditure in any year where we have other needs. This year, we could afford him, and no one else came forward with a big contract because of his injury history and the type of receiver that he is... he's a #2 at best. He's always been a high TD, low target guy because of the type of routes that he runs.

I've said this a number of times, so bear with me if you've heard it. Bowden, Williams, and Merritt MIGHT be out future (along with Waddle). All three are young, cheap, and developing... You, like me, are old so you probably remember the old adage about a WR stepping forward in their third year. This used to be the gold standard for a WR's development. If (yes... it's an if), but if these guys remain healthy and step up, they could be our core. Add in one more high draft pick (and we have a bunch) and we could have a very nice, very cheap crew of receivers.
Add Adams to Bowden, Williams, Waddle, Merritt and I'm down with that. All cheaper and then your stud number 1

They have to make damn sure they target the right 1 or 2…FAs traditionally, by a large percentage, fall off with their new team.
Agreed... in general, I am not a fan of signing FAs to be more than bridge players. (Just as we've done lately) The only guy we've signed that we actually intended to keep was Jones (and possibly Ogbah).

If we sign a FA next year... a real one... to a 4 or 5 year contract, he'd better be a developing star.

At this point, it will most likely change. I resign Fuller and Wilson. Bowden replaces Grant. Trade DVP, sign Adams
I would be extremely happy with those WR’s but if Fuller has the type of season which garners him a multiyear contract with the Dolphins, I just wonder if they would have the cap space to sign another top tier WR like Adams. Of course if they could trade Parker that would free up $9 million in cap space but if he has another injury riddled season, I doubt any team would want to take on that contact based on his injury history.

If on the other hand he has a good year and avoids injury, his contract will actually make him a player the Dolphins might want to keep on the team in 2022 unless they can sign one of the top WR’s in free agency.

That was common years ago for WRs to take time, but bear in mind the differences in the college game then.

Top level collegiate programs have bigger better staffs these days, and most of them are running schemes that are a lot closer to NFL concepts.

Players are far better prepared in most cases than a couple decades in the past.

Not argueing at all, just pointing out something I believe is relavent.

I would be extremely happy with those WR’s but if Fuller has the type of season which garners him a multiyear contract with the Dolphins, I just wonder if they would have the cap space to sign another top tier WR like Adams. Of course if they could trade Parker that would free up $9 million in cap space but if he has another injury riddled season, I doubt any team would want to take on that contact based on his injury history.

If on the other hand he has a good year and avoids injury, his contract will actually make him a player the Dolphins might want to keep on the team in 2022 unless they can sign one of the top WR’s in free agency.
Parker's cost in 2022 is actually pretty low for a starter. 5.6M with another 600k in incentives.

It's the same for 2023.

The contract that he signed assumed that he would tail off due to age, it's a VERY reasonable contract if he remains healthy and productive.

That was common years ago for WRs to take time, but bear in mind the differences in the college game then.

Top level collegiate programs have bigger better staffs these days, and most of them are running schemes that are a lot closer to NFL concepts.

Players are far better prepared in most cases than a couple decades in the past.

Not argueing at all, just pointing out something I believe is relavent.
No, that is part of it... but some of these receivers did not come out of those type of programs. Merritt didn't. Neither did Preston Williams. Only Bowden came from a bigger program, and that was only Kentucky.

The guys I am holding up as potential breakthrough players are more likely to need a couple of years.

Agreed... in general, I am not a fan of signing FAs to be more than bridge players. (Just as we've done lately) The only guy we've signed that we actually intended to keep was Jones (and possibly Ogbah).

If we sign a FA next year... a real one... to a 4 or 5 year contract, he'd better be a developing star.
Aside from possibly the QB position, we (other teams as well) are staying away from those long term deals.

There's just too much risk, unless there is a built in easy out with minimal gaurantees.

I guess my point is, I dont expect us to be handing out any long term contracts to elite FAs.

Aside from possibly the QB position, we (other teams as well) are staying awayvfrom those long term deals.

There's just too much risk, unless there is a built in easy out with minimal gaurantees.

I guess my point is, I dont expect us to be handing out any long term contracts to elite FAs.
That's my preference. I've been called an accountant (and worse) because of my interest in the cap, but signing a FA can go so wrong in so many different ways.

Since this is a thread about the direction that a team takes, another point that I'd like to mention is how we handled the draft this year.

MANY... many of our posters yelled and screamed for us to draft 3 WRs in this year's draft... and that would have been a disaster. Can you imagine the bloodshed if we would have done that. How the Hell would we have rostered them?

We've been smart here... we've staggered the addition of every position but the line (which needed a complete and immediate re-build). We've chosen, instead, to bring in bridge players while we add a drafted player to each weak position, thus spreading out the contracts in a position group.

This is extremely wise with regard to the cap. Grier/Flores have set up a pipeline of expiring assets while attempting to enter into each year's draft with 8-10 picks. Sure, there is no immediate gratification for the fire-breathers, but there is a constant resupply of players coming, and this is quite possibly the thing that I admire about Grier the most.

Parker's cost in 2022 is actually pretty low for a starter. 5.6M with another 600k in incentives.

It's the same for 2023.

The contract that he signed assumed that he would tail off due to age, it's a VERY reasonable contract if he remains healthy and productive.
In looking up the Dolphins cap situation for 2022. The chart I looked at show him at $5.4 dead cap hit if he is released. If he is on the roster, he will count around $9 million dollars against the cap.

Maybe I’m looking at a different site than you are but the two sites I looked at regarding the Dolphins cap space in 2022 showed basically the same $9 million dollar cap hit for Parker next season. He would certainly be a bargain for the Dolphins or any team he might be traded to if his cap hit is the figure you listed and if he can remain healthy.

In looking up the Dolphins cap situation for 2022. The chart I looked at show him at $5.4 dead cap hit if he is released. If he is on the roster, he will count around $9 million dollars against the cap.

Maybe I’m looking at a different site than you are but the two sites I looked at regarding the Dolphins cap space in 2022 showed basically the same $9 million dollar cap hit for Parker next season. He would certainly be a bargain for the Dolphins or any team he might be traded to if his cap hit is the figure you listed and if he can remain healthy.
That is cap hit vs. new money.

He costs 2.7M per year in dead money due to his previous signing bonus. That part is gone already and can't be reclaimed.

That is cap hit vs. new money.

He costs 2.7M per year in dead money due to his previous signing bonus. That part is gone already and can't be reclaimed.
I would also note that all of any amortized $ becomes due against the cap that league year should the player no longer be with the team, even if it was scheduled to be due years down the road.

I was desperately trying to find a way to respond without being insulting....... I failed.....

View attachment 84453
This guy has powers bro. I was trying to find a provocative way to lure him in, but I just froze. @Ray R has an explanation for this I am sure. His times in the research and development in Roswell led him to find new rese
I don't know why I'm bothering, but here goes......

It's not because of one single post that ppl form thier overall opinion of a poster.

Some posters, because of posting history over time, come to be seen as just plain negative about everything.

It's fine, and fair, to criticize if that is one's opinion. Unless the poster also gives credit where due though, and only has focus for the negative, it gets old, and their opinions generally get dismissed as just the views of a constant malcontent.

Take that as you will. Just some food for thought.
Habitual downer posting.

Back
Top Bottom