Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Aikman reveals he almost came out of retirement to play for the Miami Dolphins

Well if Aikman is the most overrated QB of all time he would have fit like a glove on that ‘02 team— i.e. the most overrated Dolphins defense of all time.

totally agree, we had Jason, Sam, Surtain and Zack and the rest of those guys were just posers who choked every time the games were on the lines and we needed stops

totally agree, we had Jason, Sam, Surtain and Zack and the rest of those guys were just posers who choked every time the games were on the lines and we needed stops
Well, even though I think as a group they underperform their reputation, I'm also speaking to the attitude of some fans who act as if they were one of the NFL's great defenses. They were good to very good on their best days, but boy did the better teams have them figured out.

The Aikman rumor was around right after Fiedler buster his thumb against Denver in 2002. I remember reading about it then.

I am on board with that. Just like Emmit is not the greatest RB ever. A stat collector who had a killer oline, great WRs and fullback who put his life on the line for him
As far as I’m concerned the greatest above Emmit are Jim Brown, OJ, Sanders, Gale Sayres, Eric Dickerson, John Riggins and the greatest I’ve ever seen Walter Payton

But that cowboy offense were great collectively as a group
Good list, I'd have to say it's between Jim Brown & Payton. Sanders was my favorite RB, it's a shame he quit early otherwise he may have cemented himself as the best ever. He ran many of those yards behind a lackluster Lion's Oline, he created his own yards.

I remember hearing that rumor about Sanders as well back in the day, was hoping like hell it would happen that would’ve been a really great duo and I think they would’ve made the playoffs at the very least.
Sanders would probably have gotten pissed off because Dan would change to a passing pla y 90o/o of the time!

I remember hearing that rumor about Sanders as well back in the day, was hoping like hell it would happen that would’ve been a really great duo and I think they would’ve made the playoffs at the very least.
I remember it too. I was very disappointed when Sanders decided against coming to the Fins.

The 2002 Dolphins had a squad. All we were missing was an above average qb. That was actually the last time we had a legit contender.

Define success! In 02 we were 9-7 with a tough schedule and Ray Lucas playing 4 or 5 games. He literally blew 2 or 3 because he was so incompetent. In one of those games Ricky Williams has 200+ yards rushing. Aikman, albeit not great but better than Lucas/Fiedler, would have made that a playoff team. How far they go from there who knows but the AFC was weak.

to be clear I think the 02 team was the best team we’ve fielded in the last 20 years. It all went downhill after a huge win in Denver and Fiedlers thumb injury.
The 1990-1997 Aikman would’ve taken the 2002 Dolphins at least to the AFC Championship Game. The 2002 Aikman, the one who had to retire because of ten concussions, not so much.

Aikman was very mediocre. He would be a backup now. Only passed for 20+ TDs in 1 season AND only averaged 1 TD per gane during his career. He is the clear example of why it ia important to build a team an not focus on 1 position.

Aikman was very mediocre. He would be a backup now. Only passed for 20+ TDs in 1 season AND only averaged 1 TD per gane during his career. He is the clear example of why it ia important to build a team an not focus on 1 position.
The era was different, Marino, who's in the discussion for greatest QB of all time has a career 86 rating playing in that era...

You can say what you want about Aikman but if this was 02 that would have been a hell of a signing. That was a very good team that was grenaded by Ray Lucas and Fielder sucking, worse than he already did, when he came back from the thumb injury. That team beat up on Rich Gannon and his old WR’s than never won again. BTW the Raiders were the AFC super bowl team.

Aikman was a game manager but a better one than Fiedler.

I'm still bitter about that season. That was our year to win it and Wannstedt's incompetence blew it.

I don't think there's ever been a team besides us that went from #1 seed in the playoffs in week 15 to out of it entirely by the end of week 17.

We had the league leader in rushing AND the league leader in sacks and we missed the playoffs. Truly remarkable feat of incompetence.

I am on board with that. Just like Emmit is not the greatest RB ever. A stat collector who had a killer oline, great WRs and fullback who put his life on the line for him
As far as I’m concerned the greatest above Emmit are Jim Brown, OJ, Sanders, Gale Sayres, Eric Dickerson, John Riggins and the greatest I’ve ever seen Walter Payton

But that cowboy offense were great collectively as a group
I actually played HS Football with Emmitt at Escambia in Pensacola and he did it at EVERY level from Pop, to HS, to college, to the NFL. I hear a lot of people say it was his OL and anyone could run behind it. This proved to be inaccurate when he held out the first 2 games of the 93 season and they went 0-2, losing to Buffalo the team thy had just beat in the SB and the Redskins. They went 12-2 the rest of the way and on to another SB when he came back. The guy set up blocks better than any other RB in history and his pad level insured he hardly ever had negative plays and turned 2 yard gains into 4 yard gains routinely. He was also an amazing receiver and blocker for the QB. Then there is his longevity. Maybe not the most fun to watch or best runner, but absolutely one of if not the best all around backs to ever play the game!

Ok I think you guys are short sighted. Aikman was not great but we’re talking about upgrading Jay Fiedler and Ray Lucas. To me its an obvious upgrade. if we were talking about bringing in a QB to carry us to the playoffs I'd agree 100% but that is what Ricky was for. We lost 2 games were Ricky had 180, and 200 yards rushing due to incompetence at QB.

I liked Fiedler, to some extent, but Aikman is an obvious upgrade and yes those defenses did choke a lot but with better offensive play who knows.

Back
Top Bottom